What do i connect a pod to to get the best sound??? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

What do i connect a pod to to get the best sound???

I am about to buy a pod or v-amp and wanted how to get the best sound from it, i currently have a marshall avt50 and i have heard that if you run them through a combo that the sound characteristics of that combo can effect the sound. what is the best thing to connect it to? it is only for bedroom use and i have not got a computer to run it through. What i am thinking about running it through is a home made cab but if i do that do i need a power amp? if so what is best? could i run it through a smallish pa speaker? i have also heard i would get good results if i run it through a keyboard amp as they are very clean and neutral sounding. any help would be greatly appriciated. thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 02:15 PM

If it is just going to be for practice, then I would stick with what you have and run it through the combo. IF you have an effects loop, you can just plug the pod into the amp via the Effects return and you will be bypassing the preamp section of your combo...essentially just using it as a powered speaker. I would avoid spending any more money when what you currently have will serve your purpose effectively.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Yes it has got an fx loop but i was thinking of getting rid of my marshall as whats the point in having a 350 amp if i am using the pod for the tone.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 02:57 PM

Which POD do you have? Version 2.0, or the new one? I dont know if that has anything to do with it, but I was just curious which model you have. If you have the new one, how do you like it compared to the 2.0?? I own the old one myself.....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Running the POD through the FX return of an amp makes the POD a preamp and the combo is now your power amp and speaker.

First thing, no matter what DI type modeler unit you buy, make sure the amp/speaker/mic simulators are turned off. If you are running through an amp and speakers, having that on effects the sound badly. Only when going direct should you use that. Its all in the PODs manual how to do that. It shows you exactly what to do when usung the setup were talking about.

The other thing is, the amp your using it with makes a big difference. The POD is only the preamp so the power-amp and speakers is half your tone now. The better they are the better your sound. My suggestion is if you absolutely have to, sell the marshall. But if its not necassery, just buy your POD and your all set.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies, i probably will keep my amp it's just i was thinking i could build my own cab with a good speaker in it like a celestion vintage 30 but i wasn't sure what to use as a power amp (can you buy them seperately?? if so who sells them).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:59 PM

I usually find that when I connect my POD to my guitar, I get a pretty good sound.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 02:14 AM

I've found that my POD sounds best when it's plugged into a total piece of crap amp. In my Mesa Mark IV it sounds awful. In my Rivera TBR-1SL it sounds horrendous. On my Peavey Rage158 it sounds amazing. Go figure..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 06:27 AM

Its very true that digital or SS preamps sometimes sound best with SS amps.

mingincorn thiers tons of manufacturers that sell power-amps. Mesa, VHT, Marshall, hell most amp companies sell a poweramp. H&K and Peavey are 2 widely use cheaper poweramp makers. They both make a 50/50 type power amp that can be had for a couple hundred instead of the usual thousand+. Power amps are always stereo. They give you 2 sides both with the same power rating. You can get a 2:90 or a 2:100 but thats alot of power. If you are going that route the Peavey 50/50 is probably the best way. Im assuming you cant spend 1k+ on a poweramp right?

Like I was saying a SS power amp may be a good way to go too. Cheaper yet.

Tags
celestion vintage , marshall avt , mesa mark , power amp , power amps , rivera tbr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode