Want to add an intelligent harmonizer to my rig, need some advice. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Want to add an intelligent harmonizer to my rig, need some advice.

Hey, Jemsiter's! I posted this one over on sevenstring.org, but the more lead/shredder oriented crowd over here might be more fit to assist me in my quandary:

One particular element that I've been really, really meaning to add to my sound over the years is an intelligent harmony processor, as I've always been a ginormous fan of the sound from guys like Vai (of course) and especially the stellar, stellar sounds that Rocky George got circa 'The Art Of Rebellion' era. There's just something about a (good) harmony effect that's better than actually double tracking it... gets a kinda spacey, glassy vibe to it. Of course, standard pitch shifters, octavers, synth octave generators, etc. don't cut the proverbial mustard either. Good for their own things, but not the "harmonized sound".

So, I'm pretty sure that my quest for one has begun... though I've not got much experience with them (I understand the principles, just not what's what product wise), so I'm not quite sure what to get. I'll start off with the statement: Do not utter the word Eventide! I know they're good, the studio standard... but seriously, they're kooky expensive... even used ones of considerable age.

I was seriously considering Digitech's new Harmony Man pedal, as the clean pass-though pitch detection, and pedal down / aux throughput for chord detection is pretty slick (plus, I guess they track and sound pretty damn good)... but I'm having a bit of trouble of imagining how the crap it'd incorporate in my rig, since the 'returns' (inputs into the processing section, really) aren't stereo (but the outputs are, WTF? ), only the outputs... which doesn't make sense with the stereo loop on my X3 Pro. Also going against it are only two part harmonies, and the ****ty fact that it only has four memory locations. Weak. I can think of ten intervals that one would use off the top of my head.

So an non E word suggestions? I've heard good things about Digitech/IVL's old Studio 5000 / DHP-55 units, and mixed reviews of Rocktron's Intellipitch, and it should be mentioned that they're both discontinued. Help a brotha out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 02:18 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Want to add an intelligent harmonizer to my rig, need some advice.

To date I don't believe any other company has developed a technology that rivals Eventide.
They have been the recognized leader for 2 decades.
It's like saying you want your "Hello Kitty" Squire to sound and play like a DNA.

Eventide now makes two stomp pedals ($399 street each) - one delay and one chorus that offer their most coveted patches. Guitar player magazine recently reviewed them and gave them both "players pick" awards.

Good luck on your quest, but those who search past the world of "E" are rarely seen again.

~j
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 02:30 AM

Re: Want to add an intelligent harmonizer to my rig, need some advice.

There are "E's" on the bay right now for under $1000, thats a great deal for getting the best of the best, and that's not expensive.

Tags
harmonizer , intelligent hamonizer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode