What's up with price increases? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
What's up with price increases?

Seems like every company jacked prices up the last two years. I thought with the economy being bad, guitars sales would drop so raising prices seems strange. A Jem 7VWH up to 2500.00! A Gibson Explorer $1400.00! I own both of these and got good deals on them a couple years ago, neither are worth the price being asked today. Thank goodness for the Bay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:53 PM

Re: What's up with price increases?

MF just increased the Fender JYM from $1600 to $2000. It's normal to see annual increases, but that's a big jump - especially in this economy.

~j
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 07:27 PM

The JEM increase is because the Yen is stronger than the dollar by quite a bit now. So to continue in their proffit margin Ibanez has increased the prices.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:52 PM

Yeah, Fender is up around 30%. My favorite is the Mex strat for $550.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:14 PM

If you want an RG2550 in the UK, it now costs you exactly double what it did two years ago.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudster View Post
If you want an RG2550 in the UK, it now costs you exactly double what it did two years ago.
Man, I thought we had it bad in the US. I don't see how companies expect people to buy more expensive guitars when they have less money to spend.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
The JEM increase is because the Yen is stronger than the dollar by quite a bit now. So to continue in their proffit margin Ibanez has increased the prices.
That's exactly the reason. The dollar sucked a year or two ago, but now it really sucks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
That's exactly the reason. The dollar sucked a year or two ago, but now it really sucks!
It's strange that he yen is still doing well, because the economy here blows too. But yes everyone, the strong yen is behind the price increases world wide.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:54 PM

Reviews: 21

I can see the yen to US dollar problem affecting price, but I see pricing hikes affecting non-MIJ Ibanez's. And Fender and Gibson?!? I don't get the reasoning.
I think the cost of everything BUT musical instruments has come down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode