What is favored for PC recording today? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

What is favored for PC recording today?

I'm looking for some suggestions on what PC type of software would be good for recording and converting to mp3 etc. What equipment do I need in addition to the software and how much can I anticipate spending? Thought I'd pick the brains of people doing this every day. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Zen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 12:59 AM

Computer:
2000MHz Cpu with atleast a 333MHz Fsb
512ddr ram or rambus or more (pc2100 or pc3200)
7200rpm 40 gig hard drive or 2 in raid fashion
cdrw at 52x/24x/52x--------------------------------------------------\ just
cd 72x-------------------------------------------------------------------\ one
Dvdrw at 4x/16x/10x/32x (burn dvd/burn cd/burn cdrw/cd read--/ if $
dvd at 16x--------------------------------------------------------------/ 2
firewire 2.0
usb 2.0
operating system: win xp/linux #?/mac 10
network card/modem/both
video card: Geforce4 or Radeon 9000/9200/9800
sound card: Creative Labs Audigy2 Platinum 6.1 (Retail olny) I'm not even going into other companies everybody has their favrorite
This is all within the price range of 1000-3000$ And yes you can buy less but its worth it to save up. This is just a opinion of mine this way if you get anything within the next 2 years you will still be recent. Its like this: by a 555 now or a 7vwh in a few days/months/years? o 2 things this is w/o monitors and moniters (speakers and screen) as these are subject to your taste. Remember a good combination is everything (with regards to cpu,ram yadda yadda)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 06:45 AM

For software, I like Sonic Foundry. I use Acid, Vegas, and Sound Forge as my main programs (you can find them for $150-$200 in some places). Midi is kinda lack luster tho, so I use Cakewalk for any midi intensive work.

To get started, there is a free version of Acid at sonic foundry's site, its kinda limited, but it works pretty well.

For Mp3 conversion, LAME is a fine encoder, and you can get a windows version here

A good soundcard is a must for good results.

I have been pretty happy with M-Audio's stuff, I use the Delta 1010, and have setup systems with other cards and the quality of the A/D is pretty good. Looking at 200-600 depending on the card, and how much I/O you need.

A couple of mic's and a small mixer, or a mic pre, and you will be all set.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 01:40 AM

Thier I think thats all you need. I still think you gotta check it all out (for sound cards and software I mean) O I left out speakers (can't live with out those ) but again speakers (monitors) IMHO are the same as sound cards/software.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 07:18 AM

Yeah try Acid or Vegas, but the last one might be more expensive

Tags
sound forge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode