Vai's bad horsie - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Vai's bad horsie

What does he use?
I always imagined he used a seven string,
allthough I saw a live clip
with a down tuned Bad Horsie natural finish jem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 10:49 AM

He uses the Bad Horsie jem, tuned to drop-C, see it here, about 3/4 way down the page http://jemsite.com/axes/model/vai_jem2.htm
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 11:36 AM

Never made one bit of sense to me why he'd drop C tune a 6 when he could use a standard tuned 7.

~K
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 12:41 PM

ever wonder why its called the bad horsie jem?

the reason i think is that to do it in C on a standard tuned 7 would be more difficult cause you cant use the open chord C has to be 1st fret.

What i dont understand is why not have done it in B then it would have been an even BADDER horsie
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 12:54 PM

I thought it was in Drop C#- Drop D down a half step...

If this is the case (and i'm pretty sure it is), the reason he didn't use the 7 is because the harmonics would be off- they're a half step higher than they would be if you played the same riff on the seven.

That, and it's essentially a drop-D groove- the one finger chording is what makes it, especially when you consider i think i recall his playing the riff with a slide...

He probably wrote it in D, then thought, "this needs to be heavier." While it's possible to play the fretted pitches (and fake the harmonics) on a 7, it's more convenient on a 6. Really a question of the right tool for the job.

-Drew
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 02:18 PM

sory mate

its drop D and then the whole guitar down a tone not semi..

i'm 110% sure

track
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 02:25 PM
EKG

I thought it was a Drop D then tuned down 2 semi tones ;-)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by track7
ever wonder why its called the bad horsie jem?

the reason i think is that to do it in C on a standard tuned 7 would be more difficult cause you cant use the open chord C has to be 1st fret.

What i dont understand is why not have done it in B then it would have been an even BADDER horsie
He needed it dropped for the slide bit, and besides, he was probably just goofing around with tunings one day and accidentally wrote something he liked, so he went with it. He's doin' the same on the new album (read his logs). Tho Drop-A would be uber-horsie
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 03:37 PM

*grabs guitar and ALS CD*

I stand corrected. C it is.

-Drew
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

didn't he auction away the bad horsie some time ago?
how much did it go for?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Drop-A would be uber-horsie
That's how my 7-string is tuned (with the benefit of the high E string as well!). Once i get my 540R project done, it's going to be dedicated to dropped tunings as well. Damn, i can't believe i've been procrastinating on that project for nearly 2 years!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 01:19 AM

Location: Ft Lauderdale-Fl....oh man...women...women...women...
The "Bad Horsie" riff originally came from the end of the movie Crossroads, (where it was played in Drop-D), Vai wanted to re-visit the riff and beef it up a bit, hence-Playing it down a step lower than originally, and also, Bad Horsie was an ash bodied guitar....for thicker tone...(why not mahogony?).
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 01:39 AM

HEY ANDY!! Long time no hear
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy J Dampier
and also, Bad Horsie was an ash bodied guitar....for thicker tone...(why not mahogony?).
Take a Stratocaster.

Put heavy guage strings on it.

Tune it to drop-C

Strum.

Repeat with a Les Paul.

I GUARENTEE you that, through a good crunchy high gain amp, the strat will sound heavier. It's counter-intuitive, because mahogany is the first body wood that comes to mind for a "heavy" sound, but mahogany is really more of a lower-mid sort of thing. The frequencies it emphasizes are great for a standard-tuned guitar- it'll give you a nice, fat sound. However, as you detune, what you really need is definition. Alder has more of an upper mid prescense, with great treble sparkle and firm if not overprominant bass. When you drop down to C or below, alder IMO just comes alive: you get this amazing deep attack and huge resonance.

I set up my strat for bari tuning while trying to transcribe a Strangers With Candy riff, and even with 9-52's on it (read: flabby strings), i was so floored by how massive it sounded that i just NEEDED to get a 7. Turns out it wasn't just the tuning, and if i ever have the cash, i'll be going to Eddie for a custom alder-bodied 7-string.

I think the bigger question though would be basswood vs. alder, seeing as most of his Jems prior to ALS are basswood... Personally, i feel basswood has a very "neutral" tone which i rather like, but once you've heard an alder guitar detuned...

-Drew
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Drop-A would be uber-horsie
That's how my 7-string is tuned (with the benefit of the high E string as well!). Once i get my 540R project done, it's going to be dedicated to dropped tunings as well. Damn, i can't believe i've been procrastinating on that project for nearly 2 years!
Yea, I switch between standard 7-string tuning and drop-A all the time.

Tags
darren wilson , guage strings , high gain amp , horsie jem , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode