Willpower - I was a good boy - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Willpower - I was a good boy

I was at Long & McQuade's North York store before going to school yesterday, and saw a beautiful Ibanez Soundgear 406NT bass... and i didn't buy it.

Normally the lower-end SR's don't catch my eye... the plain maple bodies are a bit too plain for my tastes. But this one was unusual in that it had fairly extensive figuring over about 2/3 of the solid maple body! Very nice, considering if it were a model that was supposed to have a quilted top, it probably would have cost twice as much! So it was just a fluke piece of wood in their stock that resulted in a stunning instrument.

I pulled it down off the wall and noodled around on it a bit... extremely comfortable to play (no wonder so many bass players love them), and that 6-string neck is just amazing! It's so wide, you could land a plane on that thing. The pickups were clear as a bell, but seemed a bit cold, though. Even with the neck pickup selected and the treble and mids rolled off, it couldn't produce that deep "thump" that i really like, but i probably could have dialed that in at the amp.

So why didn't i buy it? Well, i really love 6-string basses, and this one was a beautiful specimen of a very affordable instrument. (C$680 on the price tag)

Do i need it? No. Do i want it? Yes, of course!

But i talked myself out of it, mainly because this isn't a good time for me to be shelling out more cash... i really need to force myself to play the guitars i've already got before i buy any more.

I'm sure i'll have many opportunities to cure my G.A.S. in the future, but it sure is hard to pass on a beautiful axe that doesn't come along every day.

Sometimes, i'm so pragmatic it hurts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 03:34 PM

Willpower

I think it's called growing up man. *LOL
Recently I sold off some stuff to help support my G.A.S fund but then my Mastercard Bill showed up *Well, I'm going back to school soon so I did the smart thing and payed down the card, no new gear, not that I need anything really but like you, I just can't pass up a deal :biggrin:
Oh to be able to act 18 (I'm only 23, why am I growing up so fast!!!!)
Jeremy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 11:22 PM

Willpower

NOOO!!! *stop it! *Stop saying things like that, it BURNS!!!!!

Must.... resest..... must.... not........give in...... need.......more .......guitars....... ahhhhhhh!!!!!!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Willpower

Heh. My G.A.S. doesn't burn as badly as it does for some other Jemsite folks, for sure... but i've definitely bought and sold more guitars than i would have liked over the years.

Let's see... i had an Ibanez RS-440... sold that to a friend after a couple of years. Got a Lado pointy guitar (Laser-1 model, serial number 001) and played the hell out of that for a few years. I acquired my first Roland G-707 guitar as a backup, then i saw a great deal on a G-707 with the pedalboard/synth unit, so i snapped it up. Yes. I have two of those freakish guitars, but one pedalboard.

Then i took the course at Twelfth Fret and built my own solidbody, which i still play 12 years later.

In 1990, i traded my Lado towards a Yamaha Motion bass. (Got soaked on that deal, but nobody wanted pointy guitars in 1990.) I was going to rip the frets out of the Yamaha bass, because it played and sounded spectacular, but being a short-scale bass, my luthier advised against it, saying the lower string tension would never give me a really satisfying fretless sound. So i sold it to a friend and bought my mongrel Fender Precision fretless with EMGs. (I really miss that Yamaha.)

Last year i bought myself a Parker Fly Classic. And i've still got that G.A.S. burning in my belly. I'm undecided as to whether i want a 6-string bass or a 7-string guitar. Ideally, i'd like to build it myself, but will settle for modding a store-bought guitar. Either way, i won't be making any gear acquisitions for at least a few months.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 02:45 AM

Willpower

I know, it hurts, like eating jalepeno's and feeling the next morning!!!
I cried when I decided to pass up toys for reality. *Actually about the only reason I payed the CC first is the UV that I was hoping to buy got sold the day before I got the check that was going to pay for it. *Dammit!!!!
Well, maybe it was for the better, all I know is my CC is payed and as soon as I get back from school it will be right back up there with either the purchase of a DNA or an Eventide harmonizer. *Yeah, all the junk I've got and still no Eventide. *Oh well, JUNK FOR JOY!!!!:biggrin:

Tags
neck pickup , parker fly , parker fly classic , string bass , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in