Valve King 212 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Valve King 212

I've seen a lot of interest in these amps but not much in the way of user reviews so I thought I'd share. I just picked up a VK212 a few days ago to replace my new Marshall AVT50 which turned out to be a real dissapointment.

So I guess since these are assembled in China Peavey is able to sell them cheap but this amp in no way looks, sounds, or feels cheap. The cleans are crisp, clear, and loud. The gain channel runs the gamut for mild to almost modern metal - but not quite up to the modern high gain you'd probably get from a JS or 5150 type of amp. No complaints by me though, there's plenty enough gain in there for my hard-rock purposes.

The amp is abominably LOUD, which is of course a good thing. In my humble music room in the basement I've yet to turn it up to even "1" while jamming along to some cd's. I'll be jamming with a band next week so I'll get to open it up a bit and see what's doing. The texture control allows for a nice range of tones and the addition of Resonance and Presence controls really helps to further sculpt your tones.

It has that characteristic 'organic' tone that most good valve amps share. Very responsive to player dynamics. My AVT sounded thin and boxed in where the VK sounds very fat, round, and warm with plenty of presence.

I tested it out first with my Fender Big Apple Strat which sounded killer then I finally got around to plugging in the JEM7vwh and it sounded even more killer. My only complaint is the slight delay when going from the clean channel to the gain channel, and when going to the volume/gain boost. I understand there's a circuit or something you can pull to remedy this issue. It's not a big deal but it is noticable, especially when kicking in the boost for a solo. You have to know just when to hit it.

All in all this is a killer amp and an outstanding value. Hopefully it'll withstand the test of time. One day I'll get around to a new set of tubes which I'm sure could only make this thing better but as-is I'm very pleased.

$550.00 with remote pedal. Best deal I could find. Most sell for $579 without the pedal. I would have loved to go for a JS or something a little higher-end but this was my price point and I think at this is probably the best thing going at this level.

There ya go. Now if I could just stop buying gear my wife will be VERY happy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:50 AM

Re: Valve King 212

thanks for the review.. its a amp im looking at getting in the future when I can save some cash.. Which means there will probably 8 new ones out by then LMAO
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

If you do opt for a VK I'd say the 212 is worth the extra $$ over the 112. The Resonance and Presence controls really make a difference on the 212 and the head version.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 AM

I've got the ValveKing 112 (for sale if anyones interested). Great amp. I also owned the AVT50, although I don't think it's as bad as you make it sound.

I also thought the ValveKing approaches 5150 gain. I've had it cranked full out. Sounds really good. I was surprised at how tight it sounds even with an open back cabinet design. It does a great range of classic rock to metal tones. I put some JJ 12AX7's in the V1 and V3 position and a GT 12AX7M in the V2 position. Sounded even better.

Overall, it's a really great amp, especially for the price. I don't think there's much of anything better than the Valveking for the price, especially for an ALL TUBE amp.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:55 AM

Thanks for posting. VK has impressed me as well, I just don't know which model to get. I too would appreciate the resonance and presence controls of 212, but its wattage and size are completely overkill for my needs. The thing is, it costs only 30 more than 112 here in Europe, so maybe I should just get it and live with the hernia and deafness it may cause me.

The head would be a lot nicer to carry around, but getting a decent cab like Framus CS212 to go with it would make the set a bit expensive.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 09:51 PM

I just ordered a 112 ($300 shipped). I'm just learning guitar after years of living my guitar life through my son. I was really impressed with the valveking after listening to it in a local shop a couple weeks ago. Also, thanks to Bammbamm I have a RG570 on the way.

Btw, the 112 version does have a Resonance switch on the rear, but no presence control. It's also 50w instead of 100w.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 10:20 PM

I agree. The Valveking really seems to be a sleeper, right now. Wait till everyone else learns about how great this sub-$600 amp sounds.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerx2k View Post
I agree. The Valveking really seems to be a sleeper, right now. Wait till everyone else learns about how great this sub-$600 amp sounds.
+1

Tags
marshall avt , tube amp , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode