vht pitbull 100cl vs the UL and clx - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
vht pitbull 100cl vs the UL and clx

Ok, other than the fact that the UL and CLX have 3 channels to the CL's 2; what's the difference? I wouldnt think that 1 channel and 20 watts of power would be enough to cost over a grand more. Are the pitbull CLs pretty good or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 04:05 PM
Banned

The Ultra Lead uses KT88 power tubes which blow away 6L6 and EL84's for power, clarity and tight bottom end. They also produce alot more real power. There are also different textures and gain stacking capabilities.
I currently have several VHT amps including the ones that you mentioned. And since I'm a big rack guy, I am using VHT Valvulator GP3 preamps and the 292 power amps. They are identical to the Pittbull Ultralead with Midi control added.
Ultralead and CLX:
The Ultra-Lead & Hundred/CLX designs share the legacy of the first true 3-channel tube amplifier on the market. These 100-plus watt amplifiers are state of the art, offering an array of features and simplicity of operation unique in all of ampdom.
The flagships of the Pittbull® line, the Ultra-Lead & CLX now feature Gain-Stacking™ in the Lead and Rhythm channels. Preset your channel gains for subtle, biting clean, robust, chunky rhythm, or searing, pummeling overdrive, then let the footswitch do the rest.

The cleanest, quietest effects loop in the world just got better with the addition of a switchable parallel mode. Mix the true amp sound with your favorite effect or process the entire pre-amp signal. The choice is yours.

Guitar Player Magazine described the Pittbull the best: "The VHT Pittbulls... deliver all the features you expect from a modern rock amp. Super high gain, an intelligent effects loop, bullet-proof construction and super clean tones --- something the others seem happy to ignore."

The Ultra-Lead's KT88 power section provides ample clarity and definition in the clean mode as well as in the full-on high gain channels. If more low mid-range punch is your game, just switch the power tubes and experience maximum 6L6 expression.

Guitar World Magazine wrote: "...the well-built, cleanly designed Ultra-Lead is aimed directly at no-excuses professional players... Whether you're after versatility, great tone, or sheer volume, the VHT Pittbull® clearly comes with an equally impressive measure of bark and bite."

For those who prefer more power amp distortion and less preamp gain, the Hundred/CLX is the ultimate EL34-based amplifier delivering in excess of 100 watts RMS of smooth, dynamic Class A/B power into 4, 8 or 16 ohms.

For smaller venues, the Dual-Class™ mode offers the choice of Class A, Class A/B or both. Unlike the combination Class A/B-Triode mode employed by others, Dual-Class™ gives you true cathode bias operation on demand. Fat'n honkin in the Half Power mode, or chunky 'n sweet when combined with Class A/B at full power.

Prefer 6L6 chunk to EL34 bite? You'll get more than just a bias change when you switch to 6L6 Pittbull® power. No other production amp gives you both screen current and bias voltage compensation when switching power tubes.

And this is the CL:

There's really nothing like sound of a cranked 50-watt amp. The perfect balance of power amp clip and transformer saturation makes your fingers come alive.
With the Fifty/CL, we've combined two of our most popular preamp voicings with an EL34 50-watt power package that's already becomming our latest runaway best seller.

Offering Gain-Stacking™, foot switchable boost and Series/Parallel effect loop, you'll think this is the most feature-packed 50 on the planet. But just to make sure, we've added our new Class A mode switch, Tube Rectifier and 6L6/EL34 switch. And there's more -- an optional, 3 spring Accutronics tube-driven reverb and a six band assignable graphic E.Q.

Once you fire up the Fifty/CL, you'll know you've heard the last word in 50-watt glory.

We haven't forgotten about you diehard 100-watt fanatics. Our Hundred/CL has all of the features of the Fifty/CL with power mode and optional twin Tube Rectifiers give maximum dimension to the 100-watt class.

Whether you prefer 6L6 punch or EL34 cruch, the Hundred/CL gives you features, style and unbeatable performance.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 04:49 PM

Reviews: 1
Boy, thats a lot of cutting and pasting...

SO much for a hands-on report.

Bamm
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 05:48 PM

Well...at least we know Valvulator's web browser works!

I'm thinking that somebody didn't do so well in Creative Writing class...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 05:50 PM

I think if texshred wanted a report on this from information already on the net, I'm sure he'd do a google search.

I believe his intent was to have forum members give personal reviews, not reviews by others such as magazines and the like...

Gabe
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValvulatorGP3
if it's a head The Diezel will kill everything out there. They are the absolute best heads I have ever owned in my life. Next would be the Pittbull Ultralead heads. Then it trickles down from there.
All that copying of text for what Valvulator calls the second best amps in the world. I'd love to see what he'd say about his beloved Diezels.

Come on folks if you yourself own or have owned a VHT like the ones texshred's interested in, post up your own reviews. not seemingly someone else's
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Banned

Are you guys complete idiots. I started off in my own words, then pasted the info from VHT's website for HIS convenience. He wanted to know the difference between the models, and theirs is pretty damn accurate.

I personally think the UltraLead is the best AFFORDABLE amp in the industry. You cannot beat it's versatility, accuracy, and true tube tone.
It can mimmick the best of the best boutique amps out there, and still has it's own sound. The only amp it can't compare with is the Diezel, but that's almost 3X more $$$$
Go to a store and see if the tones grab your ear and heart. Noone can tell you what you like to hear in an amp. But just be sure to play with every nuance for at least an hour or two. You will not be sorry if you get one. But just like any tube amp out there, make sure you play the one you're going to buy before buying it. These amps make Mesa Boogies look like little kiddy toys.
If you like to hear true tone,have total control over your sound, and skull crushing power, Get one.....

Just my .02
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Are you guys complete idiots.
No - you are a complete idiot... just look at your posts.

Gabe
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 10:38 PM
Vendor

Valve has made some strong statements, retracted a few, but in general is fitting in very well. Maybe we should all lay off a little and let him express his opinions in the way we each expect to express our own?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 11:01 PM

I think Dave Weiner has had some experience using VHT amps and I think vwall has too.....I think. Maybe you should email or PM them.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Valve has made some strong statements, retracted a few, but in general is fitting in very well. Maybe we should all lay off a little and let him express his opinions in the way we each expect to express our own?
Did you read the Rusty thread which he avoided when we asked him to prove himself after he said many 12-15 year olds could play at Rusty's level but could come up with any names? Plus he said he could name 100 guitarists that could make him look like he never picked up the guitar which he never did. I say he's all talk and he's complete bull.

Valve - I offer you webspace to prove yourself and you avoid everything. I'm not about to stop to 'lay off a little' until you can backup your statements. Your opinions mean nothing until this so get with it.

Bottom line - he expressed his opinion and didn't have any solid data to back it up - just like most of his posts. If he can shed some light on this and then we can respect Valve's opinion. Until then...

Gabe
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:37 AM
Vendor

Yea, I've followed pretty much anything. I sure didn't say you had to respect his opinion, just to let him express them. I'm sure we'd all love to know if he's the reincarnation of Tommy Tedesco or just spinning alot of yarn, and I probably stuck my nose somewhere it shouldn't have been, again.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Nickelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Did you read the Rusty thread which he avoided when we asked him to prove himself after he said many 12-15 year olds could play at Rusty's level but could come up with any names? Plus he said he could name 100 guitarists that could make him look like he never picked up the guitar which he never did. I say he's all talk and he's complete bull.

Valve - I offer you webspace to prove yourself and you avoid everything. I'm not about to stop to 'lay off a little' until you can backup your statements. Your opinions mean nothing until this so get with it.

Bottom line - he expressed his opinion and didn't have any solid data to back it up - just like most of his posts. If he can shed some light on this and then we can respect Valve's opinion. Until then...

Gabe
Like I've said before if you were paying attention, I will have my site up in a couple months, maybe sooner.
Sorry if you can't understand what playing good gear is all about, so keep your comments to yourself, you troll.
Like I've also said, your more than welcome to come to my studio and see for yourself. I've also pointed out the fact that there are 100 guitarists alone on guitar9.com that prove my point.
I didn't realize that I was not allowed to have my own opinion on a players style. Keep your brown nose up rusty's ass, and see how far you get as a well rounded guitarist.......
It's people like you that make these forum websites a drag.
Let me ask you a question Gabe....
When was the last time that you were asked to demo a major companies gear at NAMM????
Yeah... Thats what I thought.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Like I've said before if you were paying attention, I will have my site up in a couple months, maybe sooner.
Sorry if you can't understand what playing good gear is all about, so keep your comments to yourself, you troll.
Like I've also said, your more than welcome to come to my studio and see for yourself. I've also pointed out the fact that there are 100 guitarists alone on guitar9.com that prove my point.
I didn't realize that I was not allowed to have my own opinion on a players style. Keep your brown nose up rusty's ass, and see how far you get as a well rounded guitarist.......
It's people like you that make these forum websites a drag.
Let me ask you a question Gabe....
When was the last time that you were asked to demo a major companies gear at NAMM????
Yeah... Thats what I thought.
Bite *(*$%(* £)($*^% * £$"$ £$ that's better isn't it? Jono Do I think there are better guitarists than Rusty??? yes. You just slam him because you claim you can play his level but you are a complete ass eater to not prove yourself. I'm supporting him because you are a complete fake. I offered you the web space to prove it and you wouldn't answer.

You are a leech and an unwanted soul. Begone and we'll continue our lives normally.

Bye bye.
Gabe
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 01:04 AM
Vendor

Yup, stuck my nose where it shouldn't have been.

Careful Gabe, Valve's a 2nd degree Showlin Priest

Careful Valve, Gabe sleeps with a Desert Eagle

To your corners.

Tags
amp distortion , clean tone , dave weiner , foot switch , mesa boogie , power amp , power amp distortion , power amps , preamp gain , rusty cooley , tube amp , tube saturation , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to set up pitbull
vht pitbull ultra lead what cab?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode