Where to now ? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 25
Where to now ?

Ok so im fed up with my Boss GT10... To much fiddling, to get what i want, and most of the time im playing its just the clean and dirty of my mesa, with the boss, contributing the noise gate and delay and tuner.. not really worth all the hassle for those 3 things..

I dont want another all in one, and im thinking going back to a few pedals and thats it... other then those 2 options what else is there for me..

Cheers !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:07 AM

Reviews: 59
Re: Where to now ?

If you're doing the jump from ME to single pedals like I did - take the time to analyze what you need and secondly what is nice to have. Starting off with the tuner I can highly recommend TC Electronics Polytune. I've reviewed this on this site if you care to read more.
Delay is also a pedal you mentioned and is one of my most used pedals. I use the Time machine from Vox and it's great to my use. MXR's Carbon Copy is also getting alot of praise. Other pedals that is nice to have is a booster, wah, noise gate (esp. if you suddenly find yourself with 5+ different stompboxes) phaser and/or flanger, chorus (great for when you play clean or want to thicken up your distortion a la Zakk Wylde). Last but not least - proper pedal power supply shouldn't be overlooked. Voodoo Lab has gotten great reviews here on Jemsite.
Most important is to analyze what you want and need and to take it from there. One mans gold is another mans junk so if you have the chance, try as many things as you can and focus on what *you* like.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Mate as you said you need only a few stuff, I'd go this way =

In front of the amp = wah + volume + compressor.

Loop = 2 graphic eqs(one for clean and other for dirty), noise gate, chorus/flanger and delay.

Unless you want a special/unique pedal, you should keep up with boss.
Instead of two eqs you could buy this one =

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/EQ-20/

No crap distortion pedals to mess with your mesa tone, I used a lot of them with mesas but never liked how they sounded, they added a "tone" I don't like, I prefer mesa pure tone.
That's how I'd do it.

When I had a dc5, I used to put a chorus and delay in the loop and volume + wah + compressor in front, nothing more and I was in heaven but it was 12 years old and as we don't have mesa sellers here, if it stopped working I'd be in hell trying to find someone to fix it so it had to go
If you like mesa tone the same way I do, try to keep it pure.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.. TC electronics tuner is what im after for sure.. I really liked it.. I have a an Ibanez turbo Tubescreamer already for booster, Ibanez WH10 wah from the 80's and thats it. So i will need a delay, noise gate, and some modulation pedal, and power pedal...

I was looking at the eventide stuff for delays... looks nice but expensive..

Either way im over the boss.... so its fun times ahead buying pedals again....
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

That boss EQ looks mental... im sure its expensive.. :P
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 02:45 AM

For the noise gate, I've really been wanting an ISP Decimator G String. It has 2 sets of ins/outs. You can have it monitor your guitar directly and use the other in/out to silence your fx loop. This lets you have one setting that'll gate heavy distortion or clean without needing to be adjusted. Also, since it's gating the fx loop, your amp will be dead silent with no hum or nothing when you stop playing.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

cheers I will look into that...
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
So i will need a delay

Check it out the "wampler analog echo" (like 200 bucks new) and the "wampler faux tape echo"... both awesome delays 100% alive with professional sound and not too expensive price.

Quote:
, noise gate

I think they have not invented a really good noise gate pedal, but thinking in the less bad, the ISP decimator G-string, keep searching no mather you switch to clean or drive.

Quote:
. so its fun times ahead buying pedals again....

Pedals are the best way to sound and play, simple, fast settings and the best sound.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_freak_forever View Post
Pedals are the best way to sound and play, simple, fast settings and the best sound.
Completely disagree.

First because everybody have their own tastes and needs so what's best to one is crap to the other.

Second because where are they fast settings?
Maybe in your bedroom?
Cause at the stage pedals are a nightmare, setting delays and other modulations settings in every song in a dark stage is hell.

Third because only one pedal is simple but usually people have more than 5 so they're not simple, racks are simple, you save a patch and you need only one midi button to recall it with all effects programmed the way you need.

And if you play on a band(s) that needs a lot of different effects and settings, pedals won't work unless you hate yourself(love crazy tap dancing) and your bank account.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:24 AM

I have the Boss GE-7, it's pretty good and you can buy it used for relatively cheap.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:17 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Completely disagree.

My experience says I'm right. Sorry

Quote:
First because everybody have their own tastes and needs so what's best to one is crap to the other.

That's why you get the pedals you like and sell the others..

Quote:
Second because where are they fast settings?
Maybe in your bedroom?

On stage

Quote:
Cause at the stage pedals are a nightmare, setting delays and other modulations settings in every song in a dark stage is hell.

If you own the pedal, you know how to set it to sound right, if you got a delay, you know how to set it, you don't need to be a sound engineer to know it and if you don't, and your ears can't work at all... geez...

Quote:
Third because only one pedal is simple but usually people have more than 5 so they're not simple,

You only need to know how to put them on the pedal board an if you know them, you should know how to set them fast and simple. Besides, you should be using only the pedals you "really" use.

Quote:
racks are simple, you save a patch and you need only one midi button to recall it with all effects programmed the way you need.

fast settings? where?
Maybe in your bedroom?

(check that I copied&paste your "awesome commet", because if you put the patch just like that on stage, you are gonna have to change settings on every patch you have to sound right... cool huh? That's your "fast settings" and guess what, you still are not gonna sound great, because your processor will never have the best of everything... but you can have that with pedals).
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Banned

Still completely disagree and you misunderstood my points.
I play with 4 different cover bands with lots of songs in different beats and different tones and effects. IMPOSSIBLE to set about 20 pedals in every song OR in different parts of a song where it's needed, IMPOSSIBLE unless I was an octopus.
Plus I want to keep my mind in playing and having fun and not setting pedals on every song or part of a song, that's madness.
I push one midi button and my rack gives me all I need while I'm playing and not..........."tweaking".
In my case the only thing I'd have with pedals is a headache.
But like I said if somebody needs only a few pedals like Freak, that's ok.
And that's why I disagree to you, we all have our own needs and tastes so saying something "is the best way" or "the best sound" is wrong.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Anyone tried the tc electronics nova delay ??
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I have to agree with Treva on this. I love the warm analog sounds of pedals, especially distortion and overdrive and it's great for recording and practice. But the simplicity of preprogramming a rack unit and using that "one button" to change all effects patches on the fly live is second to none. My compromise is that I use a few different distortion pedals through my homemade effects order switch box and use a rack unit for all modulation effects. It's the best of both worlds for me.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Reviews: 4

Hey, sorry to go off of your criteria, but before you give up multi effects, I would seriously consider the HD500, or - if you have the $$ - A used AxeFX. I gotta agree with Treva and Rob on this one.

Rob, Congrats on post #5,150!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode