I thought we should share our opinions on these two pedals, which seem to have alot of competition going on between them. Feel free to speak your mind!
So here's my take on the subject
I'm a huge Satch fan for 7 years now and have always gone after his signature sound until now that I have my own band, and need to get as much away from his signature sound as possible, without sacrificing the tone I like....
I bought the satchurator thinking it's my idols Pedal so it would help sound close to him (not copy). I tested it on my amp (Peavey XXX) clean channel and liked what I heard. So I bought it considering I liked the sound (at first), plus the TONS of great reviews and "five Stars".
Don't get me wrong...it's a great pedal that cleans up great, has tons of harmonics, built quality blah blah blah....BUT
Two weeks ago I made the decision to trade the VOX with a Keeley moded DS-1...and...well...WOW!!! The DS-1 sounded sooo much better. So much fuller and bigger/rich sounding than the VOX.
After a/b them I found out that what alot of people say is true. "they sound similar"...ofcourse they do! Joe used a DS-1 for Yeaaars and years! But where the DS-1 shines is that :
1) you get rid of the overall VOX tone in it...which is nothing I'd personally like in my rig
2) Less noise (even on the Ultra mode)
3) The ds-1 just sounds bigger and "more"...it's more rich and sounds more "tube" like, especially on the Ultra mode
4) You can definetely get Joes sound on the Keeley DS-1 by dialing TONE 10 o'clock, LEVEL 5 o'clock , GAIN 3-4 o'clock (atleast on my amp)
5) If you're a Joe fan, you can get his sound but you can also sound ALOT different than him, unlike the Satchurator which in the end isn't so versitile. The VOX is kinda versitile on it's Gain stages but the Keeley DS-1 cleans up great!
Don't get me wrong. The Satchurator is a great pedal with great and simple features but in the end the DS-1 always won. One bad thing I found about the DS-1 is that it get's a while to fine tune your sound and that it Clips when combined with very High output pickups and a Wah Wah.