What's a good acoustic/electric for >$400? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

What's a good acoustic/electric for >$400?

I know there was a thread a few weeks ago about Ibanez Acoustics not being wonderful sounding.

Anybody have any input? I'd like to get one that sounds and plays well out of the box.

~Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 07:12 AM

Hi,

I am having an IBZ AEG10 (around 350 Euro) and I find it perfect... for stage (in my rockband). No feedback problems, a very good Pup and Onboard-Preamp (the latter very versatile). In combination with my Boss AD3 just perfect.

Just my 2 cents,

Lenny
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 09:52 AM

my Ibanez accoustic sounded really good, just needed a fret job is all.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:17 PM

Most of Ibanez's acoustics are priced under $700.00 list, which puts the street prices on them at, or in many cases under $400.00. I can't post my selling prices here, but if you're looking for a straight acoustic, you might consider the AW500NT which has a solid spruce top and solid mahogany back/sides. Or, if you're looking for a cutaway acoustic electric, you should look at the AEF30. This comes in 3 different colors, has a flamed maple top, maple back and sides and a Fishman pickup. Check them out on the Ibanez website. Both of these models are really good for the money and both are within you're budget.

Matt
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 08:02 PM

I'd check out a Seagull...great bang for the buck.
Greg
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkelm
I'd check out a Seagull...great bang for the buck.
Greg
Good luck finding one that's acoustic/electric
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 11:46 AM

Hi Kenny
Last November I got an Ibanez Masa SX72 TBC (transparent black cherry)

It is a really nice guitar and is electro/acoustic and also has two pickups that you can blend output mix to your taste.

I recommend it.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/acoust...a_toppage.html

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/acoust...ages/sx72.html

I have heard good things about the Yamaha acoustics though too.

Best wishes

Simon
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 07:50 AM

If you're into more plugged-in than straight acoustic playing, look into the Yamaha APX guitars. They're also a bit smaller than regular jumbos, making them great for stage work.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 11:29 AM

Hey now... this is an Ibanez site!!!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 12:39 PM

I just looked at the post topic again and noticed that you've asked for advice guitars "> $400", which means "greater than $400".

Did you mean "greater than" or "less than"... the advice obviously differs greatly depending on which way that little symbol is facing!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

My price range is $300-400. Sorry about the confusion.

I've checked out a few since I originally posted - I found an Ovation Celebrity that played nice (didn't like that it was green). It had a tuner built in, which is a feature i really like. I also found an Ibanez that played nicer - AW100 - tag was $489, got him down to $439, but I really want to stay in budget here. The ovation was similarly priced.I don't need an acoustic that badly at the moment, so i'm just waiting for the right deal to come along. It's nice to have time

In the meantime, I'm still open to suggestions

~K
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 01:09 PM

If you decide to go this route, I can do an AW100 for alot less than the dealer than you've been speaking with. Also, if you like the built in tuner, you should take a look at some of the Alvarez guitars. They're making extremely high quality stuff for pretty short money.

Matt
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Check your mail Matt
~K
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmusic
If you decide to go this route, I can do an AW100 for alot less than the dealer than you've been speaking with. Also, if you like the built in tuner, you should take a look at some of the Alvarez guitars. They're making extremely high quality stuff for pretty short money.

Matt
Seems we have differing ideas of "A lot". Presuming I wouldn't have to pay tax, you'd save me exactly $10...and If I have a problem with it, I'd have to ship it back to you, thus making it cost me more money.

Thanks anyway.
~K

Tags
flamed maple , ibanez acoustic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode