What does a blown speaker sound like? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
RGN

What does a blown speaker sound like?

I am still getting all of my new rigs wrinkles ironed out. I have noticed an annoying BZZZZZZ coming from my Genz-Benz 4X12 (with Celestians)on certain notes. It is mainly when I palm mute stuff in the C# range and it is really noticeable when I crank the clean channel. I think I have norrowed it down to the upper right cab area/speaker but I am not sure. I already pulled the grill off and tightened all of the speakers up and it is still doing it (even with no grill so that isn't the issue).

I have no idea what a bum speaker sounds like. Does this sound like a speaker or cab noise issue? This cab is solid as a rock so I surprised by this BZZZZ'ing noise.

Also, this isn't a buzz coming from the head or anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 07:43 PM

I expect a blown speaker would sound like this.......................................... Ah, the sweet sound of silence lol. No seriously, that little problem has got me stumped too! Sorry I couldnt help
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 11:29 PM

Reviews: 1
A damaged or blown speaker will sound very thin, buzzy, or not at all. It depends on what goes. Sometimes the voice coil will seperate from the cone causing a thin rattly sound. If the coil burns out, you won't hear anything.

The problem you describe could be a couple different things. Damaged cone, something rattling around behind the speaker against the cone, something loose inside the cab or something in the room may be vibrating at those specific freqs.

Make sure there are no loose items such as jacks, hardware, or handles in or on the cab that would cause that.

Bamm
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 11:36 PM

Is that the ported Genz Benz? If it is, doublecheck all the screws/handles/feet etc, then doublecheck the ports themselves (they're just glued in plastic cylinders).

A friend of mine has one of these and has been playing it for a few years. He's started doing the same thing, and in short, it just started to come lose. Some screws had backed out and the ports were lose. He re-glued them and tightened everything up and it's been fine since.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
RGN

thanks for the suggestions. mine is not ported. i pulled the handles off and looked for something inside the cab and there is nothing. the damn thing is built like a tank. no particle board. looks like 3/4" birth plywood, lots of braces, double boarding and glue. I think it must be a speaker. The only other idea i have is to remove the suspicious speaker and put some electric tape between the metal speaker and the cabinet. I am thinking since it is metal on wood there may be an inperfection or something causing the vibration. The cab is new so I doubt I have a blown speaker- i hope not. I traded in 2 marshal cab's and this is all I have now. My cab has removeable rollers. THink I need to remove them? This thing is heavy as hell and setting on carpet so I doubt that is the issue.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGN
The cab is new
Couldn't you just bring it back to where you bought it and let them worry about it?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
RGN

My dealer is no longer a dealer and this one the last one he had. Besides, he basically traded one 4X12 Marshall for this cab straight up (I traded in other gear and paid some $ for a VHT head).

I called Genz-Benz and somehow the rubber gaskets around the speakers were omitted (or removed while this cab was being rewired). Once I put some foam weather stripping around each speaker I had no problems. Genz-Benz was very helpful and said to call back if I had any more issues. Also, this cab was in a studio for a while and maybe the speakers were changed or something.

Tags
genz benz , palm mute

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode