whats your favorite mic pre for guitar - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

whats your favorite mic pre for guitar

I am using a Vintech 273... I like it a lot..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:29 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: whats your favorite mic pre for guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBalducci View Post
I am using a Vintech 273... I like it a lot..
OK, to give an education to an old guy....... what's the purpose/need for a mic-pre in recording guitar. I'm SERIOUSLY trying to figure out computer recording, but failing at every turn. I have better luck with my ancient Tascam......LOL.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Ok so here it is. A mic pre is one of the most important pieces of studio gear to get. I mic my amps then the mics go into the mic pre and then into my digi 003 modded by Black Line Audio. And then into protools. Is effects the sound of your guitars in a killer way.

Vintechs are great and are expensive but they are modeled after the Neve which is like Satches favorite and a lot of other guitar players.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 02:22 PM

I'm just using the stock preamps in my M-Audio Profire 2626 for the time being, but my next interface is probably going to be I-O only, and I'll start investing in outboard preamps. If nothing else, it's a little more future-proof; every time you change your digital connectivity etc, you don't have to also invest in a whole new set of mic preamps that may or may not sound and respond differently than what you've been using for the past few years.

Then again, devil's advocate.... Decent consumer gear is good enough these days that if you can't make a good recording using the stock preamps in even a budget interface, you have bigger problems.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:10 PM

Reviews: 2

Is the mic-preamp something that's useable if your running DI, or is it only for when your micing your cab?

I'm currently using an HD500 direct to interface. Obviously the tones direct sound nothing like, and no where near as good as, the same patches through my cab. Will the pre work in line running direct or do I have to go out and buy a new SM57?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 11:19 PM

A preamp just takes a signal, and increases its volume. It doesn't care what the signal is.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:55 AM

The mic preamp takes the incoming signal and boosts it to line level which is needed once it hits the mixing console. It is very critical. Not every preamp is the same. Some are much cleaner than others and have more headroom. I am using the UAD Apollo interface and those preamps are very high quality. I came from the Digi 003 which is a very good unit but the Apollo is much better. How you prepare the signal is very important.

Tags
ibanez , rob balducci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode