using a preamp with a pre/power amp head? bypass? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
using a preamp with a pre/power amp head? bypass?

Is there a way to bypass the preamp of a head so you could use a seperate preamp? Could you do this by plugging into the effects return? Is there any easy wayto do such a thing? perhaps use the clean channel of the amp and put the seperate preamp in the effects chain?

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:04 PM

Plugging into the effects return is the way to go.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

what are the advantages of using a seperate poweramp? do they have controlable dynamics?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:37 PM

You can mix and match preamps with poweramps to get the sound(s) you want.

I use a standalone power amp because all of my preamp sounds come from a digital modelling box.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

If you dont mind me askign darren, what do you use to process your sound before the poweramp? How do you set something like that up?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

do you need to do anything special before it gets to the poweramp? what poweramp do you use?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:22 PM

I use a Boss GT-6 plugged into a Peavey Classic 50/50 all-tube stereo power amp, then out into a Genz Benz G-Flex 212 cabinet. I also have a BBE Sonic Maximizer between the GT-6 and the power amp, but that's purely optional. Other than that, it's pretty much plug-and-play.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

verry interesting. Ive never heard of that before. Do you think it would work will with a POD XT pro into a tube poweramp? Do the tubes in the poweramp ballance out that digital processed tone?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:45 PM

Yes, i think a POD XT Pro would work very well with a tube power amp.

Lots of people tend to prefer tube power amps because they give the sound a bit more depth and "life" than solid state power amps. I was a naysayer up until about 6 months ago. I was happy with the tones the GT-6 was giving me, and just wanted pure, clean, uncoloured amplification of the sounds i created with headphones on. But i struggled to get a pleasing amplified tone.

Then i played my GT-6 through the clean channel of Dual Rectifier head that another guitarist graciously let me use onstage during a gig. The Mesa clean channel is just so lush. It's really hard to describe in rational terms. I was hooked.

After that experience, i was really close to buying a Mesa, but couldn't justify the expense for occasional weekend gigs. But the Peavey is great bang for the buck in a stereo tube power amp, and it really kicks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I think after playing for 5 years hell bent on an all tube set up... after reading the thread you just posted and doing some serious contemplating, I might be ready to go with something like this.

Pod XT Pro w/ pedalboard -> Power amp -> 2x12 cab.

Tags
bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , dual rectifier , genz benz , peavey classic , power amp , power amps , solid state power amp , sonic maximizer , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode