what's the advantage of having Balanced inputs? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

what's the advantage of having Balanced inputs?

Hey guys, i was wondering about the difference between balanced and unbalanced inputs, and how much could it affect my recordings? lets say i am buying a protools digi 002 rack, will i be able to connect the balanced outs of the POD XT PRO to the digi 002 and would that be to the mic inputs of the unit instead of the line in/instrument one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 05:33 PM

Re: what's the advantage of having Balanced inputs?

Balanced I think means stereo. Not sure. Im a noob.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

no its not. it has a difference in the decibels.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 06:12 PM

Less chance of clipping I think, although I'm also a noob XD
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:06 PM

Um, I think all those explanations are wrong. The link below describes it in the simplest terms I could find, but to put it even simpler, balanced cables provide a means of noise cancellation that can result in a greater signal to noise ratio. In order to take advantage of balanced inputs, you need balanced cables (TRS or XLR cables) and a device with balanced outputs.

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/H...bal-unbal.html

--B
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 07:22 PM

^^^exactly
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 08:25 PM

I was hoping more people would blindly guess before we got a real answer.

Here's mine, a balanced input means the input side of the cable and the output side weigh the same. Whereas Unbalanced cables both side are a different weight, this is too help you be able to make sure you plug the input in the right jack and the output in the right jack.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Or perhaps you can only used balanced ins & outs if the gear you are connecting weighs the same amount... So you would be safe using balanced cables to connect two similarly-sized pieces of rack gear; but if you use balanced cables to connect a microphone (small) to a 24-channel mixing console (big), the excess matter from the mixing console would travel through the balanced cable until equilibrium is reached... the point at which the microphone and the console become the same size. Many a singer has been accidentally popped in the mouth by rapidly-expanding microphones when their sound guy inadvertantly reached for the wrong cable. I've even heard a story about a guitar player plugging his Strat into a Bassman 4x10 with a balanced cable, and the subsequent transfer of amplifier matter back to the guitar caused the guitar to expand in weight so rapidly that it snapped the guitar player's neck. True story.

This unusual phenomenon of physics is prevented by using unbalanced cables, which have a unique atomic filter that only allows electrical waves to travel the length of the cable, ensuring that no mass transfer takes place.

--B

Last edited by bduersch; 07-05-2006 at 09:42 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 09:48 PM

That makes more sense than what I though, good job clarifying.
My second pointless guess was going to be apple pie.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Thx a lot Bduersch for the infromation, does anyone know if the Digi 002 rack has balanced ins?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode