What Pedal now? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

What Pedal now?

My current setup is:

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Boss DS-1 (modded)
Boss Compressor
Boss Chorus
Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Boss Power supply pedal/effect loop

What do I go for now? I don't need a whammy pedal - I've got a Boss GT-3.

Ideally, I'd like proper compression/limiting... my boss compressor kills the tone, so I ususally leave it out, but I need to keep the signal at a constant level. Any ideas on a decent pedal for about $150 / 100???

TIA

Cy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 04:14 PM

How about VooDoo Lab's Sparkle Drive?

You can use it to dial in some nice overdrive crunch for your basic rhythm sound. Add in some clean boost and you now sound as if your playing through 2 amps at the same time. One dirty and the other clean.

Lots of bang for the buck.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 06:44 PM

Electro-Harmonix Frequency Analyzer, it rules. Everybody needs a ring modulator!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 10:06 PM

build a pedal.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 12:09 AM

chuck the Cry Baby and get a Snarling Dogs Whine-O
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 12:26 AM

A volume pedal? More Wah-wah's?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

I like my cry baby *hugs pedal*

I like the sound of a vintage type distortion pedal, and I hadn't even heard of Voodoo Labs! The clean/dirty combination sounds like a winner.

Volume pedal could be useful too...

Any suggestions on a more 'valve' sounding distortion pedal? My DS-1 is a tad on the heavy side
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 09:30 AM

The sparkle drive is a cool sounding pedal.

There is also a distortion unit from MI Audio that sounds incredible. Also looking into Fulltone DP-1 and Fulldrive Units and the Tone Bone pedals (classic and hot british). These are all pretty expensive, except the voodoo lab is pretty reasonable. I have the voodoo lab analog chorus and it is a wonderful pedal, true bypass and it sounds glorious.

Go to www.musictoyz.com and look around the pedal section...they sell everything under the sun, specializing in the hard to find boutique stuff and they have sound files for a lot of them.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for the link Lots of stuff to wade through now!

My boss compressor is more of a sustain pedal, and always has a very digital quality to it. I'll probably chuck it on ebay if I can get a decent limiter type pedal. Any ideas on a decent compressor/limiter?

TIA

Cy
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 11:42 AM

Keeley Compressor. It'll kill your wallet and change your life.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Wow.

Now THAT's what I'm after. If only it wasn't sooo expensive! Sounds amazing on the sound clips. I'm completely changed on the DS1-SE mod too. Sounds quite cool...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 05:52 PM

Youre looking to spend about $150?? The best thing I could recommend there is the Presonus Bluemax compressor. Decent compression, with full manual parameters plus cool presets for anything you need. Set it on top of your amp or something....its 1/3 rack space. Prob the best $150 compressor out there IMO. ive been using it a while.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 10:05 PM

Ya, I've got a Blue Max (and a JoeMeek VC3, and a Presonus ACP88, and a dbx166A, and an RNC1773, and the one in my GForce, and the one in my VF-1 and.... wellll, you get the idea...), and it's great, but the Keeley just KILLS. It does what it does for guitar exceptionally well. It's expensive, but you can send in back if you don't like it .... which I HIGHLY doubt you'll do. If you want something that will make you turn your head around about your tone (or compressors in general if you're you're not stoked about them for guitar .... I wasn't) the Keeley is your ticket.

IMNSHO,
-bill
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 02:09 AM

I'd get phase shifter. I use my Boss PH-3 with almost all clean playing
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Read a few threads on preamps, and I'm wondering if a preamp would have more effect on my tone than compressing the one I have, and playing about with that?

I'm running a Valvestate Marshall at the minute, so I'm possibly not got the greatest amp tone in the world

The Blue Max can handle vocal compression, so I might consider that over the Keeley, but then I've heard the samples of the Keeley and it sounds damn good...

Decisions Decisions...

Tags
amp tone , boss chorus , distortion pedal , dunlop cry baby , jim dunlop , rack space , volume pedal , voodoo lab , voodoo labs , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode