When switching the tube.. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

When switching the tube..

Hi!
I've just bought myself some new tubes to my amp (a Marshall tsl 601), and I just wondered if the bias has to be adjusted since its another pair of tubes? I'm switching from EL34 tubes, to 6L6... anyone who knows anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 PM
rgr

Re: When switching the tube..

Many amps will accept either type of tube and have a switch on the back, I don't think Marshall is one of those though, since EL34s are a huge part of the "Marshall Sound". The basic answer is yes, at minimum it will need to be rebiased. If you really want to run 6L6s in it, and provisions for running 6L6s haven't been made in the amp, it will require some component changes and possibly some minor rewiring of the tube sockets. It will probably also devalue the amp if provision is not made to switch back to EL34s easily, because most people looking for a Marshall want to use EL-34s.

Roger
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

ok... thank you for the reply!!
I've just tried to see if everything went well, and it did, and I'm much happier with my sound now! I'm not really that excited about the marshall sound, but I could'nt afford a new amp at the time so I thought I could just try and see, and if the result sucked, I would switch back to the EL34.

But right now I'm really happy!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:48 PM
rgr

You just stuck the 6L6s in and went for it? Does the TSL 60 have a switch for 6L6s? They are probably over-biased (I think, don't remember the specs off the top of my head) and one of the tube types has an extra ground pin that the other one doesn't, again, I don't remember off the top of my head, but if it's not wired correctly, it may be a short lived happiness.

Again, if it has the switch for 6L6s, it should be fine, otherwise check with a tech.

*edit* I just looked up the manual at marshallamps.com, it doesn't say anything about the TSL60 being 6L6 compatible, so, you're on your own. The 2 tubes aren't direct replacements for each other.

Roger
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

I haven't seen any switch for the 6L6 tubes on the amp. And I don't want to be fiddling in my amp on my own so I'll just wait for the tech to check things out. Until then I will leave the amp alone just in case.
And I didn't see any kind of info about the bias on marshall's website, it just stood when you change the preamp tubes, you don't have to adjust te bias.
Thank you for your replies!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 10:57 AM
rgr

EL34s and 6L6s are power tubes, not preamp tubes. No need to rebias for preamp tubes (12AX7s, the little ones).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

I know that much was just saying the only thing it said about the bias on the marshall site
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Gex

Lol, the thing was probabably baised so cold on EL34's that its biased warm for the 6l6s.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
Many amps will accept either type of tube and have a switch on the back, I don't think Marshall is one of those though, since EL34s are a huge part of the "Marshall Sound". The basic answer is yes, at minimum it will need to be rebiased. If you really want to run 6L6s in it, and provisions for running 6L6s haven't been made in the amp, it will require some component changes and possibly some minor rewiring of the tube sockets. It will probably also devalue the amp if provision is not made to switch back to EL34s easily, because most people looking for a Marshall want to use EL-34s.

Roger
You still have to bias the amp to change tubes with the same type, so those switches are misleading anyway (unless you use Groove Tubes or test your tubes before you put them in and buy a quad or set that test identical).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:35 PM
rgr

Yes, but then you are biasing for tone. Even if the tubes test identical, you probably need to bias because that last set wasn't identical. Biasing hot means biasing toward Class A (but it's still AB) and usually sounds killer but eats tubes, biasing to cold allows too much crossover distortion where the sine wave doesn't line up.

Sorry, I was more concerned with the original caller plugging the wrong kind of tube in.

Roger
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

ok.. Im a bit confused here... The amp seems so far to be doing good, it's got better sound than ever before. I have no idea how to rebias the thing, and the only tech around here (yes I live in the middle of nowhere in Norway), had never done that before on a amp, so I'm not so very keen on having him experimenting on my amp... So should just put in the old tubes again?

Thanks for helping
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Gex

until you find I tech, I would put the old ones back in.

You dont want to burn them up prematurely.

Tags
groove tubes , marshall tsl , preamp tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode