What speaker cables are you using??? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

What speaker cables are you using???

Hey guys,

I am considering going down the power amp and 4x12 cabinet path and I would like to know what brand/model/whatever you are using to connect your head or power amp to your cab. I am a TOTAL newbie when it comes to connecting these things... the only thing I know is that it has to be SPEAKER CABLE and nothing else that is used. Also, are the ends of the cables just normal 1/4" phone plugs or something different? Do you buy the speaker cables with these already attached or do you solder them yourself. While I am competent with a soldering iron, I don't LIKE soldering... so if you have recommendations on presoldered (if it needs it) speaker cables... please lay it on me.

Thanks,
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 11:11 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
use unshielded cable w/ 1/4" ends to connect a head and cab... glen
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 11:13 PM

LiveWires. Went to NY to buy´em because "speaker cables" don´t exist in Brazil...
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:12 AM

I'm using monster cable,but any good quality cable should do the trick.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:13 AM

Monster, monster, monster......

theyre a bit more expensive.... but how much did you spend on your rig? I got about 3 grand worth of gear in my rack and cabs, why lose all that using $10 cables?

Besides, they have the best warrenty in the biz, and it covers the gear its connected to. As the guy from the company told me, "You can hang your wife with it, we'll replace it."
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
use unshielded cable w/ 1/4" ends to connect a head and cab... glen
I always thought unshielded cables could pickup noise? I had a cheap Radio Shack cable going from my Mashall head to 2 4x12 cabs. I was getting noise. I bought Monster cables (500 series) and haven't had any noise...

I use all monsters. A really good quality guitar cable may run you $30 or more, but it's worth it. Hell, even my 6ft patch cables retailed for $19.95.

Gabe
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:18 AM

Monster Cables.....

BLOW ASS CHUNKS....

They're good quality...not for their price.

I guess if you need 'one' cable or just a couple for the small spots...sure...go ahead and spend the dough. However, if you're planning on buying more than a couple...make your own.

As far as speaker wire is concerned:

www.partsexpress.com

16 Gauge Oxygen Free Cable (30 ft = $10.00)
Jumbo 1/4" Plugs (each $1.15)

You can custom make your length and it'll sound excellent. As far as shielding is concerned, if you're that worried about it OR if you are in an area that is highly receptive to RF noise, then just get some shielded cable...a 3ft. run is still about $1.00.

Monster cable for speakers and patches are okay...guitar cable...blows.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:28 AM

I'm with you, goldboy - roll your own. It's all about gauge, people. Any fancy "monster talk" is marketing.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Ok... so if I am gonna "roll my own" and I snag some 14 AWG 2 conductor speaker wire, what is the proper way to solder the wire to the Switchcraft #280 connector?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

now is a good time to ask... can anyone recommend any SOLDERLESS connectors aside from George L?
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
now is a good time to ask... can anyone recommend any SOLDERLESS connectors aside from George L?
Glen,
Doesn't your question imply solderless wire... of which I thought George L was the only brand? Or do you already have the George L cable and want another make of connector? Sorry if this is a dumb question... it was just my understanding that the George L stuff was constructed with the core of the wire being a conductor with the ground being elsewhere and the connector doing a "pierce" the wire to form the connection sorta thing.

Later,
Jeff
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 12:30 PM
site founder 0% owner

many premium audio connectors are "crimp/compression" style (ie. decent banana connectors - ala george l.) the wire itself is not an issue IMHO, it's getting a firm connection to the connector. it's all twisted and unshielded, just varying grades of soft metal.

I've seen permanent "solderless" crimp connectors for RCA and other plugs, but not 1/4 on that site. I dont see how soldering would benefit sound conduction there myself since the contact mass might be *more* with a compression connector? ...glen
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 02:51 PM

And in any case, it's almost impossible for contact mass to be LESS than that of the 1/4" connector and the jack! These things truly suck, and we should all start using bananas or speakons.

I dunno where to get solderless 1/4". Soldering isn't hard.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:20 PM

Re: Monster Cables.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy
As far as shielding is concerned, if you're that worried about it OR if you are in an area that is highly receptive to RF noise, then just get some shielded cable....
Do NOT use shielded cable for speakers... you could blow an output transformer.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 04:46 PM

re

while we're on the subject, in the parts express catalog, there is a brand called Carol, who makes something called Heavy Duty SJ Power Cable.
says it's good for speaker cable. but i don't see 'unshielded' anywhere. how do i know what i'm looking at, and what's another brand of speaker cable for this use?
these don't have any ends, by the way, i'd put my own on.

colin

Tags
amp head , bbe sonic , bbe sonic maximizer , death metal , input jacks , mesa boogie , monster cable , monster instrument cables , power amp , ricky garcia , sonic maximizer , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode