Vai's Marshalls - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Vai's Marshalls

Iv seen on Vai's website he uses 1 or 2 marshalls. i know for sure 1 of them is a jcm800... do you know if it moded? somebody else told me he had a jcm2000 or something and moded it... does anybody know if this is true and if so what did he do to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Gex

Re: Vai's Marshalls

I kinda doubt the he has a JCM2000.

The JCM 800s vai uses are HEAVILY modified by Lee Jackson ( www.leejackson.com )
Some of my most favorite tones came from those amps (Eat em and Smile, Passion and Warfare)

Im not sure, but I think he used some JCM 900's for a short time during the early 90's. I have an add on my computer for a "Vai Rig Sweepstakes" or something like that, and you could win certain things from vai's rig, like an Eventide harmonizer, Universe guitar, ect, and one of them was a JCM 900 stack. Whether he actually used one or not is debatable, I suppose.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 07:26 PM

whats a point of getting a jcm ----- if your jsut heavily modding it... jsut get a amp already close to the sound you want..
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:46 PM

Reviews: 6

cuz sometimes there isn't an amp that gets the sound you want
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 PM

if you want a vintage marshall sound and are on a budget the carvin x-100b is your amp. It is a fairly simple layout and i don't think it would be much to have one modded. Steve used them as well as frank zappa, i am not sure how steve got the sound he did out of them but none the less they are great amps and are extermly loud.

They are growing more and more popular as people rediscover them and find that they are a extremly good vauled amp and can rivial most vintage marshalls under the right conditions.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Gex

Actually, I'm planning on getting a Carvin X-100B for my next amp.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 04:21 PM
MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
I kinda doubt the he has a JCM2000.

The JCM 800s vai uses are HEAVILY modified by Lee Jackson ( www.leejackson.com )
Some of my most favorite tones came from those amps (Eat em and Smile, Passion and Warfare)

Im not sure, but I think he used some JCM 900's for a short time during the early 90's. I have an add on my computer for a "Vai Rig Sweepstakes" or something like that, and you could win certain things from vai's rig, like an Eventide harmonizer, Universe guitar, ect, and one of them was a JCM 900 stack. Whether he actually used one or not is debatable, I suppose.
One of them is a Lee Jackson mod, while the other two are Jose Arredondo-modded. He used them during the DLR and Whitesnake days, and probably used them on Passion and Warfare also. Steve recently looked into selling them as he no longer uses them, but nobody made the right offer...

Mikey
vai.com
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 09:27 PM
Gex

oh damn.

Whats the going price?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 10:17 PM

His #1 Marshall was a 1971 Super Lead modded by Lee Jackson.

He also has a JCM 800 modded by Lee Jackson but that is mostly a backup to the 71 to my knowledge.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
Actually, I'm planning on getting a Carvin X-100B for my next amp.
Great choice! I wouldn't mod it though, I've only ever heard from folks that modded them that they regretted it. Here's mine (taken this morning):
http://jim777.com/images/bobNpat/both_w_amp.JPG

jim
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Gex

its gorgeous.

I must ask the noob question: DO YOU HAVE N E SOUNDCLIPZ PLZ THNKZ.

But seriously, do you have any soundclips or videos of you playing it? I've never come across a X-100B, but it sounds like what I'd like from the countless reviews ive heard.

I wasnt planning on modding it, haha, im not rich.

Thanks Jim.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 02:59 PM

I have an article where he said that his favorite amp was the JCM 900. I think that was around the Sex and Religion era. That was actually why I bought my JCM 900. To bad mine turned out to be a POS. Damn thing was always blowing up!
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 03:03 PM

Oh yeah, and he also has said that he always loved that X100B, but they pretty much MADE him use Marshalls with DLR.

Did anyone else get the free Carvin DVD? LOTS of cool stuff on there. Over two hous long, and over an hour of bonus material. For FREE!
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Great choice! I wouldn't mod it though, I've only ever heard from folks that modded them that they regretted it. Here's mine (taken this morning):
http://jim777.com/images/bobNpat/both_w_amp.JPG

jim
Good old Spongebob .

Regards

André

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 09:03 PM

it is not just the AMP don't forget the rack he uses too.

Tags
amp head , fire garden , frank zappa , guitar shop , john petrucci , lee jackson , local guitar center , mesa boogie , modded marshall , power amp , power amps , solid state power amp , sounding guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode