V-Pick Insanity - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

8Likes
  • 2 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By pteropid
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By FireEagle
  • 1 Post By fos1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

V-Pick Insanity

I bought an Insanity V-Pick which you can read about below. An important truth I was taught and subsequently learned was true is "Tension is the enemy of guitar playing."
The sentence I emboldened below, "It will teach you to play with a very relaxed hand, wrist and fingers," is what I wanted to find out. So far, I can definitely say the Insanity provides a different experience, but it still feels like I'm using a guitar pick, as opposed to a Crown Jewel. The word "teach" is probably more marketable than the word "force" but I would describe it as "a practice tool that forces your hand to relax." If you start to grip the Insanity harder, you notice. Most picks I use do not make me aware of how hard I'm gripping them. or at least not immediately. So in that sense, the Insanity has been useful by providing a different experience and perspective with potentially positive consequences.

When it comes to products like this, it is easy to write them off as a gimmick. I do it all the time. I think most guitarists do it all the time too. We would not do it if there was not a reason. The problem is it has become difficult to try out guitar gear/accessories without buying it first. So we don't buy it, we don't try it, and ideas with potential never really get a chance to realize that potential. Just a thought. If you do not feel how I have described the Insanity warrants buying one, you probably should not buy one. If you feel otherwise, you may want to give it a try. It is one pick you will probably never lose.

From the V-Pick website:

11.85mm –
1 3/8″ tip to tip –
Symmetrical –

The Insanity has attitude. Every one is hand made and each one is a different and unique piece of art. Are they perfect? Heck no! If you hold them up to the light, you will see each one has it's own characteristics. But each one is made with care, skill, and attitude. Each one has it’s own mojo, or else it gets thrown in the can.

The Insanity is the thickest guitar pick we make – 11.85mm. There are over 150 grinds involved in making this guitar pick, but its worth every one! Great for all kinds of playing. Its so easy to hold due to the thick design and gripping effect of this wonderful material. All V-PICKS are made of our own special blend of acrylic that tends to cling to your skin when you warm it with your touch. A lot of players with serious hand injuries have told us this is the only pick they can use. I am very honored and inspired every time I hear this. Remember, the bigger the pick, the bigger the tone. This is a perfect example of that. The Insanity is also a fantastic practice tool that can improve your right hand technique. It will teach you to play with a very relaxed hand, wrist and fingers. After playing for a week with this pick, you’ll be astounded how much better your technique will be!
"
FireEagle and fos1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Re: V-Pick Insanity

At $36.56 (on a quick check online) I am not likely to buy one... but it is interesting to imagine the physics of holding a larger object in your pick hand. I can imagine it being a bit easier to hold, resulting in a more relaxed picking hand. I battle tension in my left hand every time I pick up a guitar, but don't think about it in my right hand.

Thanks for the thought provoking post! Now what do I have laying around that I can make into a big fat pick??
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 03:33 PM
Contributor

Good grief, what a beast of a pick I'm...

...I'm intrigued and can't stop looking at the GIF image...

...Feeling hypnotized...

...Must buy Insanity pick, must buy Insanity pick...

...Hey just thought of something, I think I'll but an Insanity pick.

Seriously though, I'm definitely aware of holding picks too hard, so I'm going to give it a try. Worst case, if I don't use it I can hang it on my shelf, it looks pretty cool.
fos1 likes this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
At $36.56 (on a quick check online) I am not likely to buy one... but it is interesting to imagine the physics of holding a larger object in your pick hand. I can imagine it being a bit easier to hold, resulting in a more relaxed picking hand. I battle tension in my left hand every time I pick up a guitar, but don't think about it in my right hand.

Thanks for the thought provoking post! Now what do I have laying around that I can make into a big fat pick??
I had wanted to try one for a while but the price was a deterrent. Black Friday made buying one a little more "reasonable."

I can be a little more specific about what it feels like to use. When I grip the pick too hard it hurts, sort of like squeezing a rock between your thumb and index finger. To stop the pain, I lighten my grip (relax my hand).

Between autocross, writing/drawing with a pen, and using a guitar pick, the one thing they have in common is "relaxing your grip."
In autocross, you wiggle your fingers every once in a while on the steering wheel.
In penmanship, you simply do not grip the pen as hard.
In guitar, you go the Insanity (or similar) route.

Just an observation.
FireEagle likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
I had wanted to try one for a while but the price was a deterrent. Black Friday made buying one a little more "reasonable."

I can be a little more specific about what it feels like to use. When I grip the pick too hard it hurts, sort of like squeezing a rock between your thumb and index finger. To stop the pain, I lighten my grip (relax my hand).

Between autocross, writing/drawing with a pen, and using a guitar pick, the one thing they have in common is "relaxing your grip."
In autocross, you wiggle your fingers every once in a while on the steering wheel.
In penmanship, you simply do not grip the pen as hard.
In guitar, you go the Insanity (or similar) route.

Just an observation.

Sounds logical... I thought about it a bit last night too. Must be like the difference between holding a skinny writing pen or a nice comfortable sized pen. I also fight tension on my dirtbike (arm pump) when I race 2-hour hare scrambles, even a little bit on my flattrack bike if the track is nasty. Sometimes I subconsciously "death grip" the bars. I know it's a mental thing and you have to make a conscious effort to relax... but not too much! lol...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Sounds logical... I thought about it a bit last night too. Must be like the difference between holding a skinny writing pen or a nice comfortable sized pen. I also fight tension on my dirtbike (arm pump) when I race 2-hour hare scrambles, even a little bit on my flattrack bike if the track is nasty. Sometimes I subconsciously "death grip" the bars. I know it's a mental thing and you have to make a conscious effort to relax... but not too much! lol...
I'm reading a book called The Mind & The Brain so "mental things" are at the forefront of my mind right now. (The fact the V-Pick is called "Insanity" is a nice coincidence. ) Be safe on the bikes...or as safe as you can be.
FireEagle likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 08:29 PM

I may give it a try. But the price! You can buy bucket full of normal picks for that price.

I already use the V Pick Red Rocker. It is much thicker than normal. It is easier for my antique hand to hold.

Thank you for the review.

Jeff

PS. I love my RG Prestige and Genesis!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

As a public courtesy, if you enter this coupon code, 25%OFFPICKS , you will get 25% off the price of your V-Picks. It is pretty self-explanatory. I do not know how long this coupon code will work but it makes a difference so I thought I'd share it.
fos1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode