VHT 100CL Question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
RGN

VHT 100CL Question

I just bought a VHT 100CL w/Reverb and it sounds great. One issue, the reverb was cranked (way to much) when I brought it home and it was howling really bad (on the high gain channel). Once I turned the reverb down it stopped completely but is this reverb howl a normal thing? None of my Marshall heads have ever done this.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 12:11 AM

Did you buy the CL used?
Either way, almost any high gain amp with built in reverb will do this. You may want to try turning the bass control down a little, either in the channel or EQ if you have one.
It is a common reverb feedback caused by low frequencies.
This will usually happen at higher volumes. It's from the sound of your amp being picked up by your pickups and creating a feedback loop.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2003, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
RGN

It is new. The more I use it the more I like it. I barely use any reverb so at my setting I am getting no howl anymore. This was happening at very low volume levels earlier. I haven't got a chance to crank her up yet...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
RGN

It was a bad tube in the reverb section. My dealer ordered a new one and this issue should be fixed completely.

He also thought the amp was a little noisy so he switched the Sovtek 12AX7s for Svetlanas and it is really screaming now.

Killer amp. I really like it. I am using a G-Force for reverb so its bad tube isn't really a factor anyway.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 07:04 PM

Spring reverb kills even G-Force's spring reverb mode. When you fix the amp, be sure to try it out. I've sold my G-Force not so long ago. I run straight into the amp without any effects in the effect loop and I'm pretty happy about the tone I get.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 08:22 AM

Hi RGN,

I hope you don't mind me asking a question about your VHT (I couldn't seem to send a private message) but I am looking to purchase a good quality amp head and although I haven't tried the VHT they have come recommended and one shop said it was the best amp (100CLX) that they had ever heard - period !
I was also looking at a) Soldano Decatone, b) Boogie Dual Rectifier, c) ENGL, d) Cornford MK50H (single channel is putting me off this one) and even the d) Peavey 5150 MKII has got good reviews and is half the price.
I want 3 channels and looking clean channel 1, big distortion and huge bottom end on channel 2 and lots of gain for the solo channel. Would you mind letting me know why you chose the VHT ? I was going to get a Marshall 4x12 with V30's to go with it. I currently use a MKIV Boogie Combo and a 1x12 extension speaker but it does not "Cut it" for me anymore !
(Oh yes I use a 7VWH & 7BSB)
Cheers

Eddie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
RGN

I haven't actually tried the CLX but I hear it is very nice also. It is a lot more expensive than the two channell CL like I have.

I was looking at three amps- the Bogner Uberschall, the Soldano Hot Rod 50 and the VHT CL. I had 2 JCM2000 heads and an old plexi. I compared the VHT to the Uberschall side by side and I liked the VHT better. I was ready to buy a Uberschall walking in. Quality wise about the same and my friend's Uberschall has been sent back twice for repairs. Trouble with the fiber optic stuff. I didn't really get to spend much time with the Hot Rod 50. It was very nice but it was a friends and I had no dealer close.

The new Decatones are nice. I like a simple rig and didn't want 3 channels. I just don't like Boogie. I think the quality is good but they just don't sound good to my ear. I have owned a couple and tried to like them but just couldn't.

As far as the clean channell, I think the JCM2000s have the best clean for a high-gain head. My VHT's clean channell is OK but it isn't going to be confused with a Fender by any means. The Uberschall's clean isn't great either. I hear the Ectasy has a great clean channel.

I am running my VHT though a Genz-Benz 4X12 w/ celestians and it kills. I traded in a full Marshall stack and one JCM2000 DSL100 for this rig and I don't regret it. I have one very solid JCM2000 DSL50 (an underrated head IMO)as a backup. I am only using a G-Force and a Wah. Let me know if you have any questions man.

Tags
amp head , bogner uberschall , boogie dual rectifier , dual rectifier , high gain amp , spring reverb

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode