Using the PC headphone out as a LINE OUT? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Using the PC headphone out as a LINE OUT?

I've acquired some (I hope) really nice studio monitors. My intention is to use them as my PC's speakers as well as recording with them. I've tested them and they work fine using my bass pre-amp's LINE OUT.

I need to obtain a Y-cable 1/8" to dual mono 1/4" for me to use this setup with my PC.

My question is simply this: is the PC headphone out going to properly "fill out" the sound when the self-powered monitors are wanting a LINE IN level signal? My Googling seems to indicate it will work but I want to know how best to get the best possible sound out of my meager gear.

I'm not averse to buying a new sound card but I'm not sure which would work well with a DAW unit like a M-Audio - Fast Track C600 since it has four microphone pre's built into it and that would work for 4-tracking drums (the classic "Bonzo / Led Zep" approach) if I go that far.

I've been toying with the idea of a Mac Mini or better but would that be an improvement with this issue or would I still have the same problem?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 06:27 AM

Re: Using the PC headphone out as a LINE OUT?

I've tried this years ago and decided I was never going to use the PC sound card for Digital recording or playback.
Your best bet is to a DAW for the monitoring.
DAWs work better with ASIO4All decreasing the latency timing better than any PC sound card can.
This can be a problem with the PC when you are listening to a track(s) and trying to record another track.
The PC has a delay that messes everything up when you're trying to listen and record at the same time.
The DAW handles everything outside the PC using its own processor, not the computers.
PC sound cards also tend to have a buzz of humming noise that comes through the speakers.
This noise comes from the power supply of the PC and is picked up by the sound card on most machines.
I use SONAR for recording.
I just set the playback output to two of the outs on my DAW basically funneling all the audio in to two channels for stereo playback.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Well the C600 unit's online manual says the LINE OUTs can be used the way I want so going directly out of the DAW would be the ticket.

But I also really wanted to use these monitors as PC speakers too. Maybe a A/B box is in order along with the DAW for switching.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 AM

A/B Box or just unplug and plug
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Well... great. The left studio monitor (but not the right???) distorts the picture on my CRT monitor (I like CRT over LCD, thanks).

AND I don't think it's a clean signal out. I hear noise with my muting the output out of the PC. So I cannot tell if it's the studio monitors, PC noise, interference or what.

Thoughts?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 02:41 AM

the magnet in the speaker is causing the distortion to your crt, will do it to lcd also more then likely.

you should be able to use a PC music recording interface as your primary sound device.
latency should not be an issue with todays technology. I havnt had any of these issues in years. an add in PCI/PCIe audio card or firewire is the way to go, not usb. usb shares the resources so your music doesnt get priority.

I use the Focusrite Saffire Pro 12 Firewire. no issues, no latency beyond human processing.

I also use an XFI Fatality Champion Series PCI card, and again 0 latency cause it uses the PCI BUS not USB.

I do recommend using a modern PC, with Windows 7, or MAC whatever it has.

Another issue that causes latency is using the IEE1394 chipset, I recomend using a texas instruments modern chip or equivlant chip. Using a cheap PC motherboard will have a crappy aftermarket firewire chip. MACs should have a good chip as they are the pioneers of firewire.

Your onboard audio chip is crap, it's the minimal required to hear audio, it's a weak processsor compared to an add in. also keep equipment away from the computer monitor.

Tags
line level , monitors , recording

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode