What frequencies do YOU cut? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
What frequencies do YOU cut?

Hey, guys. I was wondering how you guys cut with EQ: Where do you put notches, Hi-pass and lo-pass filters, and to what bandwidth and why, and for what kind of tracks?

This idea hasn't been discussed before, so i thought it would make for an interesting thread .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:16 PM

Re: What frequencies do YOU cut?

whatever i do, i put a huge amount of gain on the 2.3khz frequencies, for hi-gain distorted tones.
most of the time, it works for me.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

There are no rules and formulas, it all depends on how an instrument or a mix is sounding.
I cut those that are bothering me.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 AM

I try not to let the freq of each instrument over lap each other very much. Lets talk low freq here. For example, you want the kick to go down to 170hz then set the bass guitar to pick up everything below that. Depending on what feel/tone you want you can overlap a little, but by cutting off the low/high freq of each instrument,which puts each instrument in it's own respective "pocket" you can get more distinction from each instrument. Another thing to remember, is, say you have this perfect ryth guitar tone dialed up (you just playing your amp in a room) that tone probably wouldn't work in a recording session because the low end would be where you bass guitar would ride in the freq spectrum. You would need to cut the low end out of the ryth guitar.
6fingers is right, there are no rules BUT there are some theories that make it easier to start.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:00 PM

it all depends on your mix, some tracks require different frequencies.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 3

Check out these links http://www.recordingeq.com/Subscribe/tip/tascam.htm
http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm
Also,what are you using to record? Visit the cakewalk forums and look in the techniques forum,there are some good threads there about using eq.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM

Reviews: 3

Look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNYB...eature=related
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 12:02 PM

I go with whatever sounds good for that specific guitar/amp. But as a generall rule, anything below 100hz, and anything above 10k hz is just mud. I do tend to get rid of it straight away with high and low pass filters.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 PM

simple trick i use and recently found other producers do is set a fine eq notch way up... then move it across the frequencies and see which ones sound bad once you find a bad frequency cut it out i do it to every track and it works perfectly
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 01:27 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
There are no rules and formulas, it all depends on how an instrument or a mix is sounding.
Agreed its all down to your own ears. we are all different, that goes for our ears too.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 06:34 PM

It depends to your ears and the style u´re recording or playing .... just like u do live...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
This a million times. Like 6fingers said, there's no magic cover all formula for EQing. Imho it's more of an art than a science.

Rock on!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM

I don't cut frequencies, I cut bandmembers!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
I don't cut frequencies, I cut bandmembers!
hahahah awesome post!!!

But to the other replies... thanks... I appreciate the wisdom and all that, but I already knew all that.. but let my clear something up. What I wanted to know was, which frequencies do you find that you are consistently cutting... it's just a game, I'm not looking for "recipes" or "secrets"... that's a load of bologna . Let me say for example: I normally cut my guitars a little around `1250:1600 to get rid of the "radio" effect, and often, to a lesser extent, around 3000hz, because sometimes that sounds a little too bite-y and harsh... can't explain it very well. I also Lo-Pass until I hear no "fizz/hiss" and it sounds completely natural and easy on the ears... I know, it sounds obvious. I also Hi-pass or shelve the low end to taste, but always give it enough space for the bass guitar. on leads I like to boost around 800hz as well, it gives it a very Andy Timmons-ish feel.

Now I know that bulb (of periphery) does something much different: He says he likes to boost it around the upper mids (~850-1250hz) to emphasize his "djenty" sound.
I was simply wondering if any of you found were consistently manipulating the same frequencies to get "your sound".

Thanks!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
I appreciate the wisdom and all that, but I already knew all that
By your reply below, obviously you didn't know all that and you still didn't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwd0120 View Post
Now I know that bulb (of periphery) does something much different: He says he likes to boost it around the upper mids (~850-1250hz) to emphasize his "djenty" sound.
I was simply wondering if any of you found were consistently manipulating the same frequencies to get "your sound".
Thanks!
There's no such a thing as equalizing your guitar alone, It'd be really dumb.
LIKE I SAID all instruments depend on themselves, if a snare(keyboard whatever) already have lots of upper(mid) mids (~850-1250hz) and you boost your guitar in that area, mix will sound really annoying, you don't equalize your guitar because you want a special tone, you equalize your guitar to get that tone inside of a mix and most of the time you'll have to change all other instruments equalizations too.
BTW (~850-1250hz) is not upper mids but mid mids(low-mid-high).
You have a tone you like in your amp, you record it and after analyzed the WHOLE mix, you start changing all other instruments to make the whole mix sounds good.
So if every mix is different, there's NO WAY to tell which frequencies to cut or boost as a formula, who says that clearly knows nothing about mixing.
Of course if you're recording an album and all songs have the same instruments with the same equalizations, you could use the same equalization of your guitar for all songs but never the same equalization with another mix with instruments sounding different.
"My sound" depends on all instruments and not only on itself.
If you can't get that, you should by some books about psycho acoustics and how our brains react to sound

Tags
cut , notch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode