VOX Satchurator vs Boss DS-1 Keeley mod - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
VOX Satchurator vs Boss DS-1 Keeley mod

Hey everyone,

I thought we should share our opinions on these two pedals, which seem to have alot of competition going on between them. Feel free to speak your mind!

So here's my take on the subject :

I'm a huge Satch fan for 7 years now and have always gone after his signature sound until now that I have my own band, and need to get as much away from his signature sound as possible, without sacrificing the tone I like....

I bought the satchurator thinking it's my idols Pedal so it would help sound close to him (not copy). I tested it on my amp (Peavey XXX) clean channel and liked what I heard. So I bought it considering I liked the sound (at first), plus the TONS of great reviews and "five Stars".

Don't get me wrong...it's a great pedal that cleans up great, has tons of harmonics, built quality blah blah blah....BUT

Two weeks ago I made the decision to trade the VOX with a Keeley moded DS-1...and...well...WOW!!! The DS-1 sounded sooo much better. So much fuller and bigger/rich sounding than the VOX.

After a/b them I found out that what alot of people say is true. "they sound similar"...ofcourse they do! Joe used a DS-1 for Yeaaars and years! But where the DS-1 shines is that :

1) you get rid of the overall VOX tone in it...which is nothing I'd personally like in my rig
2) Less noise (even on the Ultra mode)
3) The ds-1 just sounds bigger and "more"...it's more rich and sounds more "tube" like, especially on the Ultra mode
4) You can definetely get Joes sound on the Keeley DS-1 by dialing TONE 10 o'clock, LEVEL 5 o'clock , GAIN 3-4 o'clock (atleast on my amp)
5) If you're a Joe fan, you can get his sound but you can also sound ALOT different than him, unlike the Satchurator which in the end isn't so versitile. The VOX is kinda versitile on it's Gain stages but the Keeley DS-1 cleans up great!

Don't get me wrong. The Satchurator is a great pedal with great and simple features but in the end the DS-1 always won. One bad thing I found about the DS-1 is that it get's a while to fine tune your sound and that it Clips when combined with very High output pickups and a Wah Wah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 PM

Re: VOX Satchurator vs Boss DS-1 Keeley mod

Thanks for the analysis.

I have an MIJ DS-1, and recently picked up a MIT DS-1 real cheap that I was going to apply the Keeley Mods too. In the back of my mind I still wondered if I'd want a Satchurator as well. But it sounds like I shouldn't need one.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
Thanks for the analysis.

I have an MIJ DS-1, and recently picked up a MIT DS-1 real cheap that I was going to apply the Keeley Mods too. In the back of my mind I still wondered if I'd want a Satchurator as well. But it sounds like I shouldn't need one.
I have never tried a MIJ DS-1. Though people say it has nothing to do with the MIT DS-1. You have both...so what's the difference?

My opinion is, you should try the Satchurator. You might like it. They sound very similar but they have some different qualities. Personally I choose the DS-1 because it sounds better to my ears and it seems to be able to do more. I also forgot to mention that the Keeley DS-1 is Louder than the VOX.

Definitely try the Satchurator if you're into Satch. Just don't think about all the great/five star Reviews on the web. Judge it with your own ears
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantine View Post
You have both...so what's the difference?
Honestly the difference seems very subtle to me. When I did a side-by-side I was left wondering what all the hoopla was about regarding the MIJ.

I guess its bett-ER, but not by a huge margin in my novice opinion (or perhaps untrained ears).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:01 PM

Reviews: 10

I have a Keeley DS-1 too and it has been my main go-to distortion pedal for the last few years. Sometimes it compresses a bit too much in the mix but overall it has become my favorite distortion pedal - and I've tried quite a few.

When Joe was still using a DS-1 he would set the tone around 9 or 10 o'clock but he cranked the gain all the way up on his DS-1 and then had the level set somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2. Here is a link to website where there are some photos of his old pedalboards and you can see the settings on his pedals. cheers ) http://www.foreverjoe.com/gear.htm
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:45 PM

Reviews: 59

I've ABed the Satchurator with a stock MIT DS-1 and found them to be pretty similar. I feel that the Satchurator cleaned up better than the MIT DS-1 (this is probably rectified with the mods or the MIJ version). I also have found that the Satchurator sounds better with the different amps I've used where sometimes the DS-1 did not come across nearly as close in terms of tonal richness.
I sold the DS-1 last year but I've been considering getting a stock DS-1 and modding it with Keeley or Analog man. Thanks for the post.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 PM

thanks for the review.

I have the keeley ds-1 myself and it does clean up nicely.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
I've ABed the Satchurator with a stock MIT DS-1 and found them to be pretty similar. I feel that the Satchurator cleaned up better than the MIT DS-1 (this is probably rectified with the mods or the MIJ version). I also have found that the Satchurator sounds better with the different amps I've used where sometimes the DS-1 did not come across nearly as close in terms of tonal richness.
I sold the DS-1 last year but I've been considering getting a stock DS-1 and modding it with Keeley or Analog man. Thanks for the post.
The Satchurator is honestly a good pedal

It's just that my ears found more to the DS-1 Keeley modded. Comparing it to the MIT will definetely tell you that the VOX is better, since the MIT stock isn't such a great pedal. But yeah...if you don't get too picky about it you could say the sound almost exactly the same The problem is you do get picky after listening to something for a while and then they sound totaly different :P

Modding the Stock MIT shouldn't be difficult if you have some basic electronics skills and know how to make good solderings THere's a lot of info on how to do this if you g**gle it
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I have a Keeley DS-1 too and it has been my main go-to distortion pedal for the last few years. Sometimes it compresses a bit too much in the mix but overall it has become my favorite distortion pedal - and I've tried quite a few.

When Joe was still using a DS-1 he would set the tone around 9 or 10 o'clock but he cranked the gain all the way up on his DS-1 and then had the level set somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2. Here is a link to website where there are some photos of his old pedalboards and you can see the settings on his pedals. cheers ) http://www.foreverjoe.com/gear.htm
Joe mostly used the MIJ stock I'd really love to get my hands on one just to compare it to the Keeley mod. I'm very curious about listening to it's qualities!

I have been able to get some Joe tones with Tone 11 o'clock, Level 4 o'clock, Gain 3 o'clock. Almost exact to his old tone all the way up to Strange Beautiful Music record. I guess Joe set the Tone at 9 o'clock since the stock MIJ-MIT DS-1 gets trebly very easy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 PM

I have a Satchurator and a Keeley DS-1 MIJ and the MIJ units have a little more distortion thanks to the opamp the circuit from 1978 was using the Toshiba TA7136AP opamp. This remained unchanged for about 16 years but in 1994 it was replaced by the Rohm BA728N. In 2000 the opamp was again changed. This time the Mitsubishi M5223AL was used. The last change came 2006 when the New Japan Radio NJM2904L opamp was introduced. So it really depends which model you have they sound in the same ballpark but after a while you notice.
The Keeley MIJ remains on my board. It is the same story with the MIJ CE-2 and MIJ DD-2 and DD-3 with the big chips the newer models are in the nallpark but lack the mojo!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 03:13 AM

I feel how the settings on a pedal are more important that some of the subtle differences between similar pedals. I like the DS-1 but the Satchurator looks more sexy.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 07:27 PM

You can pick the DS-1 up on Craigslist for around $25 usually and do the mod yourself for about $5. If you aren't afraid of a soldering iron, try the keeley mod yourself and see if you like it. If not, you're only out $30.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode