What's the word on the JSX amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

What's the word on the JSX amp?

....I'm not a Peavey fan (well, other than the 5150), and am by no means an amp expert...but I'm in the market for one.

I'd like a great metal tone, not nu-metal (that's the first I ever heard of the word, and usage), but like an 80's to 90's type chunky tone...I tried the TSL combo, it didn't really fit me although I saw another guy use it live and it sounded great..perhaps opening it up!...he didn't use it for metal either..some Van Halen tones. The DSL was nice, but I really would like a nice clean channel to be more versatile.

I spent hours in there, then the dude in the store was like, got a minute? And we went to try the JSX 100 W head.

I was impressed, the EQ's were very versatile, and I LOVED the clean tone!...the crunch was good, he dialed in the 'Marshall' tone and it did it pretty well...the Ultra seemed like more than enough gain for me!...the noise gate seemed somewhat useful, but I guess a loud amp is gonna hum, no matter what.

The thing is for my needs 100 W is really too much, and I don't to fall in the trap of under running my head. So the combo version seems a good alternative...it also includes a reverb, which is nice...plus is has a step down switch to drop it to half power. Unfortuanately there isn't one in town to test!...but I like the 100W head, but I know there's a big diff in tone with the cab to the 2 X 12 combo. And I figure if I ever do need more volume, I could go through a half stack in the future using the combo outs.

I'd like to get some opinions. I really like the versatility of the amp..I'd rather get a 'jack of all trades' amp at this point, and this seems to fit the bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 11:13 AM

Re: What's the word on the JSX amp?

I've had mine for nearly a year now. My band mates were impressed with the sound when I switched from my previous rig (Carvin X-100B). I don't think I'll ever sell it. It's the most versatile head I've ever owned. Engaging the "Fat" switch on the Ultra channel allows you to go from a hi-gain Marshall tone to a very fat Mesa Rectifier type sound. I was really impressed with the clean channel as well. I use the Crunch channel for most of our songs. I have it dialed in to approximate the tone of my old JCM800. The only 2 things I missed initially were an on-board reverb and the 1/2 power switch. I'm thinking of adding a THD Hot Plate attenuator so I can push the power tubes a bit more.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 05:03 PM

The JSX is an awesome amp. Great cleans, great crunch, awesome smooth high gain distortion.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 05:52 PM

Hmm, the JSX's sound a bit sterile to me.

And before any of you ask if i've actually played through one:
My college (BIMM - Brighton Institute of Modern Music) actually owns the amplifier that Joe Satriani used on the G3 tour (the one with Malmsteen). It's got his settings still penciled onto the amplifier and is exactly how he used it! I'll take a photo of it tomorrow
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

..wow...does he still play through a JSX?...i wonder...at any rate, i wanted to buy the head and half stack, but the 100W is a lil much for now and my bands needs, so I'm going to go combo route...doesn't look as cool (i know, not important, but I love that chrome!)...but it has a few things the head lacks, like the half power switch and a reverb...I figure if I want the 4 X 12 cab sound in the future I'll just run the combo into a cabinet...at full power, it should sound just like the original head.

Any more comments would be appreciated!

Tags
clean tone , joe satriani , mesa rectifier , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to pronounce the word Vai

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode