This is what I'm looking for. Ideas? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

This is what I'm looking for. Ideas?

OK, so the search continues for an FX unit. I'm looking for a(n) FX unit(s) meeting the following criteria:

__1. Easy to use - I've no patience or time for menus
__2. I don't care for patches - tolerable if #3 is met
__3. I want to be able to turn an effect off individually
__4. I'm looking for delay, reverb, and chorus (anything else is gravy)
__5. Not a preamp!

It can be:

__1. Floor multi-FX unit
__2. Rackmount
__3. Individual stomp pedals with a particular pedal board

The FX will be used with my JEM7VSBL (sometimes S540) => Voodoo Labs Preamp => Mesa/Boogie 50/50 => Carvin Legacy 2x12 cabinet.

I'm not terribly concerned about expense. If we start approaching the $1K range, I'll get uncomfortable. (I don't want it to cut into replacing my solid state combo.)

I'm curious about the Boss GT-6. I'm curious to hear from GT-6 users.

I've gone the Digitech 21** route. Done with that. I'm currently using a Boss ME-50 in front of my preamp. I'm not happy with the quality of the FX. For example, the delay gets a nasty distortion when notes are struck when used with distortion. It sounds great clean, however. I'm going to give it another shot between the preamp and power amp. The ME-50 is a great idea, but I think it's supposed to be an entry-level multi-FX unit. The standard seems to be 24-bit processing, which I don't think the ME-50 has.

What do you think? As always, your feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 07:57 AM

Don't buy multi-fx units. I've never met one that didn't suck.

FOr what you're looking for a few quality, TBP stomp boxes should do the trick.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 08:14 AM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange
Don't buy multi-fx units. I've never met one that didn't suck.
Amen brother!

*If* you must have an all in one box... the TC Electronics units let you do kind of a blank patch, where you can just turn effects on/off with the push of a button. I wouldn't recomend it at all, as you'll end up spending a fortune for a bunch of junk you don't need and it will suck your tone away.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 08:58 AM

Go stomp boxes man, no brainer. Although you can do cheaper, I use the line 6 delay modeler and modulation modeler. Tons of choices on delays plus a looping function. Preset wise you get 3 presets and a tap tempo button and it's all true-bypass and stereo if you want it to be. The modulation pedal is great too, you get 4 presets with that. The choruses are really nice but you also get univibe, tremelo, phasers, ring modulator and a bunch of other stuff. Add in a boss digital reverb pedal and you're done for around $600 total brand new.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:58 AM

A friend of mine got a GT-6 and Yamaha DG stomp and was asking me which one he should keep. (He kept the DG stomp and I thought he was dead wrong) He wanted the overprocessed direct sound, and the DG was better at that I guess. He already has a big pedalboard for "pedals to the amp" tone. But that's what I liked about the GT-6. It sounds like pedals to me, not a processor. I think you can hit the front end from the guitar, so you have the overdrive and compressor "pedals" before your preamp. Then loop the preamp so it's placed before the effects. If I didn't have so much gear already I'd love one of those to use with a good tube amp. But you have to like boss sounds. I love the super overdrive, and it gets you that and the DS-1 if you like that. It doesn't do that good of a job with the tube amp modeling. Those sounds are pedal-ish too. I mean they are pretty good sounds, but not like the "total amp model" that you get with some of the other boxes. I like that. I think it's better that way. It's a more pure sound to hit your preamp with. So you might find yourself using a plexi model instead of a super overdrive to goose up the preamp. There's lots of silly effects you may never use, and I wouldn't trust their wah modeling, but it might be a good pedals alternative for you.

I've got the 21xx as my effects brain, and to me, so long as you loop everything so it can be out of the signal path when not in use, I find it's chorus, delay, and reverb to be totally acceptable. So I keep it as my rack brain because I like the Conrol One also. I remember the GT-6 having a good "bypass" sound, so you might not need to loop it to avoid signal degredation. I remember A/B-ing it with plugging directly into the amp and it was hardly different.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 12:10 PM

I have a GT-6 and i love it, mainly for the versatility. I often shift from really dry distorted sounds to clean or semi-distorted sounds with heavy processing and special effects, so going with pedals means tap-dance city for me. The wahs in the GT-6 are a little weak, but i'm sure i could tweak them a bit better with more EQ experimentation. I don't use wah a whole lot, so i haven't bothered too much with it yet.

I'd love to get a Mesa and use the "four-cable method" to hook it all together, so you get the strengths of both.

Guitar --> GT-6 (compression and distortion effects) --> GT-6 FX send --> Amp In (pre-amp sound shaping) --> Amp FX send --> GT-6 FX return
(modulation and dynamic effects) --> GT-6 line out --> Amp FX return (power amp)

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/

You can also flip the GT-6 into "manual" mode and turn effects on and off individually, and programming it is a snap.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:45 PM

I use the TC Electronics G-Major. It's an excellent unit, and imho it eats stompboxes - you couldn't buy pedals that sound this good without going all boutique at a cost several times what the G-Major itself will run you.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:35 AM

If I had some extra dough now and would start from scratch, I'd probably go for a Teese wah, Z.Vex Fuzz Factory, Z.Vex Super Hard-On, an EHX or a Big Briar ring modulator, Line6 delay, EHX Small stone phaser and some kind of an envelope filter... that should let me produce some excess sonic mayhem!!

Tags
pedal board , power amp , reverb pedal , stomp box , super overdrive , tube amp , voodoo lab , voodoo labs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

ideas on how to deal with problem neighbours

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode