Wall Hangers - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
tTz

Wall Hangers

I've searched, but haven't found any conclusive answers either way, so excuse me for posting this if it has already been answered and I've missed it.

I own an '02 RG550 (maple fretboard, it's a beaut) and I need somewhere to put it, because the case is just in the way, sitting in the middle of the floor. I've heard conflicting arguements about wall hangers, the main one being stress on different areas of the neck. A wall hanger would be great for me, as I don't have any floor space, and really convenient, I'm just worried about my pride and joy taking a leap off the wall one day when something decides to break.

It won't even be too high up tbh, but I just want to clarify this. I know guitar shops all use neck hangers too, but guitar shops don't always have the healthiest looking guitars on display (at least around here they don't).

Thanks for any help you can give
tTz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 04:54 PM

Re: Wall Hangers

I don't see it as a problem. I've just put a few hangers up, and I know people who have them hanging all of the time. You just need to get a quality hanger, install it into a stud, and don't have it directly below or above an air vent or register - that's one mistake I have seen, and a friend of mine ended up with a pretty twisty neck on his Jackson. And, perhaps most importantly, it looks really cool to have a sweet Ibanez or two hanging in your house.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 06:33 PM

Guitar hangers are pretty cool. I saved a lot of space using 10 of the hercules wall hangers for my guitars. Having one hanger in a nicely situated spot actually makes the room look nicer. A row of wall hangers with some nice Ibanez's on them is even better!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 07:02 PM

hanging is cool.

make sure you get a quality hanger that won't marr the finish on the neck. i use five stringswing hangers, and am happy with them.

next step is to get some spotlights fitted to aim at the hanging guitars. i did this. it was that or have my jem enclosed in a revolving glass case...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 09:11 PM

+1 on the string swing. I have some by "off the wall" with a black rubber type covering where the neck goes and it leaves a mark.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 11:35 PM

Reviews: 1

I have 2 on string swings and 3 on a hanger I made below.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:29 AM

I made this one myself in a couple of days...

The U-shaped notches to hold the guitars I cut with a coping
saw and lined with felt. The back board has two large (nickel sized) holes drilled in it which fit over two 4 inch bolts which are screwed into wall studs. The top board is supported by four angled buttresses at about a 10 or 15 degree angle so gravity makes the guitars slide towards the wall (so they don't fall out of the hanger. I've had only one fall, and that was because my wireless unit was still a) plugged into the guitar and b) attached to my belt when I walked away. Ouch.) The butresses are held to the back board by dowels inserted and glued into holes that pierce the back board. (This is easier than it sounds... glue the buttresses in place, drill holes in the back board that intersect the buttresses, squirt in some glue, shove in a dowel and saw it off. It's as easy, or easier even, than nailing.) (hmm, on proof reading that all sounds vaguely freudian. Oh well. )

Last edited by Ferrous Lepidoptera; 09-30-2005 at 01:39 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 08:25 AM

I'm using the Wallacher small wood guitar hangers, which are available from AMS. When I first received 'em I was a bit skeptical, since they only mount to the stud with only one screw, but they're actually pretty sturdy.

Originally I was hanging two guitars, but have since moved to a single-guitar display:

Anyway, for the money, I think they're pretty nice.

--B
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:03 PM

Here's a few of mine I just put up, sorry for the crappy quality, I just grabbed these real quickly this morning and I was actually going to post them in the "Show us your S Series and RGs" thread - String Swings on the individuals, and I bought the Ibanez one from a guy on the auction site that we dare not mention:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
tTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins
And, perhaps most importantly, it looks really cool to have a sweet Ibanez or two hanging in your house.
Amen, I love the pictures of peoples' guitars hanging up. Plus, my walls are looking kinda plain anyway.

Any specific makes to look out for/avoid, or are they all much alike?

/ot - love that JEM a few posts up. That a real one (ie genuine Ibanez), or a custom job?

Actually, all the guitars posted are really nice (just had a proper look). I like the Ibanez logo on the wall too. And the hollowbody PRS is beautiful!

:edit:

I want all those guitars now.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:19 PM

Here's an older shot of my wall. I've sold off a LOT of the stuff on there because I just wasn't using it. I went and found some nice oak slatwall and got a bunch of the Kaman Show-all hangers that music stores use. Really nice, heavy-duty high-quality stuff.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 01:58 PM

After doing some research, mostly among people I know who already have theirs haning, I pretty much found the String Swing to be the one I wanted. They run about 12 bucks at Sam Ash or GC.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
tTz

I'm in the UK, I'll have a look for String Swing ones, or the ones mentioned 2 posts up, Kaman Show All. Thanks.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 06:21 PM

Excuse the low light, Flash wasn't working on my camera,
Theres my Universe and my JEM77BFP

Tags
guitar shop , maple fret , maple fretboard , music store , sam ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode