Vista: How to unmute your line in??! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Vista: How to unmute your line in??!

Just got a WICKED laptop (major gassing)--- it has vista, im ready to start using my pod, i dont need it for recording right now.. i want to be able to hear the pod through my speakers.. i.e. -- put the pod into my speaker mix, unmute the line in... any one go through this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 03:10 PM

Re: Vista: How to unmute your line in??!

if you're using a Creative SoundBlaster audio card, I know Vista's been having MAJOR trouble with compatability with the SoundBlaster. Drivers (seem to) work, it detects it, everything seems fine, but Soundblasters just don't work well with Vista. It's an anomaly.

Out of curiosity, what are the specs of this wicked laptop (CPU speed, hard drive, RAM, vRAM, etc.)? Make/Model?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

ive found quite a few ways to fix it ( registry, drivers, etc etc) but none actually work for what i am running..

Dell XPS 1710

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB), Genuine
Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)

LCD Panel 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™

Memory 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM

Video Card 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

Hard Drive 160GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive

Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium

Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card and Modem

Optical Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability

Sound Options Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™ HD Software Edition

Wireless Networking Cards Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N

Hardware Support Services 3 Year Next Busines Day Onsite/In Home Service and Technical Support
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:13 PM

vista sucks - install xp
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post
vista sucks - install xp
1- the interface is 10x better then xp
2- i haven't encountered any bugs except for this issue, which has to do with the soundcard.
3- vista is the new OS, you are going to have to upgrade sooner or later
4- It takes about 5 minutes to figure things out if you know anything about computers.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
2- i haven't encountered any bugs except for this issue, which has to do with the soundcard.
4- It takes about 5 minutes to figure things out if you know anything about computers.
thank you. the only reason my dad doens't wana upgrade is because vista needs more power to run on.... my dad wants an OS that quickly boots up (30 seconds or less) and doesn't need much power.

but i would go to the sound settings, and try there. i don't have vista, but on my xp pro, it automatically does it. go to where you change the volume control. try there
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
thank you. the only reason my dad doens't wana upgrade is because vista needs more power to run on.... my dad wants an OS that quickly boots up (30 seconds or less) and doesn't need much power.

but i would go to the sound settings, and try there. i don't have vista, but on my xp pro, it automatically does it. go to where you change the volume control. try there
my system def boots up fast.. .. as for power.. duz he mean battery life??

as for the sound settings.. i know what im doing.. its that i dont have the option to include the linein/mic in into the mix..
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 PM

power as in the amount of processing power, ram and HDD space needed. it just costs more to get a pc to run it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
1. Maybe it looks prettier, but it sure as hell is buggier.
2. How long have you had the machine and you've already run in to a problem?
3. Vista's the new OS? All of it's "new" features have been in Mac OS since 2001.
4. Yes, I do know computers, and from personal troubleshooting tech experience, I can tell you Vista's a royal pain in the ass and hogs so many system resources it's not even funny.

XP is much more efficient. It's the old addage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Windows could have done a MUCH better job. I'd be willing to try Vista after the first Service Pack though, see if they can iron it out to be less buggy, a little more efficient, and hog less system resources. Who wants the future when you have minimum system requirements like Vista?

Booting in 30 seconds? I've NEVER had a Windows machine that boots in 30 seconds. My mac boots in about 18 seconds though.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 PM

i want an OS that can boot up in 10 seconds or less.... and be able to run games and stuff....
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 11:57 PM

Reviews: 12

i'd never thought I'd answer a simple computer q in a guitar forum. I'm using an audigy2 [mainly for gaming] the solution is:

Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices,
in the Volume Tab, click on [Advanced],
Play control window will pop up
Click _options, then properties
the mixer device should be selected to your soundcard... if so...
check boxes to select channels to appear in Play control window, then [ok]
the volume controls for your selected Play outputs should appear...
unmute your line-in channel

Reg
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 AM

a month ago I bought a brand new PC with vista for ONE purpose only.
not the internet, not e-mail, not gaming or office work...

I needed to run a device from the parallel port...

guess what - vista couldnt do it - I had to actually return the machine and when the store asked for a reason for the return I said in all truthfulness "its got windows vista on it" they didnt bat an eyelid -they just refunded me

then I dragged out a old AMD 1600+ K7 system out from under the stairs and fitted a new motherboard & harddrive - installed XP and.... would you believe it - it worked...

BTW - this was after installing the vista drivers for a PCI parallel port card that I bought, the drivers installed OK but vista could cope with assigning memory resources etc and there were conflicts all over the system - it was like using windows 95
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Don't buy a computer with Vista on it yet. Stick with Xp for the moment, and wait for the first Vista service pack. At the moment Vista is having major driver issues, and it's still very buggy. Xp works fine(for a Microsoft product).

Rock on!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
1.) It's 10x prettier and cooler looking and the like, but it also uses about 10x more system resources. For a surf-the-net machine, that's cool. For a recording machine, no way.
2.) Rather, it has to do with Vista's ability to recognize Soundblaster drivers. You didn't have that problem in XP, did you?
3.) that's the angle Microsoft is pushing. Vista sales are currently around 50% below expectations, and I've read interviews with Microsoft insiders saying that options on the table include discontinuing XP to force everyone to upgrade to Vista. Personally, I'd rather choose an OS based on operating ability, and not whether or not it's the newest product.
4.) then why are you asking this question here? Go spend five minutes researching how to unmute your sound card, and don't waste our time!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasbane View Post
i'd never thought I'd answer a simple computer q in a guitar forum. I'm using an audigy2 [mainly for gaming] the solution is:

Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices,
in the Volume Tab, click on [Advanced],
Play control window will pop up
Click _options, then properties
the mixer device should be selected to your soundcard... if so...
check boxes to select channels to appear in Play control window, then [ok]
the volume controls for your selected Play outputs should appear...
unmute your line-in channel

Reg
Nope, Does not work, this would be the logical thing to do.. There is nothing for me to unmute..
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode