Ibanez JEM Forum banner
10K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  j.arledge 
#1 ·
My dad said he's gonna buy me an amp, and i really want a Mesa (or anyother tube). But it'd be for my bedroom so buying a 50w would be useless, what Mesa should i get that i can use for a bedroom and maybe some school talent shows.

Price range is about $800. I play and listen to old school rock, maiden, metallica, satch, vai, RATM, etc..

#27 ·
There's a difference between a mere practice amp and a good tube amp that you use live or studio that also happens to be used in the bedroom sometimes. That said, I am able to use my Dual Rec. at bedroom levels without destroying tone. To achieve this, I use a power attenuator/soak (specifically, the THD hot plate, purple model). It works great in my room when I need to be sensitive about noise levels, but the amp really soars when you can crank it up, no joke. The head/cab setup might bust your budget a bit, esp. given the added need for a hot plate, but still well worth it if you can swing it.

#28 ·
Personally, I wouldn't use a powersoak because I hear it totally eats the tubes because you have them cranked as if you were playing at a high level and drops a lot of that power in heat. A good small/midsize amp should provide what you need without having chew tubes, and the F series from Mesa sounds like that amp. From the reviews, the F-50 and F-30 seem to have amazing tone overall, and surprisingly large volume for their size. Still, sometimes you need more power...its all tradeoffs :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.