Why do I feel the need for a actual amp? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Why do I feel the need for a actual amp?

Besides GAS, I do not know why I want to buy a Quick Rod, JVM or Soldano HR50 or something like those but I do.

I do not play in a band, just home recording and jamming with friends very occasionally.

I have no exact NEED for a monster amp, but for some reason, I want one. Maybe I feel like I am missing out on something. The tweaking, my own tone, I dont know. I have had a JSX combo, a JCM 2000 and a Hot Rod Deluxe before and sold them, mostly because it is hard to record them in the room I have (10X10 with some soundproofing) I use a POD XT PRO through a saffire 6 into my Mac for recording and have a Mustang 1 also.

Anyone else own and use something they have no need for? Am I nuts?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 AM

Re: Why do I feel the need for a actual amp?

Almost everything I have, I have no need for
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 AM

I could justify owning an actual amp for the fun factor. The fact you're likely to turn them up louder than anything else means there's an element of interaction there that can sometimes be missing from amp models.

But ultimately, amp modelling is now so good and so easy, that for recording purposes, unless you accept your new amp is a frivolous, fun purchase, or you spend hours at a time mic adjusting, or your use is for a high end studio where only the real thing will ever do... amp models are just better sounding than anything you'll record at home using a real amp.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

I think that is where I am at, the fun factor. I dont even NEED to make music but it is a nice hobby. I dont NEED an amp but I want one, at least right now I do.

Your right, I do not expect to record with it unless I make some drastic soundproofing adjustments or clean out the closet and box it up for recording.

Thanks!!!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 AM

Reviews: 2

Oh yes, fun factor. Pluging your guitar in a real amp is always cooler. I sold my axe fx ultra to get the II. But then the jvm js came along, in a limited version, I just had to order it. And I also wondered many times: why exactly? trust your gut feeling lol
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

LOL well, my gut feeling says I'm nuts.

But I still want one. I have always wanted a half-stack, slanted 4X12 cab to just turn up as loud as I could stand.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:03 AM

Reviews: 11

Maybe go for a POD HD Pro, a 50W poweramp and a good 2x12?

It feels like you have a big amp when you actually have perfect recording gear as well as a good jamming and even live amp (if ever needed). And they really do have great tones.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:37 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.M.RG7620 View Post
Maybe go for a POD HD Pro, a 50W poweramp and a good 2x12?

It feels like you have a big amp when you actually have perfect recording gear as well as a good jamming and even live amp (if ever needed). And they really do have great tones.
^This
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:49 AM

To buy Guitars and or amps and other related gear always makes me feel good for some reason.
Even if it turns out im selling it the next week.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:49 AM

If you want a real amp, get a real amp. Don't settle for something that isn't quite what you want. Trust me, you'll feel better later. I've been settling for lesser gear for a long time...no more.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 PM

Like other posters pointed out, you don't NEED a guitar in the first place. If it challenges, inspires, delights, and magnifies you, makes you a bigger, better person, then those are your reasons for plugging an electric guitar into a hefty amplifier and rocking out.

Peace

Mike
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Here is what I have been dreaming about for 2 years since I first saw one. The sound is exactly what I want, just dont know how well it cleans up. Splawn Quick Rod with stripe.

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 02:49 PM

I used a 5150 + Mesa for practicing and live shows for a few years, but I've always used modeling software for recording. The POD HD can get you some pretty awesome tone. It's also fun to play around with tones you can make with just the software: In Propellerhead Record, you can use a Line6 amp with a pre-amp in front of it and get some pretty good metal tones (look for "We Are Vigilant" on Soundcloud for examples).

Right now, I use a 6505+ 1x12 combo plugged stereo into a Mesa 4x12... Yep, there is definitely something awesome about using some good ol' fashioned tube sound!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:44 PM

You should get that Splawn. I've got one (that I don't need) and its so much fun. Watch the remake of the Italian Job - when the guy talks about an amp that'll blow women's clothes off - i think of my Splawn.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinMmmmm View Post
You should get that Splawn. I've got one (that I don't need) and its so much .
That's what I'm thinking too!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode