What FX to get next?? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Question What FX to get next??

I want to go shopping for some new stomp boxes and am not sure what to go for.

My current setup is

Jem 7DBK - Boss V-Wah - Boss DS1 - Boss CH1 - Boss DD3 - Marshall MG15

I'm thinking about a Phaser, Whammy (or some kind of pitch shifter) or a flanger.

Unforetunately if I buy all 3 I'm likely to end up in a divorce court so which would I get the most use out of ? I like to mainly play Satch, Timmons stuff etc

Thanks for any suggestions

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:43 AM

Re: What FX to get next??

Ill go for the flanger
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:44 AM

i'm thinking you really need a boss cs-3. lucky for you i have one listed in the classifieds!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 08:57 AM

I agree,.. CS-3,. the rest sounds covered, may not be very exciting, but it is one of the basics.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

I don't really understand the enefit of a compressor

OK, I get it gives you more sustain and boostd quiet signals but what kind of stuff would I use it for?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:24 PM

(this is by no means a definitive response)

it compresses your signal. think of it like a funnel. it boosts soft signal and limits loud signal, giving you a more even output. you also have control over the attack of your signal... you can get some great tight choppy tones (think the opening chords of "Answers"). and of course there's the sustain increase which is pretty self explanatory.

there is a natural compression that you get from tube amps. when i bought my cs-3, i was using a solid state fender pro185 and the cs-3 made it sound fantastic.

i note you are using a solid state amp. you'd appreciate the benefits of a good compressor.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Damo, I think I'll try and have a play at my local store
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 AM

don't want to sound like an *******, but markkg5150 why not save up the money and upgrade your amplifier instead?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:13 AM

... Yes, a Mesa Dual Rectifier will give you THE tone!..

back to the real world, the CS-3 is the best option.
(Divorce Courts is not....)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:53 AM

compressor also acts as a sustianer. you can hold those notes out 'till the cows come home with a CS-3.
i would consider a TS-808 for a boost pedal with the DS-1. they work well together.
good choice on the V-Wah - i love mine. the uni-vibe is sooo cool and people are always coming up to me and trying to see what i use to get that sound.
my other fav pedal is the Phase 90 (MXR). i just upgraded to the EVH version (gotta love the stripey paint job!) and it has become another of my "secret weapon of choice" on my pedal board that puts the crowd in a trance and gets the dance floor packed out EVERYTIME.
what are you using for reverb or delay? that seems to be a missing component that would give total control over the "space time continuim" (sp?). just a thought.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69
compressor also acts as a sustianer. you can hold those notes out 'till the cows come home with a CS-3.
i would consider a TS-808 for a boost pedal with the DS-1. they work well together.
good choice on the V-Wah - i love mine. the uni-vibe is sooo cool and people are always coming up to me and trying to see what i use to get that sound.
my other fav pedal is the Phase 90 (MXR). i just upgraded to the EVH version (gotta love the stripey paint job!) and it has become another of my "secret weapon of choice" on my pedal board that puts the crowd in a trance and gets the dance floor packed out EVERYTIME.
what are you using for reverb or delay? that seems to be a missing component that would give total control over the "space time continuim" (sp?). just a thought.
Thanks for the comments. I think I'm going to go for the CS-3.

Is there much much difference between a normal Phase 90 and the EVH one? apart from the cool Frankenstein paint job of course

I'm using a Boss DD3 for delay and the MG15 I've got is the R version with reverb not the digi FX one.

I'd like to save up for a better amp but I'm not that patient. Besides that's what I'm planning to spend by end of year bonus from work on
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 05:39 AM

EVH Phase 90 has the "script" switch that is a low gain version of the phase 90 while the other setting is the same as the basic orange one commonly bought anywhere. the normal version has just a touch of "edge" to it while the "script" version is like the original which was smoother sounding (so i'm told - i've never played thru the original script version myself).
the graphics are pretty cool and the blue LED is almost blinding when you kick it on and hey, blue lights are cool ; )

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I got my CS-3 yesterday and a little play with it.

So far I found out it's really cool for tapping harmonics EVH style !!!

The wife's away next week so I can have 7 days of playing as loud as I like
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150

Nice to hear that!
Just be careful when she arrives... in my case, she LEFT ME after a business trip to Seattle (15 years living together...)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg5150

well done!

i kinda think choosing a compressor over more "obvious" effects is a sign that you take your tone seriously. (...i can say this now without sounding like a salesman)

there's a slight learning curve in setting them up to get the effect you want without undue noise.

enjoy!

Tags
boost pedal , dual rectifier , evh phase , mesa dual , mesa dual rectifier , pedal board , pitch shifter , solid state amp , stomp box , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode