Want to install lighting system inside my Mesa.. anyone done this before ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
Want to install lighting system inside my Mesa.. anyone done this before ?

Ok, so im getting bored, waiting for the current band im in to get their **** together, so no jams in the next few weeks.

Feel like installing some lights on the inside of my Mesa so it glows etc... Yeah I know its a waste of time, but its something feel like doing. It should be a cheap mod, so its something to much around with.

Preferably would like it to connect to the power, so there is no need for a battery. Obviously a standalone with battery is safer to use.

But if for some chance someone has done this before, can show me the correct way to connect it direct to the amp, that would be great.

any thoughts on this or things I should or should not do or paste a link of a tutorial etc..

Cheers

Julien
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 01:08 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: Want to install lighting system inside my Mesa.. anyone done this before ?

Yeah pretty simple. You can even get color changing LED's, how sick would that be? I put some of these in my kitchen and I love em. Very bright, and doesnt use much energy either.

http://www.elementalled.com/

You can solder the transformer box to the input power jack if you're careful enough.

edit: its really super easy, you have to solder the leads to the transformer, solder the transformer to the power supply, and then staple gun the LED's around the head, or wherever you want them.

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 07-31-2011 at 01:22 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 06:00 PM

Reviews: 2

there's probably enough current for LEDs in the mesa transformer if you tap on its heater supply. Also you can get a separate transformer and hook it on the mains voltage after the power switch. That way it will light up when you turn the amp on. Radio shack has small power transformers suitable for this, 12.6VAC I think. You'd have to mount it somehow, but if you want to avoid drilling the chassis, hot glue should keep it in place, since it's small. You can use the same to mount the LEDs.
Cheers
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
there's probably enough current for LEDs in the mesa transformer if you tap on its heater supply. Also you can get a separate transformer and hook it on the mains voltage after the power switch. That way it will light up when you turn the amp on. Radio shack has small power transformers suitable for this, 12.6VAC I think. You'd have to mount it somehow, but if you want to avoid drilling the chassis, hot glue should keep it in place, since it's small. You can use the same to mount the LEDs.
Cheers
true, but you can always install a spst switch for on/off function.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Radio shack has small power transformers suitable for this, 12.6VAC I think.

I wanted to do the same, put some leds to my amps but I have never been so bored LOL I'm gonna do it in the future so, are you sure you need a 12V "AC" and not a DC trasnformer? And I think you need specific 12 volts leds to do that...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM

every transformer is AC. You need a rectifier to convert it to DC and filter it with a capacitor like this

(ignore the dotted part, you just need 4 diodes)
All parts are available at rat shack

Also, you don't need 12V leds (that doesn't exist BTW), just wire more of them in series. For instance, red LEDs are usually 2V which means you need around 7 of them in series if using 12VAC transformer (12VAC will give around 15VDC after rectification). If you want less you can drop voltage to X * 2V (X is number of LEDs) using a resistor. Value can be calculated with ohm's law.

Last edited by bancika; 08-01-2011 at 05:40 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
every transformer is AC.

They sell DC transformers with the rectifier (diodes bridge and capacitors ,to transform the AC current to DC)

Check this:
http://www.nextag.com/Cr-Laurence-12...81479A76FFD621

Quote:

Also, you don't need 12V leds (that doesn't exist BTW)
That's not true, they sell 12v leds so you don't need to use resistors...
http://www.elementalled.com/high-den...rip-light.html
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Wow I think im just going to build an array with a 12v Battery.. I dont think I have the knowledge to hook it up to my amps power.

Thanks for the help guys..
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Wow I think im just going to build an array with a 12v Battery.. I dont think I have the knowledge to hook it up to my amps power.

Thanks for the help guys..

err, all youd have to do is solder the appropriate xformer to your power supply... a battery array will be much more of a pita...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
err, all youd have to do is solder the appropriate xformer to your power supply... a battery array will be much more of a pita...
Like I would know what the appropriate transformer would be, and what part of the power supply do I wire it to.

Just because you understand what you are doing doesn't mean others do.

Battery plus array is simple. I just bought this self adheasive Blue LED array, with simple 12v -+ that you solder battery to, with a switch that I bought for $2 bucks...

How would I connect these lights to the power supply of the amp ?

I will take a photo of the inside of the rectifier when I get a chance and you can look at it and tell me what connects to where.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_freak_forever View Post
That's not true, they sell 12v leds so you don't need to use resistors...
http://www.elementalled.com/high-den...rip-light.html
That is not a led but a LED strip which is an array of three leds and a dropping resistor that I mentioned in my previous post. It costs almost 20$, but parts involved cost less than a dollar, so go figure.
You should really get acquainted with basic electronics principles before even opening an amp or playing with mains voltage.
Cheers
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Like I would know what the appropriate transformer would be, and what part of the power supply do I wire it to.

Battery plus array is simple. I just bought this self adheasive Blue LED array, with simple 12v -+ that you solder battery to, with a switch that I bought for $2 bucks...

I will take a photo of the inside of the rectifier when I get a chance and you can look at it and tell me what connects to where.

Most amps use 6.3VAC heater supply which will give you 8VDC at most after rectification (you need bridge rectifier and filter cap). If you're using 12VDC LED array that has up to 3 LEDs you can connect it to those ~8VDC but it will not be as bright as it's supposed to be. You could wire a voltage doubler and get ~15-16V and use another dropping resistor to get to 12V
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:

if you went to that link I provided you, you would find answers to a lot of your questions....

I have an amp torn apart already, ill send you a picture of how you would install it.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That is not a led but a LED strip which is an array of three leds and a dropping resistor that I mentioned in my previous post. It costs almost 20$, but parts involved cost less than a dollar, so go figure.
You should really get acquainted with basic electronics principles before even opening an amp or playing with mains voltage.
Cheers

Well thats why im asking advice.... cause I dont want to play with mains voltage..

I can build computers from scratch, so I think with enough reading Im not to worried about opening my amp, which I have done on many occasions to mod it. I just followed pictures and it worked fine.

I modded my PS2 back in the day, just by following picture tutorials. So this shouldn't be any different once I have the details down.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM

There are many approaches, it goes down to how do you want to tackle it. The easiest way would be with a battery. Piece of velcro can hold the battery case inside the amp and you can wire it to LEDs together with a switch. It's the least invasive method but switching it on/off separately from the amp can be a pain and changing batteries is even bigger pain. You can use amps mains connection to hook up your transformer which would eliminate need for batteries and you can hook it after the switch so it switches LEDs on/off automatically when you turn the amp on/off. If you want to avoid having a separate transformer you can hook on the amps heater supply which is 6.3VC but you're risking of:
a) overloading it if you use a lot of LEDs
b) inducing noise in the amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode