Ibanez JEM Forum banner

What the hell :$

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AirGuitar 
#1 ·
Is a power amp lol.

I ran a search and it returned no results so i thought i'd consult the experts here before i went trawling the web looking.

Basically wondering what they do and do they only work through tube amps?

From what i gather they sit between the pre amp and the speakers and give it an extra boost on the way through?

#2 ·
The power amp is what amplifies the sound of the preamp and sends it to the speakers.

A standard guitar amp head is a power and and preamp.

The preamp shapes the tone and adds the gain and EQ (usually loaded with ECC83 or similar type valves) while the power amp then takes that signal and sends it via a powered cable to the speaker cabinet (typical power valves are EL34's or 6L6).

#5 ·
I looked at the programable triaxis on the Boogie website and it looks amazing, my main constraint at the moment was space and the rackmount stuff looks smaller.

Size wize, how would the triaxis and 2:ninety mounted compare to a regular head. The triaxis takes 1 less space than the recto preamp i think?

#6 ·
Size wize, how would the triaxis and 2:ninety mounted compare to a regular head. The triaxis takes 1 less space than the recto preamp i think?
true, the triaxis + 2:90 setup will take you no more than 4 spaces (if you include the power conditioner) but they're "deeper" than heads... the Triaxis requires you to have a deeper rack case (at least 22").

Reg

#7 ·
A TriAxis rack, which for me is a TriAxis, power conditioner, 2:90 and a speaker simulator is much heavier than a head (the 2:90 is a beast!). They are deeper and taller, but aren't quite as wide as most heads. It's far heavier to move around than my JVM head.

Racks do tend to give you a little more flexibility though, but if something goes wrong, they're usually a lot harder to troubleshoot too :).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.