Whats a good sounding, compact (1U) tube pre (no triaxis) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Whats a good sounding, compact (1U) tube pre (no triaxis)

Can someone give me any suggestions?
I want it to be easy to carry around,
good sounding for all type of music,
I play mainly progessive meta(DT)l and some alterntive/rock(Mr. Big),
my budget is around 500 USD.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:00 AM

Maybe dig around for a used Marshall JMP-1. It's one rack unit. Not sure of the sound but tons of people have commented on great tone. Power amp would play a big role in overall tone as will choice of speaker cabs.

Why not a triaxis...just curious.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:03 AM

If you're not dead-set on tubes, you might want to give the Tech-21 rackmount pre a try... I think you'd be closer to $600 US new, but you might be able to score one within your price limit used.

I've been SERIOUSLY impressed with the quality and variety of tone you can get outa these things... check their site, they've got some great-sounding samples from a Yamaha Pacifica 112 guitar. As a guy who started on one of those, if you can get that kind of tone out of that, imagine what a slightly more refined sounding guitar can do.

-D
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 10:40 AM

ADA MP2 > I love mine
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:41 PM

Gresh, as he's looking less than $500, I'd say price might be a problem.

-D
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:07 PM

Probably right on that one, Drew...hard to go pure tube for that amount, pity.

Not sure on price for the Voodoo Lab preamp, but it sounds pretty good as well. They've got some soundbites with Blues Saraceno playing on the site...not the best judging criteria for sound, he could make just about anything sound like God. And it's not pure tube either, not sure if it's even tube driven at all, but it doesn't sound bad at all.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 01:24 PM

Find a Hughes and Kettner Attax or Tubeman rack pre. They're 1 space each. Also can't you get a V-twin rack for that price? I don't know how good they sound, I have a love/hate (mostly love) with the V-twin pedal. But I have the Attax and its a great box.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 03:34 PM

Reviews: 1
I'd say get a modded ADA MP-1 from Ada Depot I loved my MP-1 and the 3 tube mod sounds like it would be perfect for what you want. the cost is reasonable as well..

I've heard the PS-1 too and I liked it (Tech 21)

So the trick is to find one of those cheap enough to fit into your budget.

Bamm
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Probably right on that one, Drew...hard to go pure tube for that amount, pity.
You can't get a used JMP-1 for under $500?

Quote:
Not sure on price for the Voodoo Lab preamp, but it sounds pretty good as well.
$720 new from MF. Good luck finding one secondhand.

Quote:
And [the Voodoo Lab is] not pure tube either, not sure if it's even tube driven at all.
Huh? It's got four 12AX7s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF website
Features an all vacuum-tube design and three channels -- clean, rhythm, and lead -- for a wide range of voicings and gain structures.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

hey guys
have you tried the engl 520/530 amps?? i've heard they are fairly verstail. there are 2 on sale on the German auction site..try checking it out tell me a little on it!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 08:11 AM

Marshall JMP-1 or Rocktron Piranha are both excellent "tube" preamps (pure tube, not pure tube, whatever - bottom line: they sound EXCELLENT!) The new Tone Navigator Frank Gambale signature preamp from Carvin is getting rave reviews, and the Tech 21 PSA-1 is an impressive unit too, though neither has any tubes (but they're still analog!)... I haven't tried an MP-1 or MP-2 yet, but with so many advocates, I'd like too... There's lots of good stuff out there in your price range, that's for sure!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi D
Marshall JMP-1 or Rocktron Piranha are both excellent "tube" preamps (pure tube, not pure tube, whatever - bottom line: they sound EXCELLENT!) The new Tone Navigator Frank Gambale signature preamp from Carvin is getting rave reviews, and the Tech 21 PSA-1 is an impressive unit too, though neither has any tubes (but they're still analog!)... I haven't tried an MP-1 or MP-2 yet, but with so many advocates, I'd like too... There's lots of good stuff out there in your price range, that's for sure!
Ditto on the Piranha...very amp-sounding, althought I wish it were a bit smoother (lots of flexibility)...probably around $300 used. MP-1 is not bad for very little $$.
Greg
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 05:15 PM

One problem with Pirahna is that it gives you way too much control. The tone space becomes so big that it's difficult to find your "sweet spot" in it. Imagine your regular preamp with adjustable frequency on "Mid" control. That's what Piranha is. This can be a blessing or a curse depending on whether or not you know exactly the tone you're going after and how to get to it.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 6
If you can raise your budget to say $650, I'd nominate a Prophesy (if the Triaxis didn't exist, that's what I'd have). Tough to find used at this priced but, they are on eBay once in a while in this range.

Otherwise, besides what's been mentioned above, believe it or not, you can get decent tones out of a Digitech Twintube GFX-1 (I also have one). They can usually be had for under $200 with the floorboard.

Here's one for $120! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=23790
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 09:12 PM

My mate's had one of those Digitech Twintube GFX-1's since the early 90's.

I don't know if it's the tubes in there, or the fact he's running through a solid state amp, but I can't dial out the "fizz". He can't either. What tubes r u running in there robotechnology?

wil..

Tags
blues saraceno , frank gambale , groove tubes , marshall jmp , power amp , rack pre , rocktron piranha , solid state amp , sounding guitar , speaker cab , speaker cabs , tube preamp , voodoo lab , voodu valve , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode