Vox Tonelab..for serious album recording..? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Vox Tonelab..for serious album recording..?

Hallo to all..
I have a few days until i enter the studio to record my bands first full lenght album..
I am on tight budget considering the guitar gear i own..and i would like to hear your advices to use it in a best possible way to get a decent guitar tone..if possible..
BTW, the studio we are recording at is a very good studio..and they everything needed (mics and stuff), but they have no guitar gear at all..
So, this is the list of my gear..
Ibanez rg7620 (stock)
Randall rx75r (1x12 75w combo..with dist, of course..)
Vox Tonelab + VC4 foot controller
(Boss sd1 super overdrive)

I was using Randall combo for gigs lately..i used its dist..and sd1 for boost on solos..it sounded ok for its purpose..
And a few days ago i purchased Vox Tonelab hearing and reading all good things about it..
But, at the moment, i am a bit confused what to try to use in the studio..

Miced Randall..? (is 1x12 capable of giving decent result..?)

Vox direct to the board..? (is that too cheap solution..)

Miced Vox Tonelab powered through Randall..? (it sounds fine fr room volumes, but not sure what would it be like when cranked..not so sure that it is rough enough to be heard in the mix..)

Guess combinating everything of mentioned would be best..but i don't have
much time to combine so much..
I know that miced tube amp would be the ultimate answer..and i will try to rent it..if i find a proper one..but still, what would you think that would be the best way to use my current gear..?
Btw, my bands sound is..hm difficult to describe..something like art pop rock/prog/heavy rock..
And cleans are not the problem..i will record them direct with Tlab..but dist worries me..for both, rhytm and lead parts..
(I also have chance to borrow Hughes&Kettner metal master..its owner says that he got great result by poweramping it and micing it that way...but we'll see..)
So, help me..!

Anyone used tonelab for some serious recording..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Re: Vox Tonelab..for serious album recording..?

I've got the SE and have done some direct recording. Honestly, I'd run it through an amp and mic it. Maybe running it direct into a unit like the Palmer would sound ok, but it just doesn't have a mic'd sound when running direct. Now, that's not to say that I haven't heard some others turn out some decent sounding stuff running it direct, but it can sound better.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 PM

Reviews: 6

Last studio thing I did was a track for somebody's CD. I have a Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX (the ToneLab in combo form). What I did was mic the speaker AND use the direct line out. The mix was about 60% direct signal and 40% mic'ed signal. I suggest you work on your settings using the combo and make sure thru headphones that it sound good direct as well. It'll only take you a few minutes of studio time positioning the mic for your combo's speaker.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2007, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

I am thinking about combining direct and miced through amp, too..
What is strange, but actually not suprising for most of the guitar
processors i have tried, is that i am geting best sound,at least for now, when using it on LINE settings direct into input of a clean channel of my combo..with speaker sims off..cause, when they are on, the sound is too hi fi clean, not raw enough to be heard in the mix, i guess..maybe i am wrong..(default,it should be used into return of the effect loop..i am getting nice results that way, but..maybe its just amp, but it doesn't sound live enough..so i think that use in that way owuldnt benefit me in studio..caus ei
need a sound that will fit nicely into mix..)
The thing which is not good in this setting is that if i use it(left out into amp (being mices) and right out to studio pa) is that i am not using cab sims..so that direct line to the PA will sound too harsh, probably..
Maybe the answer be to record stuff twice..first time through amp, with speaker cabs of..and second direct with spkr cabs on..Any thoughts and help of you guys is more than needed..!
I repeat..what worries me the most are heavier rhytm parts..but, maybe i should be worried by everything!And, what volume would be enough for a good micing..? my combo is 75w..how much should it be cranked..?
Thank you..

Tags
speaker cab , speaker cabs , super overdrive , tube amp , vox tonelab , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode