Who has the best tone you have heard? - Page 6 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 04:52 PM

Re: Who has the best tone you have heard?

no one's mentioned him, so it may as well be me!

i absolutely dig george lynch's lynch mob tone. very warm, yet aggressive, full of harmonic content. but he's also a tone chameleon. sometimes he just sounds like crap (tone-wise).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM

So no one else has heard Circus Maximus on here but 2 people? Man... Matt (guitar player) has got some great rythem crunch, and awesome lead tone through his 7 string Ibanezs. Sweet progressive metal. Killer singer, too. He's prolly using DiMarzios but I dunno what model pups.
post #78 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM

Hasn't there already been like 5 million of these threads?

Eric Johnson is pretty well known to make some of the best sounds EVER come out of the guitar. Nobody even comes close to him IMO.
post #79 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 06:54 PM

Everytime I hear another 5-10 guitarist, I add another one or two to my list of favorite tones. There are so many good tones out there, and from many different styles.

Lately I've gotten to like the sound of a Fender Twin Reverb amp. So I'd like someone who plays through one of those. On the other end of the spectrum, I like the sound of a Hiwatt Custom 100 DR103.
post #80 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 07:21 PM

To me the best tones are:
1. Satch
2. Stevie Ray Vaughn
3. David Gilmour
4. Slash
5. Billy Gibbons
6. Gilbert
7. Michael Amott
8 Marty Friedman with Megadeth
post #81 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:49 AM

Best was John Petrucci from dream theater at the Sydney concert 2 weeks ago.
post #82 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 AM

I could never settle on what I think is the best tone, but here are a few of my favourite tonemonsters :

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, David Gilmour, Dave Murray, Brian May, Pat Metheny, Frank Zappa, Alex Lifeson and Robert Fripp.

Rock on!
post #83 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:45 AM

Reviews: 3

Never saw this thread but thought I'd chime in:

The king of tone for me is Ronnie Le Tekko of TNT. Unbelievable tone
post #84 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime1204 View Post
So no one else has heard Circus Maximus on here but 2 people? Man... Matt (guitar player) has got some great rythem crunch, and awesome lead tone through his 7 string Ibanezs. Sweet progressive metal. Killer singer, too. He's prolly using DiMarzios but I dunno what model pups.
Great player, excellent sound, band's sound is also excellent. Note that in many cases, what we're praising here is not so much the guitar player's tone, but the sound engineer's ability to translate the guitar player's sound into something great sounding within the mix.
post #85 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrime1204 View Post
Symphony X (how could I leave Romeo out?)

I know a lot of us already like/worship Romeo,
Great player, good music, but Romeo's tone has always been regarded of very low, which I quite agree with. It has finally improved a bit on Paradise Lost, but for the most part, I truly hate Line6 stuff. Cheap sounding. Digitech had stuff that sounded much better 15 years ago. You don't find may top players out there using Line6 nowadays. There is a reason.
post #86 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
nominations:

vinnie moore
andy timmons
john petrucci
satch
vai
eric johnson
guthrie govan
frank gambale
allan holdsworth
shawn lane
I like your list Shogun. I'd just leave out Satch. And as highlights, I'd mention
-Gambale, as having that gorgeous hollow almost acoustic tube distortion that sounds great for both leads and rhythm; back in his Electrik Band times when he was using JMP-1s. Greg Howe, as of lately, does sound a bit like that on some of his tunes. Govan has also that nasal type sound. Good stuff.
- Petrucci, well, everyone knows already. But Awake's being my favorite, though his has always been great along the years.
post #87 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 AM

David Gilmour
EVH - 1
Alex Lifeson
Vai
Satch
Petrucci
Steve Morse
Jeff Beck
Robin Trower
Ritchie Blackmore
Angus Young / Malcom Young
post #88 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:38 AM

Reviews: 4

I've been listening to Paul Gilbert these past months... I am amazed with his tone, really!
post #89 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusfmm View Post
I like your list Shogun. I'd just leave out Satch. And as highlights, I'd mention
-Gambale, as having that gorgeous hollow almost acoustic tube distortion that sounds great for both leads and rhythm; back in his Electrik Band times when he was using JMP-1s. Greg Howe, as of lately, does sound a bit like that on some of his tunes. Govan has also that nasal type sound. Good stuff.
- Petrucci, well, everyone knows already. But Awake's being my favorite, though his has always been great along the years.
thanks man... howwwwwww could I possibly forget Mr. Howe!!

I also forgot Ritchie Kotzen

p.s. i thought satrianis tone was horrible on G3 w/ ygnwie, but in the SF Dvd when he used marshall, it was fantastic, as well as on his new dvd.
post #90 of 111 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:58 AM

Tone is color.......I like red sports cars, Black luxury cars, and my everyday suv is pearl white. So tone is subjective as to the style of music for me. Alex Lifeson, and David Gilmore were the first tones that caught my ears in a big way. When I go back further than I am old, I can't help but think about Dick Dale. I like the Satch, Via, tones as well. I could go on all day. Petrucci is awesome in the tone dept. for the music he is playing. I left out about a hundred or so but this kinda' starts it off for me. I sometimes work with an Allen Holdsworth type of tone.

Tags
alex lifeson , alex skolnick , allan holdsworth , andy timmons , angus young , blues saraceno , brett garsed , clean tone , david gilmour , digitech whammy , distortion pedal , dual recto , eddie van halen , eric johnson , fender twin , fender twin reverb , frank gambale , frank zappa , george benson , guitar players , guthrie govan , iron maiden , jason becker , jeff beck , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , joe satriani , john mayer , john petrucci , john sykes , kurt cobain , les paul , mark knopfler , marty friedman , mesa boogie , mesa triaxis , michael romeo , neal schon , neck pickup , pat metheny , paul gilbert , pinch harmonics , prog rock , ritchie blackmore , robben ford , robert fripp , satch tone , shawn lane , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughn , strat tone , ted nugent , tom morello , tony iommi , tony macalpine , tube distortion , twin reverb , van halen , vinnie moore , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode