What kind of y cable? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 12
What kind of y cable?

Perhaps a stupid q but I'm trying to connect my preamps effects loop, which has a mono send and stereo returns, to a stereo noise suppression unit. Just wondering which specific y cable i would need to connect the preamp's mono output into both of the noise suppression inputs. I looked into TRS cables and even considered a 1/4 male mono to dual 1/4 male mono adapter but i'm not quite sure what would be the best solution.

Reg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 06:35 AM

Theres no reason you should want to do that. Are you running at least 1 stereo effect to constitute a stereo sound? Like in a rack effect or nice pedal? A noise supressor doesnt count as an effect. I didnt even know they were stereo and the only reason why I could think of them being stereo is if you already have your signal running in stereo and you want to hush both stereo signals seperately.

You cant split a mono signal and get a stereo signal. Well you can but thats not the right way to do it and unless your running an effect that seperates the left and right sides and processes them differently I dont know why you want to go stereo.

Ill explain the way its done and why your preamp is set up like it is. Your mono signal leaves the preamp and goes to, say, a rack effect. in the rack effect you have the option of using different stereo effects like delay and chorus which process the left and right sides differently. You get 2 outputs from the unit for each side. Now if you wanted to use a hush/noise unit, this is were it commonly comes in and why it has 2 channels. To independantly hush the left and right sides. Then you take the L and R side to the 2 returns in your loop.

Otherwise just use 1 channel of your hush. Im sure it says mono on both left inputs or both right inputs.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Well, i guess i'll be more specific with the gear being used. I'm trying to connect a Mesa V-twin rackmount's FX loop into a stereo Hush IICX noise suppressor. I've called Mesa regarding the use of a y cable to connect the noise suppressor in stereo and they said that this connection is ideal. Apparantly, I forgot to ask 'em what kind of cable I would need specifically to do this. I've connected the preamp and noise suppressor in mono (with the noise suppressor's outputs connected to both of the FX loop returns) and only the left channel is processed. This rig will eventually be a stereo setup once I get the gear needed to complete my rig but in the meantime, i'm re-diagnosing my connections before I run into problems later down the road...
I've searched around the web to find a cable to meet this solution and I came across with a 1/4" male mono to dual 1/4" male dual mono cable. Not too sure if this is any different than a stereo y cable but I just want to make sure what cable I would need before I end up purchasing the wrong one and returning it.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Well, i found the solution... all I needed was a 1/4" mono female to dual 1/4" mono male y adapter. I guess you can close this topic.

Reg

Tags
noise suppressor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode