Whammy version ?'s - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Whammy version ?'s

I had a Digitech XP-100 whammy/wah pedal.
I didn't care for it due to the noise level, if it had a better s/n ratio, I think I would have kept it but it didn't. So, has anyone played the other Whammy versions and if so, are they all as noisy?

Thanx,
Bamm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 01:53 PM

I have played the whammy wah, the whammy II, the reissue of the original, and the original.
By far the best is the original, followed by the reissue, then the whammy II, then the whammy wah. I would suggest the reissue, because the price people are asking for the original whammy pedal is rediculous.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Do the noise levels vary with each model?

Bamm
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 03:34 AM

Well.... not that I have noticed... I haven't had any problems with signal drain, or excess noise with any of them. All I can say is to definetely stay away from the Whammy/Wah, and that dan-electro pitch daddy garbage.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 10:12 AM

I have a whammy, not sure what model it is, but its the fire engine red re-issue of the original one that steve uses, with the added 'dive bomb', and midi.
Sounds as great as can be expected, although I would have prefered the original, as the tone of the whammy is slightly more stable. The tone on the model I own is renown for shaking every so slightly if you play with the whammy depressed.

Anyhow, when I bought it, I just used it to blow smoke out of my ass, but then I learned touching tounges, and figured out how to use it musically. Now I suffer if its not plugged in. I adore the thing.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 10:49 AM

Man, I want a Whammy Reissue. :'(
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2003, 03:34 PM

know what?

I was longing for one just the same as you....my problem was I was totally broke. Then I decided to take the plunge. I basically said F*ck it. And I went and bought one at Long and McQuade and it was one of the best things I've ever done with respect to my rig.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 12:14 AM

I have the original whammy wh-1, and i can honestly say that it rules over all the other versions. The components in the circuitry are better in the wh-1, and are not exactly the same as the reissue. I havent tried the whammy II because the bad reviews kept me from buying it (thanks to Harmony central). But as soon as i plugged the wh-1 and tried it out, i knew that i didnt want any other whammy pedal because it truly delivered the high quality sound and pitch shifting i was looking for. The whammy is smooth and accurate, and the pich shifting is excellent. Mine actually "warms" up my guitar tone just a hair when switched on, but that is a good thing for me.
If you can afford the original, grab it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 08:45 AM

I've had the XP-100 and the Whammy II...I like the latter much better. Has the same IVL technology as the original, from what I undersand.
Greg
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 10:15 AM

the first whammy is the best. I wish i had one. its what all the big boys use, including vai, satch, edge, whoever. The pitch vibrates on the re-issue, but its still great.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 02:47 AM
OME

Reviews: 6
Lemme get somethiing straight here......

My whammy is the WH1 as marked on the pedal,

Is this the re-issued whammy or not?

Cause in older issues of GFPM there is a digitech whammy add, and you see a picture of a whammy with the rotater switch and a black selector switch. The one in the ad is what I have been called the original...or am I wrong
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 05:06 AM

the wh-1 is the original, the reissue has the added MIDI function to it. So if you have the midi, you have the reissue. But if it says wh-1 on the pedal, it is the original.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 03:52 PM
OME

Reviews: 6
Does anyone have the GFPM Jan 1991 with Vernon Reid on the cover?

It's has a green background on the cover too, with transcriptions to
Cliffs of Dover, Stop, Jealous Again.

If so look on page 73 and see the pic of the whammy, it's totally different
from any other whammy out there.
Also look on pages 22, 23 for Vai with a UV and pg. 25 for a young
Dave Navarro, kewl indeed
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 10:12 PM

hey davester!!!

how is the tracking on the reissue...i could handle a little pitch wobble but not a delay between plucking the string and hearing the notes come out...

in other words how responsive is the reissue?

I remember the whammy function on my vgs2120 was really laggy...

i'm seriously thinking of getting one need some help

thanks

track
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 10:46 PM

I have an original and use it for recording. I use an xp100 live cause I need to switch patches with my feet!!! Very important!! Did the II have footswitch patch change?

Tags
digitech whammy , pitch shifting , vernon reid , wah pedal , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode