Weird smell coming from amp... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Weird smell coming from amp...

Hey, amp question again...
I have a dual recto that I just put new tubes in... Tesla 12AX7 & 6L6's. Ever since its been giving off kind of a weird smell... no smoke... just smell, and its only when the thing has been on for more than like 15 min. I haven't used the amp since, to be on the safe side. The amp is 3 years old, so I don't think a cap job is needed (I know next to nothing about electronics...). What do you think is going on? Major problems? Thanks for all of your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 06:44 PM

You've probably forgotten to connect you cabinet.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 06:46 PM

Them tubes are a roostin' I love the smell of my tube monster . Don't know if it's normal for you, though. My guess is, there's nothing to worry about.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

lol, my cab is connected... haha... I is dumb, but I isnt that dumb

I dunno about 'roostin' but my amp has never done this before... I dont think the smell is a bad thing, I'm just being cautious... (I think you would too after paying 1100$ for one ) Thanks for the help, but has anyone else encountered the same situation? I want to be abolutely sure... Thanks!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 07:37 PM

What is the smell? Is it kinda sour.. like a mix between coppery and fishy almost? If it is, that's capacitors leaking. Turn it off right away and take it to a tech to get it recapped. I tried out an Ampeg amp in a guitar store once that started eminating that godawful smell, but the storeowner knew what it was right away.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

It doesnt smell like a leak of anything hazardous... and the fact that its only apparent when the tubes are hot + the fact that the amps only a few years old discourages most of my beleif that its caps. It sounds/works beautifully... I am begining to think its not a big deal, other than these tubes run a little hotter than my last quad. Think that might be it?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 08:26 PM

last time my amp smelled funny it was a half eaten sandwich I'd forgotten about sitting there, really smelled odd, but it's a solid state amp, so I knew it wasn't tubes

Sorry I can't help, I don't know squat about tubes except I don't like the tone much.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 08:28 PM

That's bull$hit! Jeremy has never left a half eaten sandwich... Half eaten anything for that matter!

Alden
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:44 PM

Reviews: 1
Could just be some residue that is baking off of the tubes as they heat. Remember you have ink, and people have touched them quite a bit, and they picked up all kinds of crap from the factory and shiping cartons.
The process is sometimes referred to as outgassing.
I wouldn't worry.
It's much like what happens to Jeremy after he EATS that long lost warmed over sandwich...

Bamm
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Banned

I really wouldn't worry about it. Tesla tubes run a little hotter than stock.
It is probably just extra heat warming up the resin on the tubes, and the surrounding areas.
Plug it in, turn it on standby for a minute, then turn the standby off. Keep your finger on the standby, and see if she makes unusual noises, like buzz, or pops. If it does, then you'll need to bring it in. If it sounds normal just play for a while and see what happens.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:07 PM

Dust, your probably smelling the litle bit of dust that gets on the tubes and gets burnt. Does it remind you of the smell of when you turn on the heat sometimes at home?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 02:39 PM
rgr

Is there a drummer in the room?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Well, no sandwich... but thats a good thing... haha... its prob just some crap burning off the tubes, thats kinda what I figured, I just wanted to be 100% sure I'll monitor it, to see if it gets worse. Thanks for all ur help guys, and I'll watch out for Jeremy after dinner... haha, thanks,

-Nick[/i]

Tags
dual recto , solid state amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode