Who has the best tone you have heard? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:32 PM

Re: Who has the best tone you have heard?

Slash
EVH
Angus Young
Steve Clark
Jimmy Page
Brian May
Santana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom View Post
A great player but I don't think his tone is that great, sorry I just have to say it Dee
It depends what you've heard really.

The tone he has with his band The Fellowship is often very different to his own lead tone.

If you've heard his solo album (if you haven't then :O!!) or his guitar work on the project GPS then I'll be suprised if you still don't like it.

His Suhr into one of his Cornfords it's the best tone I've ever heard. Although I'm positive 80% of it is down to his fingers.
post #63 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andelusion View Post
Although I'm positive 80% of it is down to his fingers.
Too true...
post #64 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 AM

Too many great tones to pick "the best".

However. Since witnessing G3 the other night I'd have to say Gilbert, Petrucci, and Satch absolutely have some of the best live tones I've ever heard.
post #65 of 111 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 06:05 AM

My favorite rhythm sound would be John Petrucci,just a wicked distortion,especially on Awake and some Liquid Tension Experiment stuff.Best lead 'tones' I've heard would be Paul Gilbert,Yngwie,Joe Satriani,oh and John Petrucci!Too many to mention really.
post #66 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 PM

Damn...I've been a member since about 2004 or so and I barely just started posting, haha. Anyways... as of 2008 my fav tones belong to: (no order)

Circus Maximus (perfect crunch and lead tones)
Scar Symmetry (awesome solo/lead tones)
Sonata Arctica (Jani Liimatainen)
Symphony X (how could I leave Romeo out?)

I know a lot of us already like/worship Romeo, but what do you guys think of Circus Maximus and the other 2? Sonata has been around for a while now as well... but not too many people know about Circus Maximus or Scar Symmetry.

Last edited by Mindcrime1204; 02-12-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: They found my old name again
post #67 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 PM

I've met Symphony X and Sonata Arctica, awesome to their fans. Me and Romeo talked Line 6 patches for a while . And as for Jani, I think you mean "ex-Sonata Arctica", apparently they kicked him out. My favorite tones:

1. Andy Timmons
2. Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
3. Dimebag

And as for Circus Maximus, their old album was great. The new one doesnt do anything for me, and after they royally sold out by canceling the North American tour to do a better paying Europe tour they've basically lost my respect
post #68 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:36 PM

Damn, bogus on canceling their American tour! But damn their **** OWNS man! And yeah... I totally forgot that Sonata doesn't have Jani no more, they have that new dude. He's alright... but Jani was one of my favs since back in HS. Saw Sonata a few years back, and met Symphony X back in 2002 or so. SX coming here April 25th!
post #69 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:40 PM

I know this may sound weird, but I really like Lenny Kravitz's tone. It's so simple, and so effective. So sue me :P
post #70 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:15 PM

Slash (Old slash GNR tones, not the newer VR ones, necessarily)
Angus Young (The opening chords on "Walk All Over You" gives me chills)
Paul Gilbert (Although hit or miss, depending on what period)
SRV
post #71 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM

Timmons for "modern" tone
Gilbert for "hair metal", but it's not really his tone that makes him sound good - it's his technique
Petrucci for prog rock
post #72 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime1204 View Post
Damn, bogus on canceling their American tour! But damn their **** OWNS man! And yeah... I totally forgot that Sonata doesn't have Jani no more, they have that new dude. He's alright... but Jani was one of my favs since back in HS. Saw Sonata a few years back, and met Symphony X back in 2002 or so. SX coming here April 25th!
The new dude I think is technically better than Jani but Jani's stage presence was definitely missed the last time i saw em. And yep, SX coming here in April too.
post #73 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:11 PM

um no one has mentioned James Hetfield? I know he's not really a lead player but he has the best metal tone ever achieved.

also brian may has got to be in there. and the really compressed tone robert fripp used occasionally on early king crimson albums...like the beginning of 'starless'...sounds like a psychadelic lullaby.
post #74 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM

nominations:

vinnie moore
andy timmons
john petrucci
satch
vai
eric johnson
guthrie govan
frank gambale
allan holdsworth
shawn lane
post #75 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte_za View Post
I know this may sound weird, but I really like Lenny Kravitz's tone. It's so simple, and so effective. So sue me :P
Dude, I so agree with you. I was listening to "I belong to you" yesterday and the guitar sound on that is awesome....even though he's just funkily striking chords....

Tags
alex lifeson , alex skolnick , allan holdsworth , andy timmons , angus young , blues saraceno , brett garsed , clean tone , david gilmour , digitech whammy , distortion pedal , dual recto , eddie van halen , eric johnson , fender twin , fender twin reverb , frank gambale , frank zappa , george benson , guitar players , guthrie govan , iron maiden , jason becker , jeff beck , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , john mayer , john petrucci , john sykes , kurt cobain , les paul , mark knopfler , marty friedman , mesa boogie , mesa triaxis , michael romeo , neal schon , neck pickup , pat metheny , paul gilbert , pinch harmonics , prog rock , ritchie blackmore , robben ford , robert fripp , satch tone , shawn lane , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughn , strat tone , ted nugent , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , tube distortion , twin reverb , van halen , vinnie moore , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode