What can i make drum sequences in? i cant read drum tab so.. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

What can i make drum sequences in? i cant read drum tab so..

Hi there. Im after something that i can create drum licks in. The thing is i cant read drum tab and dont really want to, so any program that requires you to do so probably isnt for me.
Ive tried the odd stuff from loopology and it sucks i can never find what im after so i really need to make my own.
Is there anything i can use?
I came across ns-kit the otherday anyone mind explaning what thats about as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 07:39 PM

Nskit 6 rules!! if you can use it properly... i still cant but am getting there

its the best FREE sampled kit out there by light years.

the way i do it (so that i can edit each beat and choose each hit) is to write them in midi (sibelius, midisoft studio, any midi authoring tool) and use a sound font like nskit 6.

there are probably easier and better ways to do it though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

I downloaded ns-kit and i aint got a clue as to what to do Am i meant to create the actual beats in somthing then play them using that? or am i not getting this.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:40 PM

you have to get a midi sequecer like cubase to write the beats in, i use cubase sx as its got a great midi drum editor where you can lay down each piece of the kit individually eg kick drum, snare..

theres cheaper sequencers than cubase around im sure they all have this facility
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

A freind of mine said you have to be able to read drum tabs in order to use cubase, is that correct? i dont know jack sh*t about the drums or drum tab, i know i just wanna make somthing that goes Bum Bum BuM tish etc
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 02:17 PM

nah, you dont have to know how to read drum tabs but a basic knowledge of the drums is essential, you could always take the simple route you know and buy an drum machine and then record the track to your sequencer either as a drum track using the machine sounds or as a midi file. if you use it as a midi device then you will be able to assign different kits to the midi. in other words you could build custom kits for each song instead of having to use the one basic drum sound

i got battery recently and im i find it quite good to work with to get the drum sounds right, but you will still have to program your beats in midi
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:42 PM

Thanks for that nskit6 recommendation! That has to be one of the best sounding soundfont kits ever...and it should as a 119MB soundfont!

Link for the lazy and interested:

http://www.natural-studio.co.uk/index.htm
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:06 PM

I'm currently using Fruity Loops to create drum tracks, but it won't let me do odd time signatures.

What are some other programs that will let me write odd time sig midi tracks?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 04:00 PM

yeah nskit 5 was hot... nskit 6 kicks any other fonts ass!! and nskit 7 will be unreal!

check out nsjbass too ... the velocities are not so great ... but the quiet tone is fantastic!

any midi editing tool (so you can write score ... ie cubase, cakewalk, sibelius, midisoft, finale) will let your write drum tracks in whatever time sigs you want... well midisoft wont let you do 17/8 but its not toooo big a problem for most people...

Tags
drum tracks , fruity loops

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode