wilkinson trems??? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

How to contact Gotoh???

Does anybody know where Wilkinson/Gotoh Tremolos are made???

Is this a company or just a style, why is it trademarked??

I want a custom Wilkinson Trem, I can get a Kahyler and a hipshot but why can't I find Wilkinson or the company on the net.

On one of the forum I recal someone saying they had a asian company design one for thwem custom, whats up whith that...anyone??

sgb

Last edited by steve bro; 10-15-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Re: wilkinson trems???

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...N_Tremolo.html

http://www.allparts.com/categories.p...ERN%20TREMOLOS

http://www.wdmusic.com/gotoh_wilkins...24796_prd1.htm

To the best of my knowledge, US distribution of Wilkinson tremolos is now a subsidary of Gotoh.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I realized that upon my searching the net I forgot Gotoh has them now. Do you know how to get in touch with Gotoh
Need custom information
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 02:15 PM

The above sources manufacture and/or sell Wilkinson licensed trems, but the real "source" is actually in the UK. Trevor Wilkinson is now affiliated with FretKing:
http://www.fretkingbitz.com/PreviewHTML/P_shop.html

I have no idea if there is any difference in quality between the Fret King distributed units and the Gotoh, Allparts or Carvin-licensed ones.

Incidentally, one thing I have found very confusing is the difference between the VS-50 and VS-100 units. Mighty Mite retails a "VS100" that has a different base and stud spacing that their VS50. But every other trem I see labeled "VS100" appears to have the same base and stud spacing as the cheaper VS50. In fact, even the VS100 on the Fret King site has a base matching the VS50.

Onward,
Bert
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:39 AM

Replying to an old post here :-)

As far as I've discovered the Wilkinson VS50 and VS100 bridges have some minor differences.

VS50 has zinc saddles and regular (?) steel post bolt

VS100 has stainless steel saddels and stainless steel post bolt

And I've also read that the VS50 has 10.8mm saddle while the VS100 has 10.5mm for some reason.

Both share the hardened steel plate (with similar knife edges) and the zinc block for strings/springs.

I really can't tell what sonic differences stainless steel has over zinc (or vice versa), or if this is more a cost issue. Does anybody know?

One other thing is the fitting of the vibrato arm. The VS100 has a adjustable fitting for the snugness of the arm, that the VS50 for some reson is missing. Again a cost issue?

I note however that the VS50 has a slightly higher retail price on various webshops than the VS100. So which is regarded the higher/preferred model? I thought the VS100.

Hope this helps!

Regards
John
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 PM

if you really want a quality trem
there is nothing on the market that can beat the tone/tonal variations, or available adjustment that a kahler provides

and its mechanism is second to none
but the floyds also have a "charachterised" sound that they have.
but in quality and tone i love the kahlers. i had TONS of floyd guitars in the past...when i played my first kahler(80's model), i hated floyds forever.
and when i played the new style kahlers i was in love at first feel!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 03:00 PM

Are they interchangeable? I saw a Harley Benton Fusion model and with the 50IIK and wanted to but a brass trem block, but it's only available for the VS100. Other than pickups I have seen with other guitars that I've done a block upgrade that there is a tonal difference. It's not a make or break upgrade, but it would be nice to have the option

Tags
wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode