What pickups did Nuno use? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

What pickups did Nuno use?

Does anybody know what pickups Nuno used to use? The sound that I'm thinking of is the sound on the "III Sides" album. Which Seymour Duncan pickup do you think would come the closest to that sound. Ofcourse I know that you can't get a sound from just one pair of pickups. But it's where I'd like to start.

I'm currently using a pair of EMG 81's which I naturally hate! So I'm looking for something that'll get those pinch harmonics to jump out of the guitar and an overall warmer, more open and more percussive tonal feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 01:21 PM

Duncan '59 in the neck, Bill Lawrence L-500 in the bridge.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanx...

But there are two Bill Lawrence L-500 models. One is called Bill Lawrence L-500XLB and the other one is called Bill Lawrence L-500RB. Which one is it?

Also, I'm not that familiar with Bill Lawrence pickups. What characteristics does it have, the Bill Lawrence L-500. If you compare it to say DiMarzio pickups. Which DiMarzio pickup would have the same sound as the Bill Lawrence L-500?!

Thanx again!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:47 PM

BL Pickups

My Sister has a Washburn N4 with the Lawrence L-500 and 59 combo. The Lawrence in stupid dry and VERY high output.

The only SD pickup that comes close is the Dimebucker, but it's output is increased...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 04:56 PM

The L500 is probably closest to the DiMarzio X2N I guess. They're loud, but are also pretty harsh sounding. Definitely close to the top of my "Least Favorite Pickup" list.

I'm not sure which model of the L500 Washburn/Nuno uses-they don't really specify.

On the new Washburn NX6 model, they've actually replaced the L500 with a Dimebucker.

There are actually (4) models of L500 (the "B" on the numbers you listed simply indicates a black pickup). However, it's not really made clear what the differences are:

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/500.htm
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
The L500 is probably closest to the DiMarzio X2N I guess. They're loud, but are also pretty harsh sounding. Definitely close to the top of my "Least Favorite Pickup" list.

I'm not sure which model of the L500 Washburn/Nuno uses-they don't really specify.

On the new Washburn NX6 model, they've actually replaced the L500 with a Dimebucker.

There are actually (4) models of L500 (the "B" on the numbers you listed simply indicates a black pickup). However, it's not really made clear what the differences are:

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/500.htm
Hello again,

Ok, thanx. But what kind of p/u's do you prefer yourself? I'm open for anything that won't sound as bad as my EMG's. I hate that cold and harsh sound.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 05:56 PM

I've found that it really depends on the guitar- what are you planning on putting them into?

If you're a Duncan fan, I've always liked the Duncan '59/JB combo that Hamer uses on a lot of their guitars. I had that combo in a Les Paul, and it was great.

I tend to be more of a DiMarzio fan personally. The combo that I tend to gravitate towards most is a Tone Zone in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. But...again, it really depends on the woods, etc.

As a bridge pickup, I like the DiMarzio FRED in mahogany-bodied guitars, and the Evolution in basswood/alder bodies. The Tone Zone tends to do well in just about anything, and really works well with maple tops.

The Air Norton is a nice neck pickup in most models, but the classic PAF PRO is pretty hard to beat in terms of versatility.

It really all boils down to taste though. If you wanted, you could always call Steve Blucher at DiMarzio- he's a great guy and I'm sure he'd be able to suggest the best pickup set for your application.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
If you wanted, you could always call Steve Blucher at DiMarzio- he's a great guy and I'm sure he'd be able to suggest the best pickup set for your application.

hmmmm, interesting idea.......

perhaps I'll do that too.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

You don't happen to have his home number? Maybe I'll just call him collect, from Sweden!

I know it's not something I should be proud of but I own a Kirk Hamster model ESP with an alder body and two EMG 81's. I'm pretty sick of the sound and I can't get any warmth anywhere. 4 years ago I tried out many Ibanez guitars and a whole lot of Strats, the KH2 seemed to be something in between, action wise. But during the last couple of years I've really been sick of the way the KH2 sounds.

I still like the idea of hot pickups. I want something warm and crunchy in the bridge with a lot of mids and the ability to play both leads and rythm, like Nuno for instance. For the neck pickup I'm thinking smooth and buttery leads! I have no clue on what to get.

I for one dont use anything other than George L cables between my guitar and my amplifier. I don't like effects. I like to keep things simple. So I want a nice open sounding pickup that'll get me the most out of my guitar and the amp... I wan't the sound of the guitar and my amp to be heard.

You could easily put the EMG's on a flag pole and put some strings there and make it sound good (!?). The tonal quality of the guitar doesn't shine through with the EMG's.

I like Nuno's tone very much and my style is pretty similar to his. But since I don't use the AdA and Washburn products, I don't know if a pair of pickups would make things more Nuno!?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 03:52 AM

you wont spend an arm for an MP-1 on ebay, get one!
as for the pickups, if you're perplexed on the L-500, i think a Tone Zone would do the job, but get rid of any effects!

anyway, is there an L-500 model too, with no XL or RB specifications. get that!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

In comparison... what do you think of the L500 compared to EMG 81?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 09:28 AM

i tryed both,
and my opinion is that the L-500 has got a very balanced yet ballsy sound overall, and a very thick and dry tone. it's also very versatile.
the EMG81 is a bit more midrangy and very trebly, with less bass and more presence, but too harsh for my tastes. i dont like it.

well, not easy to get them compared since one of them is passive and one is active, but the L-500 is more organic, juicy and meaty, while the EMG is more crispy, glassy and "artificial".

if you're looking for Nuno's tone, then get rid of the EMG.

my 0.0001 cents.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Nuno!

Tags
air norton , alder bodies , alder body , bridge pickup , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ibanez guitars , les paul , neck pickup , paf pro , pinch harmonics , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode