What the hell :$ - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Eco

What the hell :$

Is a power amp lol.

I ran a search and it returned no results so i thought i'd consult the experts here before i went trawling the web looking.

Basically wondering what they do and do they only work through tube amps?

From what i gather they sit between the pre amp and the speakers and give it an extra boost on the way through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:35 AM

Re: What the hell :$

The power amp is what amplifies the sound of the preamp and sends it to the speakers.

A standard guitar amp head is a power and and preamp.

The preamp shapes the tone and adds the gain and EQ (usually loaded with ECC83 or similar type valves) while the power amp then takes that signal and sends it via a powered cable to the speaker cabinet (typical power valves are EL34's or 6L6).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Eco

Thanks
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 AM

No problem

You can get them seperately too fo course!

I bought a TriAxis preamp a while ago and had a Mesa 2:90 poweramp to go with it. You cant send a preamp to a speaker without a power amp .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Eco

I looked at the programable triaxis on the Boogie website and it looks amazing, my main constraint at the moment was space and the rackmount stuff looks smaller.

Size wize, how would the triaxis and 2:ninety mounted compare to a regular head. The triaxis takes 1 less space than the recto preamp i think?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Reviews: 12

Quote:
Size wize, how would the triaxis and 2:ninety mounted compare to a regular head. The triaxis takes 1 less space than the recto preamp i think?
true, the triaxis + 2:90 setup will take you no more than 4 spaces (if you include the power conditioner) but they're "deeper" than heads... the Triaxis requires you to have a deeper rack case (at least 22").

Reg
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 01:39 PM

A TriAxis rack, which for me is a TriAxis, power conditioner, 2:90 and a speaker simulator is much heavier than a head (the 2:90 is a beast!). They are deeper and taller, but aren't quite as wide as most heads. It's far heavier to move around than my JVM head.

Racks do tend to give you a little more flexibility though, but if something goes wrong, they're usually a lot harder to troubleshoot too .

Tags
amp head , power amp , speaker cab , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode