What Mesa is good for a bedroom. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

What Mesa is good for a bedroom.

My dad said he's gonna buy me an amp, and i really want a Mesa (or anyother tube). But it'd be for my bedroom so buying a 50w would be useless, what Mesa should i get that i can use for a bedroom and maybe some school talent shows.

Price range is about $800. I play and listen to old school rock, maiden, metallica, satch, vai, RATM, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 06:22 PM

Re: What Mesa is good for a bedroom.

Mesa F-30 would be a great choice. I don't know if you're looking for new or used, but this is a discontinued model. On the bay they range from around $600-$900 depending on year, condition, whether or not they come w/ the cover, footswitch, etc.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 1

Look around on the bay for the Studio, Mark III series, or a 50 cal, they are great amps and you can get them for 800 or less.
Another combo that I would entertain is anything by VHT, such as the Pittbull, I've heard Gary Hoey use one live and it killed, not to mention he kills anyway.
800 is a NICE budget for a bedroom amp.
I say nab a Studio combo, then get some effects with the spare change.

Another thought is go with a 50 watter and you'll have something you can play in the bedroom and use to play out with later on.

Let us know what you score!
Bamm
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I've been really interested in the F-30, but i'm still not 100% convinced, i heard that the lead isn't that good, and there isn't much gain. But the F-30 is on the top 5 of my list. I'll check out the Mark series and a Studio.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:41 PM

To hear the Mesa F-30 in action go here:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...0&pagenumber=1

here

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=15 They sound great!

and

http://www.soundvenue.com/band.asp?i...3&itemid=19387

Last edited by bonehead189; 07-25-2006 at 07:48 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos grijalva
I've been really interested in the F-30, but i'm still not 100% convinced, i heard that the lead isn't that good, and there isn't much gain. But the F-30 is on the top 5 of my list. I'll check out the Mark series and a Studio.

I'm sure a boost or od pedal would solve the problem. As for the gain, check out the harmony central link above. It's got multiple sound samples of clean, low gain, medium gain, high gain, and metal. Sounds pretty damn good to me.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead189
Thanks!

What's the difference between the F-30, 50 and 100? Just the watts and more fetaures? Is there a really big difference?

Last edited by carlos grijalva; 07-25-2006 at 07:56 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 PM

The F30 has got TONS of gain on the lead channel! I don't know who told you that, but I own one, and the lead contour setting has a ridiculous amount of gain - I commented on another thread about this amp - I actually don't really like the sound of the amp that much, but the reason for that is probably because I am used to a very different setup which I use live, and I was kinda hoping I could capture that sound (albeit in miniature) at home with the F30, and it doesn't.

Having said that, plugging in a JEM and dialling up what I consider to be a reasonable amount of gain (and for me that means the gain control on about 2 by the way - at which point the F30 has about as much overdrive as my Marshall JCM800 combo with the gain on ten), you can wail for hours!

And while it is a great, compact amp for using at home, they are LOUD - you can easily gig at almost any small/medium sized venue with an F-30. For $600-800US, you could also probably get a Studio, or a Calibre, or even a Mk4 1x12 combo (dunno, I might be stretching things a bit there, but Boogies are a LOT less expensive secondhand in the US than they are here at the end of the world!).

So, for anyone who read my comments about the F30 in the other thread, they are just my opinions as a user who was perhaps expecting the amp to do something other than what it was designed to do - try one first, and besides, all of the other gear I use is Mesa stuff, and I love it - they don't do much that sucks!

Cheers
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll
The F30 has got TONS of gain on the lead channel! I don't know who told you that, but I own one, and the lead contour setting has a ridiculous amount of gain - I commented on another thread about this amp - I actually don't really like the sound of the amp that much, but the reason for that is probably because I am used to a very different setup which I use live, and I was kinda hoping I could capture that sound (albeit in miniature) at home with the F30, and it doesn't.

Having said that, plugging in a JEM and dialling up what I consider to be a reasonable amount of gain (and for me that means the gain control on about 2 by the way - at which point the F30 has about as much overdrive as my Marshall JCM800 combo with the gain on ten), you can wail for hours!

And while it is a great, compact amp for using at home, they are LOUD - you can easily gig at almost any small/medium sized venue with an F-30. For $600-800US, you could also probably get a Studio, or a Calibre, or even a Mk4 1x12 combo (dunno, I might be stretching things a bit there, but Boogies are a LOT less expensive secondhand in the US than they are here at the end of the world!).

So, for anyone who read my comments about the F30 in the other thread, they are just my opinions as a user who was perhaps expecting the amp to do something other than what it was designed to do - try one first, and besides, all of the other gear I use is Mesa stuff, and I love it - they don't do much that sucks!

Cheers
I think you convinced me, lol. Only problem is that i can't try it, no guitar store in mexico handles Mesa that i know of, we don't even have a guitar centre, but i can bet it's a great amp.

I have a horrible MG15CDR, which is my second amp and i hate it a lot, so i'll probably be mindblown when i get the F-30

One more thing, does anyone know the weight of the amp?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:05 PM

There is a little difference between the F-30, 50 and 100. All I can tell different between them is the watt output. For all the info on the F series amps go here: http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/F.../F-series.html

I'm glad that helped.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank god for jemsite and people like you guys, i'm getting it veeery soon i hope.

If somebody know the weight of this amp i'd like to know please, thanks.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 PM

Somewhere around 70 pounds I think. This is quoted from a review at Harmony Central. "A baggage handler union won't allow checked baggage over 70 pounds, so i had to get someone to come to the airport, pick up my amp, jump on the flight to Italy and Hope that I could find some high-gain amp in Rome within the 4 days before the gig." Hope that helped.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Hmm, i got to check that out, i hope that if i buy my amp then they can bring it here. My dad brought a 90 pound bass amp from NJ and brought it to Mexico without any problems, i hope it's the same thing with a 70 lbs. amp.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 08:45 PM

It shouldn't be a problem to get it down there. Shipping and weight charges would apply depending where your buying from (U.S.) and its weight (around 70lbs), that sort of stuff.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 PM

What mesa is good for a bedroom????

None of them...they aren't designed with the bedroom in mind. buy one for that use and you will be disappointed.

Later

Tags
bass amp , bedroom amp , david mccarroll , gary hoey , mesa boogie , power amp , practice amp , recto cab , scooped mids , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in