Whammy Pedal Probs… - Adjustment advise - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Whammy Pedal Probs… - Adjustment advise

My Whammy II (re-issue) no longer returns to standard pitch when pushed back… unless I put a lot of weight on it and depress the little rubber stoppers.

I assume, since this is probably a mechanical, linkage problem, that it can be adjusted. Before I rip it apart, does anyone have experience with this problem? Is there anything I should be aware of before I pull it apart?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 03:17 PM

Whammy Pedal Probs…

Bob,

I believe that it's simply a case of resetting the pedal so that the callibration is correct. *I'm not sure how to do it but as I remember you need to hold a button down during 'power up'. *Have a look in your manual, I think it tells you in there.

Good luck

Mikey
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 04:15 PM

Reviews: 3
Whammy Pedal Probs…

My Whammy-reissue has the same problem. *I even ripped that rubber stopper off... no change. *I don't know about the calibration thing, as my manual was lost somewhere around the day I got the pedal. *
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 04:46 PM

Whammy Pedal Probs…

Alrighty...

First the fix:

(long version)

ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pdf_manuals/Whammy.pdf

(short version)

Unplug the power cord from the whammy. *Press and hold the footswitch and plug the cord back in. *A light will begin to flash. *This shows you not only what MIDI channel is currently assigned to the unit, but also that it is in set-up mode.

Rock the treadle fully forward and fully back. *Press the footswitch again and your Whammy is reset.

Unlike a wah, the Whammy works on an optical sensor - there is no actual part that rotates.

Now that that's outta the way, I gotta say THIS IS WHY I LOVE JEMSITE.

Without Bob and his busted pedal, I wouldn't know that the reissued Whammy pedal has a MIDI in jack & CC capabilities.

Now... * Who wants to trade their reissue for my WH-1? *
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 04:46 PM

Whammy Pedal Probs…

The manual can be downloaded from Digitech.com and has instructions to recalibrate.

(Edit.. someone beat me in!)

(Edited by dwswift at 4:47 pm on April 26, 2001)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 05:37 PM
Vendor

Whammy Pedal Probs…

I'll buy you a brand new reissue for yours!!! :biggrin:
Rich is online  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Whammy Pedal Probs…

Quote:
Quote: from Rich on 4:37 pm on April 26, 2001
I'll buy you a brand new reissue for yours!!! :biggrin:
OK. :biggrin:

Oh you meant Ryan.

Thanks all. That is exactly what I needed to know. You Rule!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 11:01 PM

Whammy Pedal Probs…

Does it work the same way as on the XP-100, cause one of my xp-100s does that too..........
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 10:55 AM

Whammy Pedal Probs…

Try a Boss PS-5 with the external pedal.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 12:55 AM

Whammy Pedal Probs…

I've got a digitech ips-33b, and it can do some funky sounds when using a volume pedal to control it... I wish the motion was more linear, but I need to get another pedal to fix that -- I'm using a gutted Dunlop Crybaby wah (it sucked really bad, really it did. this is much better use), but overall it does cool stuff, and tracks better than the re-issue I bought, and then promptly returned. Bought the IPS-33B for I think $5 more.... Now I have real harmony, plus whammy, plus chorus, delay, phasing, etc...

beware though: if looking for one... I wouldn't pay more than $225 - 250...It's got some serious phasing problem to deal with when using the whammy.. however, stratigically recorded, and mixed well, it's not that noticable... I've got clips at my page if anyone's interested.

http://www.drobnak.com

PS. I had the same problem with the reissue -- a day after I bought it! The construction on the new ones are HORRIBLE. That was the other reason I returned it.. Only REALLY GOOD think about it was the detune.. really nice sound.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 10:46 AM

Whammy Pedal Probs…

tonechameleon -
I have an IPS-33b as well...I think this is a real sleeper, it actually uses the IVL Technologies circuit that was used in the WH-1, and not many people are aware of this. *I agree, tracks and sounds much better than the XP-100 I had.

When you mention the linear motion thing, have you tried tweaking all the parameters like bend type/mode, tracking options, etc?

I know what you mean about the "phasing problem"...when the heel of the pedal is down (whammy off), sometimes mine still has a chorusy sounding tone to it. *Sometimes is goes away--it's inconsistent. *I emailed Digitech, the said it must be a pedal tracking issue, which makes sense. *I'm using a EB volume pedal, but wish I could get it tweaked to fix this. *I think I saw where David Gilmore usess this untio for whammy in his rig...seems like there must be a way to get it right.
Greg
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 04:30 PM

Whammy Pedal Probs…

Yeah, I found out about the IVL thing -- I opened it and was shocked... the funny thing is, the circuit board says "Made in Canada" yet the outside of the unit (on the back) say made in Utah, and the serial # says made in Canada also... They can't seem to make up their minds.. hehe

When I said it wasn't linear, its because (I think) there's an audio-taper potentiometer (pot) inside of the Dunlop Crybaby -- so it moves very little in the beginning, and then a lot towards the end.

As for the phasing issue -- I had the detune parameters set to zero, and it sounded worse than when it was with it on... I just have to get around to making a foot controller for bypass for it... Here's what I would do:

Set one switch, normal, click-on click-off sort of thing, and also wire a momentary "short-circuit" switch so that you can enable it for only a few seconds -- ie going from a normal power chord type thing to some funky noise thing... do it really quick, and without the phasing factor. Just havent gotten time to do it.

Overall, good for the money.

-Matt

(Edited by tonechameleon at 4:32 pm on May 11, 2001)

Tags
dunlop crybaby , volume pedal , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode