What's the max you would pay for your gear? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

What's the max you would pay for your gear?

The title doesn't really say what I mean it to but it's close. My guitar teacher and I talk about this every once and awhile. It's how much would you be willing to spend on certain peices of gear. For example, I would probably not pay over $1600 for a production, player guitar. I just think that after that amount of money, it's pretty hard to justify the price. Like I played a Tom Anderson along time ago and I will admit that this particular one was amazing. It was used for $1500 and I would have bought it if I had had the money. But I would not have payed $2000 for it.

Anyways, when it comes to amps I have a different opinion. I think amps do get marginally better with the more money you pay for them. Take a Peavey XXX and compare it to a Mesa Rectifier. The Mesa is way better. Then take a Mesa and put it up against a Bogner or something similar and the Mesa isn't as great. That last one could be opinion but I tend to think it's true.
So what price limits do you guys put on gear you use? Is there a price that's to high or is it irrevelant to you? Let's here some feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 05:28 PM

I'd pay exactly what I have paid for my gear. I've done a ton of research and have bought everything I have very wisely.

I'm happier with my current assortment of toys than I have been with any other combonation over the past 12 years or so. Saying that you wouldn't pay more than $1600 for a production model guitar is far too limiting. The most important factor is what can YOU afford? If you can afford what you want, then there's no reason to settle for less.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 06:32 PM

I'd pay the best price I can...i.e. the least I can.

That doesn't mean I wouldn't pay top dollar for an SLO-100 or a Cornford Hellcat, but I would make sure I got a good deal that was in good condition.
It's difficult to strike a deal...some people are willing to barter and some are not.
I only look at what I think are bargains, but the overriding factor for me is the condition.
I will pay that extra £50 if I am assured it hasn't been raped and pillaged.

SteveJW
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 07:40 PM

I'm willing to go any price as it takes, as long as you don't blow your entire life savings or next months rent.

I say only go as far as you can realistically go
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 03:53 PM

Where's what I pay

guitar: $1 each
amp: $1 each (head and cab included)
Full effects fack and board: $2

Seriously though, how much I pay depends on how much I like a piece of gear.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 04:46 PM

I haggle like mad,some people wont shift,some do,But i won't go beyond a set price I have for what i am after,I phoned around when i got my new amp,i could have saved £15 buying it somewhere else,but when i did by it i got a Free footswitch(£69),a lead(£15),****load of plectra and a spare set of valves...No where else would give anything :-)

I paid alot for my universe stuff,But i wanted it and got a great deal too (thanks again Rob for your patience,and minty neck)

I paid very little for everything else i own,My Jem DPV cost a hell of a lot less than most 2nd hand 550's :-)

My Natural/ceder Jem has cost under £170

My savings on other items i used to pay a little bit extra to get what i want

But i still offer the very least i can,sometimes i get lucky

Rob
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 05:09 PM

I'd say my limit is about $2500 for any single item.

I will break it, but I have to really need it.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 07:10 PM

There is no limit to what I would pay for gear. But it would have to be worth it.
Guitars I find to be the hardest in this situation. They are extremely overpriced firewood, especially Jems.
But as for gear and recording equipment, there is no limit.
I paid over $100K for a SSL 4080 G+ mixing board, but it's worth it's weight in gold.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynn

Picks?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynn

Picks?
Sure, if I needed 10,000 of em!
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 07:59 AM

But you said $2500 for any single item!

I'd pay $1
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 10:36 AM

A pick isn't really considered "gear" or "equipment"...they're considered accesories, just like string winders and polish.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 11:02 AM

I,d have to ask myself....How bad do I REALLY want it,then go from there
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana
But you said $2500 for any single item!

I'd pay $1
I said 'I'd say my limit is about $2500 for any single item.' Less is better.

If I found a magic pick, that gave me the powers of Timmons, Beck, Lane, and Vai, then I would spend $2500 on it.

I havent spent more than 2500 on any single item so far, and thats why I call it my limit. (Most expensive item: Tascam DA-38 when they came out.)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 12:10 AM

there was this guitar i wanted.. it was a neck thru 7 string made of korina with a korina neck. AAAAA quilt or flame top like 3/4 inch thick carved. abalone binding on the neck body, body back, headstock. you could pick any bridge, and pickups, piezo, active electronics, any color painted you could think of. they are COMPLETELY handmade, aside from the hardware pieces. they guy will make any neck scale, neck contour and neck profile. All the inlays can be custom done. they are Abyss guitars when I had my quote with everything i wanted in it.. it was like $6750. i would definitely spend it. I have a RG8527VV J custom. I spent about 1500 for that.. definitely a good buy. it plays great and looks fantastic

Tags
abalone binding , custom guitar , custom ibanez , mesa rectifier , neck scale , neck thru , production model , quilted maple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode