Volume Pedal that will NOT affect tone AT ALL! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Volume Pedal that will NOT affect tone AT ALL!

Hey ppl, I'm looking for a volume pedal that won't color my tone AT ALL. I don't mind it introducing a little noise as long as my tone is still there. If you know my rig, then you know I'm completely hardnosed in my stance. Money is not a concern.

As a metric for what I'm after, when the volume pedal is set to be all the way up, it should sound as tho you aren't even using a volume pedal.

Thanks, Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 02:55 AM

what volume pedals have you tried till now? which one gave you this problem?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 09:50 AM

Get an Ernie Ball.
It's direct wired. If you feel the need, you can always upgrade the internal wiring to heavier guage wire.
Don't forget your George L's cables if you want true sound.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:35 AM

I second the Ernie Ball. Stay away from any that require power (Morley). I have both and the EB is transparent.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 02:32 PM

It was my understanding that an EB pedal gave a slight boost when it was nose down... or is that adjustable?

-Drew
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:20 PM

Mine doesn't. You can adjust the taper, and I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem adjusting where the pedal throw ends on the pot. Seems like a really simple mechanical design.
Anybody else notice if theirs has a boost effect?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 01:40 AM

No boost; it's passive. The max it can give is 'no loss'...
I have two; I use them as expression pedals for wah and volume - they're built like tanks.
(Tested 'em out as regular volume pedals first, to make sure they were working as intended, then hooked 'em up to the Bradshaw controller. Nice as expression pedals.)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Cool, I guess I'll try and snag an EB.

Anyone have any experience with any less mainstream pedals?

Thanks, Rich
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 11:48 PM

Steel players and a lot of country cats use Goodrich pedals... They're very high quality, low profile volume pedals, built like tanks, utterly transparent, and maybe the only production volume pedal I've ever seen that is better than an Ernie Ball... Personally, I have an Ernie Ball on my board, and am perfectly happy with it, but the Goodrich pedals seem to have a smoother taper that allows for a little more movement (read: more control) for smoother volume reductions... They're pricey though, and you'll almost certainly have to order one.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Wow, these Goodrich pedals look amazing. Does anyone have any experience using the 1 in and 2 out setup?

Thanks, Rich
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 01:37 PM

I have a Goodrich L-120. It is really cool because it's really low profile and has a great sweep. The only reason I didn't use it in my main footboard is that I needed the jacks to come out the front of the pedal to keep my footboard dimentions.
I use it all the time when playing through a head or combo.
I bought mine mint condition down in Georgia at a pawn shop for $20, but from what I've seen they are close to $250 new.
If I put it side bu side with the EB, there is no sonic difference, just a different feel.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, some places charge that much. I've found the 120 new for about $130 and the 10K new for $175. I think I'll buy several and just sell the ones I decide not to use.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 01:47 PM

Does Goodrich have a Web site with more info? I can't seem to find anything.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

If they do, I wasn't able to find it either. I actually had to email an actual 10K owner to find out if it had the same 1 in 2 out setup that the 120 has as all the vendors seem to just post stuff that sounds like it came out of a brochure. He told me that it did have the same setup. I'd never heard of the company before yesterday. I'm imagining there is very little info readily available.

Tags
ernie ball , expression pedal , expression pedals , volume pedal , volume pedals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode