Where to get a low-wattage poweramp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Where to get a low-wattage poweramp?

Hey guys,

Just ordered a Ultra+ modded ADA MP-1, gonna be great! Anyway.. For the moment I only own a cheapo marshall combo, and I'm going to use it's poweramp section until something better comes up.

Uh.. I don't have the slightest clue what poweramp to use for this purpoise, but as I'll mostly play it at home, and still want to get the cranked-up tube-sound from the poweramp section, I thought that maybe it's best if I try to find a low-wattage one. I haven't really seen anything lower than 50 Watt stereo, which still is way too high to be called, well, low.

Well, sure I have seen poweramp sections of combos lower than that, like the Cornford Carrera with it's.. What, 8 watts? But is there a separate rack-poweramp that's low wattage? I'd love to get some answers for this.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:01 PM

Re: Where to get a low-wattage poweramp?

Mesa makes a 20 watt one, Im sure it's expensive, but that's the only one I've heard of.
Maybe you can use just the power amp section of an Orange Tiny Terror, I think it's switchable between 7 and 15 watts

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_In...20_stereo.html

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Reviews: 120

Unfortunately the Tiny Terror doesn't have an effects loop. Only thing that would hold me back from getting one.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Somebody makes an all - tube power amp for an iPod - about 5 watts a side - not cheap, but cheaper than a Mesa 20/20.

Mind you anyone who uses a 20/20 swears by them! They are by all accounts mind - bogglingly loud!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Unfortunately the Tiny Terror doesn't have an effects loop. Only thing that would hold me back from getting one.
Shouldn't be hard to get one added by a decent amp tech - I'd be kind of surprised if there isn't already a TinyTerrorTweaking forum on the net by now.....
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post

I still want one, My AD30HTC doesnt have one either, but I wouldn't trade that amp for anything.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Shouldn't be hard to get one added by a decent amp tech - I'd be kind of surprised if there isn't already a TinyTerrorTweaking forum on the net by now.....
I thought about that, how much do you think that would cost to get done? If it's a couple hundred I'd definitely be interested.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Mind you anyone who uses a 20/20 swears by them! They are by all accounts mind - bogglingly loud!
Ah.. So that means my theory of getting low-wattage poweramp only to be able to crank it up and still have it at respectable volumes is faulty?

What I thought was that I would possibly be able to get the cranked-tube-sound at lower volumes, is this like totally wrong? :P

I thought I'd figured this out after all these years..
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Ah.. So that means my theory of getting low-wattage poweramp only to be able to crank it up and still have it at respectable volumes is faulty?

What I thought was that I would possibly be able to get the cranked-tube-sound at lower volumes, is this like totally wrong? :P

I thought I'd figured this out after all these years..
20 watts is still loud as hell when cranked. If you want to crank it at bedroom levels, you're going to be looking in the range of 1 to 5 watts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Ah, true.. Anyone? 1 watt poweramp? Home made? I'm willing to try out your home-built poweramp made of beer cans, dutch tape and steel wool, as long as it's tube-driven

Though, I just got my eyes on a ADA microcab, or even better, I'll try to mod it to a monstercab..

Anyway, feel free to chime in if you've heard of some, I dunno, brazilian made 5 watt poweramp somewhere.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Ah, true.. Anyone? 1 watt poweramp? Home made? I'm willing to try out your home-built poweramp made of beer cans, dutch tape and steel wool, as long as it's tube-driven

Though, I just got my eyes on a ADA microcab, or even better, I'll try to mod it to a monstercab..

Anyway, feel free to chime in if you've heard of some, I dunno, brazilian made 5 watt poweramp somewhere.
I know the Orange Tiny Terror can be cut down to 7 watts, and the Mesa Lone Star Special can be cut down to 5. You might try the poweramp from one of those. The Tiny Terror can be found for less than $500
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check it out..
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Maybe also check out the Peavey Windsor Studio combo amp. 15-20W adjustable. Has an effects loop and it's designed to handle a multitude of different tubes.

http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...)%20Studio.cfm

It's supposed to be modelled after a modded JCM800 which is what really interests me. As soon as I can have the funds together I'm testing it out and getting one probably.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 08:35 PM

My Valve Jr is 5 watts into a 1X10 cab and its still over bedroom loud when cranked
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Yep. Crank that badboy in your bedroom, and your amp will be alone in the room.

Quote:
Somebody makes an all - tube power amp for an iPod - about 5 watts a side - not cheap, but cheaper than a Mesa 20/20.
Enjoy: http://zvexamps.com/

If anyone calls/e-mails for prices on either Zvex amps post 'em here will ya?

Tags
combo amp , david mccarroll , power amp , steel wool , tube power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode