What overdrive pedals do you use? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

What overdrive pedals do you use?

Hey guys just got a job working at Guitar Center and wanted some of your guys/gals opinions on what drive pedals you're using in front of your amp. I've gotten out of using pedals as my main distortion since getting my Mesa Nomad (which i LOVE!!!), and just wanted to know what pedals you've had good experience with. I've always loved the opinions I get on Jemsite, and just wanted to pass the knowledge onto other customers.

On a side note, my first paycheck is going towards the MXR Carbon Copy Delay!!! It is amazing in how clear and natural sounding it is.....

Take it easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:32 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: What overdrive pedals do you use?

Satchurator, anything Fulltone, the new hardwire valve distortion, blackstar dual are a few that are solid in my experience.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:50 PM

Reviews: 15

Current overdrives/distortions :

Marshall Guv'nor (Original version) : I have it set fairly tame, gives a nice bit of breakup to a clean channel or as a boost for other pedals

Satchurator : Sounds fantastic with the Guv'nor in front and the More switch OFF. Shame all the usable tones are within a small section of the tone control.

Line 6 Uber Metal : Massive walls of compressed metal tone, regardless of what guitar you plug into it. Not subtle but it does what it says on the tin.

Big Muff Pi : Bought it to see what the fuss was about. To my ears, it mostly sounds like a regular distortion (but with either a dying battery or a knackered speaker cab).

Metal Muff with Top Boost : Depends on your definition of "Metal" - think classic, lower gain sounds rather than Mesa saturation. Very adjustable tones, though, and the Top Boost cuts like a cutty thing.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Yea I had messed with the Satchurator the other day, and really liked it.... thought it was able to get a nice distorted lead tone with great sustain..... the weird thing is that no one else really digs this pedal in the store
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 PM

A Boss SD-2 Dual overdrive: "Lead" mode through a clean channel, or the "crunch" mode if I'm just boosting a signal into an already distorted amp. They don't make it anymore, but you may see a few float by the accessory counter at GC. If you get the chance, check one out.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:38 PM

I like my Ibanez TS10....
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 PM

ds-1.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Reviews: 1

The new Ibanez Tube King is best I've played hands down.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:44 AM

How is that Jemini overdrive/distortion pedal?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:36 PM

keeley modded ts-9 and bb xotic preamp
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 AM

Reviews: 12

The Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent OD and Drive pedals are a steal at $40
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:16 PM

I 2nd on the ds1
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 PM

I have a satchurator it's great, takes a bit of time to dail in just for you though. I used to have a Digitech Bad monkey for a tubescreamer type vibe. I loved it's SRV esque tones with my single coils, I gave it to my dad just for fun because my satchurator does it's job and the Bad Monkey's job and the BM (haha) was just taking room on the pedalboard. But honestly, for the price it was cool. No coloration if you don't want it on your tone and it's cheap. Added great tubey warmth to the clean channel. Not distortion just overdrive. I know it's not boutique but I still loved it.

I used to have a Vox bulldog distortion, it was good for one thing only and all pickups sounded the same on it so I got rid of it (I'm a HSS config guy and I'm heavy on the stratty tones and the BDD just masked all of the single coil tones). But if you wanted a hard rock metal tone (not death metal mind you) it did it, but it just wasn't versatile and it sounded weak for solos.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses guys!!!!

I guess I should also post what I use, which is a CS-3 into a DS-2 and then a NS-2 into my amp. The level(s) is maxed on both the CS-3 and DS-2, and the I have the DS-2 set to the second mode with the distortion at 0. The second mode of the DS-2 gives me a cool sounding midrange spike which almost sounds like a half engaged wah pedal. I play metal, so the CS-3 really articulates the low E string on fast sincopated, gallop -type rhythms (think "Battery"), and also cleans up really fast runs. I find that the CS-3 doesn't really alter the tone in a drastic way, but it does affect the feel.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

You guys that are using the DS-1.....

Are you using it for its distortion, or simply as a level boost, where your main distortion is coming from your amp?

Tags
distortion , drive , overdrive , pedal , tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode