Vai using JCM 900's - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Vai using JCM 900's

I noticed from pictures Steve posted himself on Instagram for the Alabama symphony show that he was using jcm 900 heads instead of the legacy. He did have his signature carvin tube distortion preamp running into the effects loop of the Marshall. Has Vai gone back to his Marshall heritage heads because of the situation over at Carvin? Anyone have any insights into what amp he'll be using going into 2019?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 05:12 PM

Re: Vai using JCM 900's

I'd guess it was the backline that was easiest to get so he didn't have to haul his amps.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I'd guess it was the backline that was easiest to get so he didn't have to haul his amps.
That could be true, but he had all of his gear even Thomas N. You'd think because carvin isn't making Amps any more that Steve would naturally fall into another endorsement deal sooner than later. I dunno. But he was using 900's back in the sex and religion day!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester1234 View Post
I noticed from pictures Steve posted himself on Instagram for the Alabama symphony show that he was using jcm 900 heads instead of the legacy. He did have his signature carvin tube distortion preamp running into the effects loop of the Marshall. Has Vai gone back to his Marshall heritage heads because of the situation over at Carvin? Anyone have any insights into what amp he'll be using going into 2019?
Being free from any contractual obligation to Carvin means he can use whatever amps he likes, Marshall are the logical choice as suitor for an endorsement deal since they could afford it, therefore I'd see it as a subtle hint to Marshall, he's known to be extremely professional, loyal and undemanding as an endorsee, albeit expensive.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Being free from any contractual obligation to Carvin means he can use whatever amps he likes, Marshall are the logical choice as suitor for an endorsement deal since they could afford it, therefore I'd see it as a subtle hint to Marshall, he's known to be extremely professional, loyal and undemanding as an endorsee, albeit expensive.
Why would he be expensive? You saying Marshall would pay him to use their amps?... if he was like Satriani im and had a sig model im sure he would get a cut from each sale, etc but I doubt he would get a cent for using a Marshall Amp from the current lineup... maybe some freebies, etc?

I recall Rich saying a while back even Joe had to buy some of his own JS guitars?

I doubt the 'endorsement' thing is as lucrative as we all think.... unless you're a Kardashian
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 03:46 PM

Didn't Steve comment on how hes not a fan of current Marshalls on that Andertons video? I think he also mentioned he liked Orange, that collab would be cooler IMO.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 02:54 AM

IIRC, he said he didn't really like 800s, and preferred 900s. And yeah, noted liking Orange too.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Marshall doesn't have any shortage of artists. But let's face it this is Steve Vai. He ranks on all Lists of top guitarists for last 20 years. I have a 900 head, and I just about **** my pants when I saw Steve using it. I remember him saying he was using it for most of the sex and religion record. But I digress. Steve has a lot of endorsement deals and if he's using a Marshall, to me, thats like a smoke signal to Marshall to get this done. I'd want to if I were Marshall. But what do I know. Lol.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 04:23 PM

I've seen video of him using the Legacy drive pedal through a Marshall stack before. Kind of indicates his tone being primarily preamp driven I suppose, with the head only serving as a PA to drive the speakers. Its probably just that they are just a commonly available amp in various locations. Orange does seem likely as they are a bit on the dark sounding side, which balances out with EVOs. I'm going to Generation AXE at the end of the month, so it'll be interesting to see what he's running there.

Gear:
RG 2550 w/ evo2 breed neck
SZ520 paf pro neck stock bridge
RG920 Premium
Jem7V-WH
Marshall Haze 15
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:00 AM

He's only using the Marshalls as poweramps (basically whatever is available), using Carvin VLD1 as pre-amp for his own sound.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:54 PM

Going to see Vai at the Hardrock next month. Getting a Vip meet and greet. Sign some guitars My 20th and Steve Vai Bo Brmr. I will ask him whats going on with Marshall and maybe he will comment..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode