Well I got my Marshall TSL back... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 446
Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

And the thing is still bloody ****ed. Great.

Can't change channels, either on the footswitch or by pushing the buttons on the amp.

Sounds great with the new tubes, but all these channels and "features" like VPR seems to be more to go wrong. So it'll have to go back again I guess.

Think I might get get a Vintage Modern 2466 head instead. Infact I might just get another Mesa or even a JSX. I like the tone of the TSL but I want something more reliable.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Cheers.
Gudster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:41 AM
 
jb4674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA - USA
Posts: 4,613
Reviews: 18
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Try the JSX and see if you like it sound wise. Many people have been pleased with the reliability of them. Although I have the combo, I've been seriously thinking of buying a head as well.

Jimmy
jb4674 is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 446
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Today I got to play around with the VM 2246 and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. I instantly liked the tones I could dial into the Mesa, but after a short while messing around with the VM I've fallen in love with the bastard. Yet to try a JSX though.
Gudster is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:22 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge/Memphis/Nashville
Posts: 3,769
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

I like the Vintage Modern, moreso than the JSX.
waylay00 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:27 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 597
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
I like the Vintage Modern, moreso than the JSX.
I figured you would. Have you tried one yet?
Holy Katana is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:30 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge/Memphis/Nashville
Posts: 3,769
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Yeah, I actually used it in the King of the Blues competition, so I got to crank it to a decent level (and made it on past the first round ). Sounded quite good.
waylay00 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 597
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Yeah, I actually used it in the King of the Blues competition, so I got to crank it to a decent level (and made it on past the first round ). Sounded quite good.
Nice. When was the competition?
Holy Katana is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:45 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge/Memphis/Nashville
Posts: 3,769
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Back in March-June (Finals were in June in Chicago I believe)
waylay00 is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:46 PM
 
jb4674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA - USA
Posts: 4,613
Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster View Post
Today I got to play around with the VM 2246 and a Mesa Dual Rectifier. I instantly liked the tones I could dial into the Mesa, but after a short while messing around with the VM I've fallen in love with the bastard. Yet to try a JSX though.
Key word is try. I never said, "oh get a JSX because it's a great amp" It never hurts to try something new.

Jimmy
jb4674 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:49 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 597
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Back in March-June (Finals were in June in Chicago I believe)
Oh. I wouldn't have been able to get ready anyway. You're lucky in that you take lessons. I've tried to get lessons before, but my parents gave up after several teachers never called.
Holy Katana is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 446
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Key word is try. I never said, "oh get a JSX because it's a great amp" It never hurts to try something new.

Jimmy
Definitely. Looking forward to when they get one in actually. Wouldn't mind a go of a 6505 or a Triple XXX as well.

I liked the simplicity of the VM though.
Gudster is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 02:10 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge/Memphis/Nashville
Posts: 3,769
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I never said, "oh get a JSX because it's a great amp" It never hurts to try something new.
Don't think anyone said you did though

But you are right though, you do have to try out amps before you buy. What some people love, others will hate.
waylay00 is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 597
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster View Post
And the thing is still bloody ****ed. Great.

Can't change channels, either on the footswitch or by pushing the buttons on the amp.

Sounds great with the new tubes, but all these channels and "features" like VPR seems to be more to go wrong. So it'll have to go back again I guess.

Think I might get get a Vintage Modern 2466 head instead. Infact I might just get another Mesa or even a JSX. I like the tone of the TSL but I want something more reliable.

Suggestions/thoughts?

Cheers.
Maybe Marshall's new flagship, the JVM? It's pretty cool, in my opinion. I like the idea of having a slew of vintage and modern Marshall tones in one amp. I mean, four channels with three modes each? I play a lot of different stuff, so being able to cover anything from blues to death metal is important to me.
Holy Katana is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Posts: 446
Re: Well I got my Marshall TSL back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
Maybe Marshall's new flagship, the JVM? It's pretty cool, in my opinion. I like the idea of having a slew of vintage and modern Marshall tones in one amp. I mean, four channels with three modes each? I play a lot of different stuff, so being able to cover anything from blues to death metal is important to me.
I'm wanting to either have my TSL fixed properly and if they don't get it right a second time then I want to get something similar and simpler if possible. All those channels and all those settings sounds great but really is a lot of ****ing around when I'm only looking for a decent clean tone and a good amp overdrive tone. I Like Marshall's "Dirty cleans" a lot.


I have a few Stompboxes as well that I like the tone of and I am thinking of shifting the control away from the actual amp and more towards them, and running the amp clean more or less constantly. I have my lead tone down (Boss DS-2 w/ TSL clean is fantastic) and obviously just the clean on its own. For the crunchy tones I've been using a mix of the channels on the TSL and my Boss OD-3. So the lead channel and the crunch channel for most of the time are not used that much, though I've dialed in some awesome sounding settings I like and use them now and then for variation.
Gudster is offline  
Reply

Tags
clean tone , death metal , dual rectifier , mesa dual , mesa dual rectifier

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rolling volume back on 777dy...etc.. unhooked Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 2 02-26-2006 02:39 AM
Marshall amp solution Ant1981 Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 66 02-04-2006 09:40 AM
Marshall 1987x Head - Opinions? the.godfather Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 14 09-25-2005 05:33 PM
Thinking of selling my Marshall, need help.... Scoff X Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 6 07-10-2005 10:56 PM
Back Friendly Pedal Board - L-5 strikes again. bob oakman Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 9 02-26-2001 04:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome